Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right my lower joint on the drivers side seems to have failed, I think this was on it's way out when I got the car but now it's been condemned as unfit and is getting replaced on Saturday!

I have a friend with a nice garage unit and he has agreed to change the unit (says it looks like the secret love child of a trunnion and a ball joint lol). Problems came when trying to source the part so I was sure that I had the correct one ... haha ... fun!
There appears to be 2 different types available and the expensive option is for modified hubs or something £40 ish is for the cheap one and on my trade account £71.14 for just the part :eek:! Don't go to peugeot for it as they will rape your wallet for an amazing £90 +VAT (wanker tax) just for the part!

What is the difference between the 2 parts ???? I have been told you can buy and fit either to any 407 but I am inclined to disagree!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Fitted loads,not sure about two types? Just quote the reg` no`and you will get the correct one.
Its very important to fit the top quality O/E swivel bearings.GSF supplied me with genuine SKF ones at £56.10 including VAT each.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
They are NOT ball joints and you are correct there are sort of 2 different ones as Peugeot modified them but they are not interchangeable.

To use the modified type you need to also change other parts as the joint is a different diameter I believe it comes as a complete unit from Peugeot !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.k, peugeot told me it was the expensive one ... the motor factor I use (all be it expensive) cross referenced the part number with peugeot to get the one that they have supplied 120% sure it's the right one!
I believe that the modified hubs were fitted on the later cars as the cheaper part is quoted up to 12/2007? and the expensive part from 01/2008? not sure if that's the right year though for the change over ... I also have the SKF one and I'm told it's the best one to fit !!
Here's for hoping I guess when we take it to pieces lol

·
5,027 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
£25 for two swivel bearings and bolts !!! they must be "very high quality" ??
I know they are ridiculously cheep but remember we are talking about a serious safety item.I would not touch them with a barge pole.

·
5,027 Posts
been absolutely fine on my last 2 407's. lasted at least as long as the oe parts........................................infact they lasted longer than the car's did :rolleyes:

·
5,027 Posts
here is a photo i took showing old and new frip joint,this was an oe part that lasted about 18 months on my first 407,as i bought them as a pair i had a spare in the cupboard but decided to try an experiment with a modified (cheapy) that had a bearing pressed into the housing,rather than just these rollers (that rust and fail as soon as water gets in) sadly that car got written off before either side failed so that test was ended

this photo shows the oe part next to the modified (cheapy) as you can see you got new bolts with the cheapy but not with the oe

·
5,027 Posts
2 years BUT how many miles ??????????????

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good question , I'm at 180,000 but not sure how many in last two years , I would guess 50'000
I'm 35000 mls in on my 'modified' ones, i pressed in my own bearing at work and drilled a drain hole in the bottom of each casting then packed it full of marine grease. been fine ever since and i live on a road with the BIGGEST speedhumps in the world.

its worth noting that the bearing isn't a standard 6205 it has a 27mm bore NOT 25mm as it should be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what year is your car ??

oh and this is what i would fit if its the earlier one, which it will be as the modified ones don't fail................................................................Apparently :lol:

Peugeot 407 Front Suspension Lower Bottom Ball Joints With Bolts x2 | eBay
the car is 30th January 2008 (57 reg) but it has done 211k now and I don't know if they have ever been changed ... there is not a jot of play in the passenger front joint, only the drivers which is FUBAR ! I mean you can see the play visually in the joint as well as feel the play lol

Motor factors and peugeot insisted that the expensive SKF joint was the one that I had to fit, hence why I presumed it must be the modified fitment

·
5,027 Posts
word of caution, if there is that much play, the stub may be worn and you will need a new hub, not too bad if its spotted early as there are only about £170 from the dealers as a kit, with wheelbearing/hub/lower frip joint (or at least they were the last time i looked)
people have bought from eurocarparts etc then needed the hub and wasted there money.

·
5,027 Posts
just checked and for my vin its £172 for everything highlighted and thats from main dealers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Argh .... don't tell me that lol!

How do you tell if it's the balljoint that's worn and not the stub that's worn??
As it stands I have 0 knocks or bangs (not that I can hear anyway) and I know that there is a fair amount of play in that joint! Also the steering can be quite juddery, particularly on the drivers side wheel (the one with the play in the joint) and this is felt through the steering wheel at low speeds ... The car also feels like there is a front wheel out of balance when travelling at or around 80mph on the speedo, I know this is the drivers wheel wobbling around though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts