Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies for the long rambling story but I do not know what information / details are important.
My actual questions are at the end.

My car's engine management light has come on - and gone into limp mode.
I took it to my local garage. They scanned and found 3 fault codes: -

P1351
IDM input circuit Malfunction/Ignition coil control circuit High voltage
SID 803/EDC16C3 - Pre/Post heating relay circuit. Relay not controlled and glow plugs supplied.

P2408
Additive system. Fuel tank cap presence sensor.

P1445
Purge flow sensor circuit High input
(Taken to mean Additive system. Quantity of additive too high.)

They said that they cannot do anything with the additive system and suggested that it would be worth going to Peugeot dealer, getting them to fix the P2408 + P1445 and see if that fixes the problem before going to the expense of changing the glow plugs.
[PS The car has been starting fine even in this cold weather so I did not suspect the glow plugs]

They cleared the codes and sent me on my way.

On the motorway, car running fine, I put my foot down (as a test).
Engine light came on immediately.
Car went into limp mode then STOPPED! I started the car (I wanted to get off the motorway and limped the 4 miles to work).
A mate has a cheap ODBII scanner. Plugged it in and it reports the same 3 faults as above *plus* 2 others: -

P0083
(Fuel leak - major)

P0087
Low pressure on fuel line

I got the RAC out. He plugged in his ODBII and got the same errors. He did a quick inspection around the injectors. Could see no visible leaks.
I followed him to local Peugeot dealer and checked my car in for a diagnostics.

They have found the same problems and have suggested the following work: - (please see images)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99991256/Quote1.PNG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99991256/Queot2.PNG

I can rule out the heat shield problem - I have known about that for a while - it is not a problem.
Also the car needs a service but (I assume that I can get that done at my local garage - which is a bit cheaper).

My question (finally!)
Q1 : The Peugeot garage has stated that the ECU will never initiate a filter regeneration cycle if there are ANY fault codes.
Therefore I need to clear all fault codes (else the particulate filter will eventually get blocked and cause more trouble).
Is that true?

Q2 : Seeing as I have to get the additive from Peugeot, does the quote for filling the additive tank seem reasonable
(or would it be worth me buying the additive from them and getting another garage to fill it up?)

Q3 : Considering that the weather has been cold but not THAT cold (i.e. 0°C) - does it seem likely that diesel waxing could be causing the low pressure?
Would this be a sensible thing for the garage to change before checking for other possible problems (i.e. leaks on the line etc)

Many thanks in advance for any information. PS I know next to nothing about cars.

Chris

D

·
0 Posts
First of all get heater plugs and a fuel cap presence sensor fitted and that'll cure alot of your bothers.
Fuel pressure faults can be down to alot of things. Start with changing the fuel filter if its not been done lately. Oh and fill the additive tank.
This will all cost money and theres no easy and cheap way around it. No point.having a car like this if you can't mind it.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

Re: the fuel cap presence sensor - from what I have found on this forum, this seems like a fairly common fault code.

Is there a way of verifying that it definitively is the sensor at fault and not something else (this post suggests that the sensor can be checked with a multi meter.

I am just scared of paying > £200 to get this changed only to discover that it is actually an ECU or wiring problem.

D

·
0 Posts
Go to your dealer and get them to check the wiring as well as the sensor. There are ways of checking them easy enough.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to your dealer and get them to check the wiring as well as the sensor. There are ways of checking them easy enough.

Sent from my GT-S5690
The car is at my Peugeot dealer.
I will ask them to check the wiring (hopefully it is not a long job!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

I have had the fuel filter changed - that (hopefully) has fixed the low fuel pressure problem (well the garage took it for a 30m test drive and it got me the 20m home).

However I am reluctant to go ahead and do the rest of the work. If I was reasonably certain that it would fix the problems then I would definitively have it done because (up until this point) the car has been very reliable and suits us down the ground.

But both the dealer and another private garage have warned me that: -
a) the glow plugs can be a b**** of a job; they have been known to seize in and snap off when they try to take them out. Which can at best turn the job into a very long one or at worse require the head to taken off!

b) replacing the sensor and refilling the additive tank is no way guaranteed to fix the 2 other faults (high additive and presence sensor) - sometimes there are other underlying causes.

c) even if they do do all the work and and all the faults go away, it sounds like there is still a risk that the particulate filter may have already been clogged up and not regenerate properly when they do a forced regen after they fill up the additive.

So it seems like a quite expensive gamble. Perhaps I would be better cutting my losses and putting that money into a new (well 2nd hand) car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have just got a quote from another garage and they are much cheaper

£80 glow plugs
£70 fuel cap presence sensor

At that price I think it is worth a gamble to see if it clears the faults and then get my additive filled.

D

·
0 Posts
Have just got a quote from another garage and they are much cheaper

£80 glow plugs
£70 fuel cap presence sensor

At that price I think it is worth a gamble to see if it clears the faults and then get my additive filled.
Little do they know they can snap in the head! It can take hours to remove them.
I think this garage will loose their shirt on this job! :D

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are worried about the dpf not regenerating properly and remaining blocked, why dont you just get it removed, and then you wont have to bother about refilling the additive tank, theres plenty of places about that can remove the dpf and reprograme the ecu..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are worried about the dpf not regenerating properly and remaining blocked, why dont you just get it removed, and then you wont have to bother about refilling the additive tank, theres plenty of places about that can remove the dpf and reprograme the ecu..
Thanks for the response Steve.

Is the car still legal after the particulate filter has been removed? ie. will it not fail the MOT because of too much soot?

Or is this something that is not measured during the test?

·
Registered
35 Posts
As far as i know it will still pass an mot, there are a few garages round this way that do dpf removal that are also mot stations, i dont think it is part of the mot, yet, but when it is bought in , it will only apply to new cars..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I had the glow plugs and the fuel cap sensor done at the local garage and had the additive refilled at my Pug dealer. But the additive too high code (P1445) still remains.

Any idea if / when this will clear itself?

This post [http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/407-41/fault-code-p1445-15077/] suggests that it might be due to the garage not resetting the FAP counter . Si this correct? If so, I will take it back to the dealer and ask them to finish the job properly.

D

·
0 Posts
Additive too high fault is actually a additive too low fault. Theres some sort of translation error in the software. Sounds like the counters were not reset.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Additive too high fault is actually a additive too low fault. Theres some sort of translation error in the software. Sounds like the counters were not reset.
Thanks David.

The garage invoice says something about the ECU being reset but perhaps they did not reset all or the right counters. I shall give the garage a ring - I do hope that they do not try and charge me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts