Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some level headed advice required.
Front Ball joint has gone on, I've done loads of these on other cars, but struggling for time so asked garage for a quote, they have said £90! Seems a bit pricey, their reasoning was its sweatted in and a swinging arm! Looking at the Haynes bible and service box it seems it's screwed into the hub carrier.
Personally, it looks an easy job, but I don't want to start it and hit problems.

Hence I ask you lot.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's an absolute bast**d of a job.

The joint is screwed into the hub, and the thread is very fine. Mine were virtually bonded solid together.

I had to swing off a 6ft scaffold bar just to break the bond, followed by prolonged use of a windy impact wrench. It took bloody ages.

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
It is screwed in we done 2 last week and they were quite easy !

We have also done some that were as tight as jimmy says above its all down to luck but i recon £90 is a bit much.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Make sure you have a high quality deep socket (41mm if memory serves), if you don't, either borrow one or take it to a repair shop.
£90 is a bit steep if it all goes according to plan, if it turns into a trial of Hercules you will have got a bargain.

Roger.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you take the hub carrier off to get the ball joint off or leave it in place?

I was thinking of in place, but now not sure.

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
It can be done in situ but if you dont have a strong impact wrench it wont be easy as to break the initial grip of the locking tabs needs a fair bit of force.

The 2 we done last week were done without an impact wrench we used a big bar on the socket and a bit of flat bar bolted to 2 wheel studs to hold hub steady it took 2 people and a lot of grunting :)

you need to hold the hub while trying to loosen it and thats the hardest part if you can break its grip the rest should be easy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did one yesterday had to buy a 41mm deep socket, tried for ages with the stilsons wouldn't budge, went to the local motor factors 1/2 41mm deep socket £10 put that on the breaker bar and came straight off. Th part only cost £11.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
if they have been off before there normally ok. its just the hard bit of breaking the joint as the hubs at a weird angle. if you straighten it it makes it easier

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did both a few weeks ago and had to weld the 41mm socket onto a 6-foot long thick-walled steel tube to get enough leverage to get `em off, and they fought me all the way. A bit of heat helped,too.
I was a bit concerned about getting the new ball joints back on as the threads on the hubs were slightly distorted due to the thread picking up on removal, but i managed to get the new ones screwed in OK - not easy swinging a 6-foot long pole around at half a turn at a time!
I strapped up the hub to prevent twisting using heavy chain.
If something does go wrong though (threads) you`re fecked..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts