Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I kept hearing about a lot of issues regards any car that has a turbo-charged engine and how you should pamper it, so you don't end up paying for fixing it.

Do you think these old pieces of advice still applicable on the 3008 to start it slowly, give it time, drive it like a grandma, wait before turning off the engine, be on the clock with the maintenance)?

Another question, if I will be super careful with the maintenance, does Peugeot produce a maintenance book to list all the schedules and when to change what, or where should I find such an info?

Regards

·
Registered
420 Posts
The short answer is yes, you should not drive like you stole the car when the engine is cold and maintenance should always be done at the times specified by the manufacturer. This applies to all ICE, not only turbo engines. Also, don't race the car and turn the engine straight off.

It's not the speed you are driving in that is bad, it's how hard you load the engine when it's cold (or about to be shut down) that is the problem. Hard acceleration, pulling heavy cargo or driving up steep hills is hard load for engines. Many modern engines have sensors that measure how hot the engine is when it's turned off. That's why you often hear fans running when the engine are off on hot days (as I imagine it is where you live). However, it's not a failsafe against reckless driving.

A few nice rules to remember is:
* do not accelerate hard until the engine temperature is normal
* have fun when the engine is in normal operating temperatures
* do not accelerate hard a few minutes before you turn the engine off

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Mrs has more than once sat in the car looked at me and wondered why I've not stopped the engine or why I've not started driving. She also has a lead foot - my car is doomed.

In all seriousness there's a couple of reasons why a diesel you should listen to the "aaaar" the "eeeer" and "mmmmrrr" as it's a good indication of engine temps.
The diesel does heat up quicker than my old TDCI as it's designed to reach the right combustion temperature band to reduce emissions. However if you listen to the engine noise then you can tell if it's really warmed up.

aaaar - the 'aaar' sound is the cold engine not ready, little oil and at the wrong viscosity. It's likely that the emissions aren't good and the DPF is getting hammered on hard acceleration..

eeeer - the sound gives way to a more dampened sound "err', where the oil is getting to the right spots and the engine is starting to warm up so tolerances are getting better and the oil viscosity is good.

mmmrrr - running temps, the oil is at the right thickness and the tolerances too.. it's ready for some hard driving and this is what it should sound like for a diesel.

If I have a large amount of luggage etc then before I start getting into big hills then it's got to be at "mmmrr" sound. If the car is started and ends the journey in the "aaaarrr" sound then it's not good and we should be using our little petrol matiz for the short trips.

·
8,218 Posts
My rule of thumb is always to start engine then put on seatbelt etc and drive off after around 30 secs. Then drive normally but try not to use hard acceleration until temp gauge is moving. and when stopping seat belt etc off then after around 30 secs switch off.

Also only use good quality oil (I use Mobil 1) and service twice a year (every 12.5K for me due to distance i drive).

My last 307 had 287K miles on the clock with original turbo so must have done something right.

Also with all modern cars they do not need to be run in for a 1000 miles like the old days. Following old running in practice can cause modern engines to end up with glazed bores and poor oil consumption long term

Reactions: RamyTtsh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rule of thumb is always to start engine then put on seatbelt etc and drive off after around 30 secs. Then drive normally but try not to use hard acceleration until temp gauge is moving. and when stopping seat belt etc off then after around 30 secs switch off.

Also only use good quality oil (I use Mobil 1) and service twice a year (every 12.5K for me due to distance i drive).

My last 307 had 287K miles on the clock with original turbo so must have done something right.

Also with all modern cars they do not need to be run in for a 1000 miles like the old days. Following old running in practice can cause modern engines to end up with glazed bores and poor oil consumption long term

Thanks a lot for this comment, it was like the whole sentences I wanted to hear exactly, as I'm planning to run my car for 250000 km in 5 years and trying to see how to reach that goal with minimum expenses , that's why I'm asking about all that and you even have answered me about another question was in my head for the first 1000 miles treatment,, I can't thank you enough.

Although thanks for everyone answers, I really appreciate that and I love that I found this forums, thanks you a lot guys.
Cheers for the 3008 owners :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts