Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the Peugeot dealership and was discussing what's the service needed for my car.
He dazzled me with the following:
1 - No need to slowly drive the car for the first 1000 Miles.
2 - There is 2 type of service they will be providing:
A) Every 10000 KM, Change Engine Oil and Filter only.
B) Every 20000 KM, Change for Air Filter, AC Filter & ٍSpark Plugs.
3 - No need to change the gearbox oil as it's a lifetime oil.
4 - There is no Taimen belt in this car, as it uses chain belt and it's a lifetime.
Do you guys agree with that, or there is something wrong in that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is true, unlike Japs cars, no run-in needed, but pls go slow before your engine is warm up and avoid hard accelerations.

I'm puzzled on such minimum maintenance. Save cost becoz its free servicings? (I'm given 3 years of free servicing)

Request & insist to change gearbox oil at 60k. No matter how good the lubricant is, prolong usage will weaken its property.

I'm can confirmed that the 1.2 puretech 130bhp engine is using timing belt & not chain. Therefore need periodic change.
Can't comment on other engines though.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I'm of the opinion that nothing lasts forever so depending on how long the car lasts will depend on wether the timing chain and gearbox oil ever need replacing.

Manufaturers have a different idea of the life of a car. They obviously have a much shorter time span than other people after all, if they built the car forever they wouldn't sell so many new ones.

Chances are you will have replaced the car long before either need changing so unless you are planning on keeping the car for 10 or more years it likely won't be something you will need to worry about. If you want future owners of the car to have the best out of the car then you can do your own added intermediate servicing though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Request & insist to change gearbox oil at 60k. No matter how good the lubricant is, prolong usage will weaken its property.
This -- there's quite a bit of advise on this from previous auto owners (even though EAT6 is a newer gearbox).

A friend who used to have a subuaru impreza used to change the oil every 1/2 year because the turbos actually destroy the oil polymer chains resulting in oil that becomes more fluid and doesn't lubricate properly.

Your brake fluid should be changed every couple of years to stop water being absorbed into the fluid too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is true, unlike Japs cars, no run-in needed, but pls go slow before your engine is warm up and avoid hard accelerations.

I'm puzzled on such minimum maintenance. Save cost becoz its free servicings? (I'm given 3 years of free servicing)

I'm can confirmed that the 1.2 puretech 130bhp engine is using timing belt & not chain. Therefore need periodic change.
Can't comment on other engines though.
Yes, I'm given 3 years free service.
I'm having the 1.6 petrol 165 engine, don't know if it's chain or not, and Peugeot doesn't have any technical document or source to refer to its data or services.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm of the opinion that nothing lasts forever so depending on how long the car lasts will depend on wether the timing chain and gearbox oil ever need replacing.

Manufaturers have a different idea of the life of a car. They obviously have a much shorter time span than other people after all, if they built the car forever they wouldn't sell so many new ones.

Chances are you will have replaced the car long before either need changing so unless you are planning on keeping the car for 10 or more years it likely won't be something you will need to worry about. If you want future owners of the car to have the best out of the car then you can do your own added intermediate servicing though.
Well said, yes, I'm planning to keep it for 300,000 KM 6 years. ( if ever Peugeot can last till that time :D )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just came back from the Peugeot dealership and was discussing what's the service needed for my car.
He dazzled me with the following:
1 - No need to slowly drive the car for the first 1000 Miles.
2 - There is 2 type of service they will be providing:
A) Every 10000 KM, Change Engine Oil and Filter only.
B) Every 20000 KM, Change for Air Filter, AC Filter & ٍSpark Plugs.
3 - No need to change the gearbox oil as it's a lifetime oil.
4 - There is no Taimen belt in this car, as it uses chain belt and it's a lifetime.
Do you guys agree with that, or there is something wrong in that?
I wouldn't agree with the point 1

just check out this video :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have seen this video and I believe in it, however, there is always the second opinion ut there, someone commented by this:

I am an engineer with one of largest manufacturers of engines in the world, a company that sells billions of dollars of them every year. Items #1 and #2 are terribly incorrect.

EVERY engine that we manufacture goes from assembly into a test cell where it is started, warmed up, and sent immediately to 100% full load. Yes, it is "floored."

When we do engine testing, even prototype engines are assembled (mostly with Lubriplate 105), warmed up with standard petroleum oil, and immediately go to full rated horsepower while the dyno pulls them down from rated HP to the lowest RPM of torque peak.

Almost every automotive manufacturer follows this practice as well. So do motorcycle manufacturers. I personally saw new Ducatis going off the line in Bologna into a chassis dyno where they were started, briefly warmed, and then immediately run up AT FULL LOAD all the way to redline.

Why do they do this?

1) The freshly honed/machined surfaces can only do an ideal break-in when they are, in fact, fresh. Once the asperities and surfaces begin to smooth, they lose the ability to mate with each other properly.

2) It prevents customer complaints of high oil consumption and poor MPG because customers tend to follow outdated, bad advice like babying a new engine.

Back when machining and honing technology was far less advanced, and tolerances could not be held as well, there was perhaps some validity to babying a new engine. But this advice is woefully out of date.

Instead, the best thing you can for a new engine is:
1) Warm it up to full operating temperature
2) Do several full throttles runs that stop well short of redline
3) Idle the engine to let it cool a bit
4) Repeat steps 2&3 several times
5) Change the oil and filter.

Done.

By and large, new engines require almost no break in at all because of the "abuse" they suffer at the factory. That's why they can ship new cars like Corvettes with Mobil 1 from the factory. No need to worry about the synthetic preventing break-in when the engine is already broken in before installing in the car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The timing belt is a lubricated long life one.

I've never done anything thing other than baby my vehicles in the run in period (and beyond) and after 50+ years of numerous new cars, never had a single oil consumption issue.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had another courtesy call from Sales about how I'm getting on with my new 3008.

They advised that I can have a 1000 mile/6 week check free of charge carried out. Allow an hour and a half. I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere in the service book.

Anyone know what they really do during this check? They said it wasn't compulsory and wouldn't affect my service record if I didn't have it done. I'm guessing its one of those vehicle health checks.

Sales did say that if any software updates were due, they would be flagged, so I wonder if I can get them to do the telematics software/map update?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had another courtesy call from Sales about how I'm getting on with my new 3008.

They advised that I can have a 1000 mile/6 week check free of charge carried out. Allow an hour and a half. I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere in the service book.

Anyone know what they really do during this check? They said it wasn't compulsory and wouldn't affect my service record if I didn't have it done. I'm guessing its one of those vehicle health checks.

Sales did say that if any software updates were due, they would be flagged, so I wonder if I can get them to do the telematics software/map update?
Pretty normal
Basically checking levels and possibly leaks.......to cover themselves

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.