Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm about to replace my front lower suspension arms soon, just wondered if anyone else on the forums have done this before? This is the first time I've delved this deep into my car, I've had a look at my Haynes manual and from the looks of it, it doesn't seem extremely complicated.

But are there any tips or anything I should watch out for while carrying out these repairs?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've got to do mine as well. Biggest issue seems to be that shafts interfere with one of the bolts and so need to come out or the sub frame needs to be dropped a little. Personally, I'll remove the shafts but won't be tackling it for a few weeks......there are some threads on it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you done it before britnbe? I think I'm going to tackle it tomorrow after I finish work get one side done at least. If you think it'll help, I can take a few photos of the steps I took? Obviously this'll be a steep learning curve for me too

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have you done it before britnbe? I think I'm going to tackle it tomorrow after I finish work get one side done at least. If you think it'll help, I can take a few photos of the steps I took? Obviously this'll be a steep learning curve for me too

Matte Black 01' 307
on a 307, no. The last time I changed control arms on a car was about 20 years ago on a Citroen AX. Photos are always useful and appreciated :thumb::nod:

·
Registered
437 Posts
One of my concerns with changing lower arms is the lower ball joint as it is very easy to damage the dust covers which is a mot fail these days.

·
Registered
687 Posts
One of my concerns with changing lower arms is the lower ball joint as it is very easy to damage the dust covers which is a mot fail these days.
Concern shared.....could make the job significantly bigger. Someone suggested the replacement boots for them from eBay. I plan on using the hammer the control arm trick to free them off.

·
5,653 Posts
Once the ball joint is disconnected you can often get enough side to side movement on the hub to remove the bolt without disconnecting drive shaft or dropping sub frame

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Urgh English weather does not want me to change these arms! Anyone got any detailed exploded drawings perhaps, of how the lower suspension arm is attached? Seems pretty straightforward but with a student budget, I'm not keen on breaking anything haha.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Not sure on 307 but when we done the 406 we just took the lower engine steady bolt out this allowed the engine to rock forward taking the shaft with it meaning the bolt came out no bother.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't have time today due to the damn weather again, arrgghh. But I managed to get enough time to jack her up and have a look underneath, all three fixings for the arm are accessible from the bottom? I don't understand whats stopping me from doing this without pulling out the drive shaft? surely I can undo the fixings and do a straight swap??

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Its a Peugeot everything that looks easy is hard :)

you need to remove the nuts underneath then push the bolts up to remove the arm this is when the shafts get in the way !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a Peugeot everything that looks easy is hard :)

you need to remove the nuts underneath then push the bolts up to remove the arm this is when the shafts get in the way !
There always has to be something doesn't there, you'd think I'd have worked that out by now :rolleyes: Does that only apply to the part of the arm that is attached to the steering knuckle? or the two bolts further in too?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Storeman, you're a god send! thank you!, won't be need the ball joint remover, but that guide on removing it is perfect. Looking at that, think I feel a lot more confident about attacking that tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts