Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. A quick query for those more knowledgeable than myself. Does the 207 have a low coolant alarm? It has a noise or alert for most other things, seems odd it does not have one for such a critical system.

Reason I ask is that mine managed to eject over a litre of coolant and the first I knew about it was that the blower went cold.

Currently looking for the leak and have replaced the cap which is where the coolant seems to have been ejected from. It can loose half a litre on a 30 mile trip, top it up and loose none on the same trip back home.

Thanks in advance

13,429 Posts
Nothing official but the 307s often do three beeps at startup if coolant is low.

It may also depend if you have a level sensor on your expansion tank.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks for confirming that Gibbo. There is no sensor on the tank, I was hoping there might have been a sensor lower down.
I look at a few 207s in Servicebox and I couldn't find any with a coolant level sensor.

My 307 1.6l petrol version doesn't have one so I was intrigued by Gibbo's comment about the 307 having a coolant level sensor. I look at several 307 configurations in Peugeot servicebox and it looks like most (if not all) 307 diesel have coolant level sensors whereas most petrol version don't.

I would be more concerned about the coolant blowing out. I had a problem with my 307 cooling system several years ago. The Peugeot dealer's service centre insisted it was a sensor fault and changed the sensors twice. After one repair attempt a couple of litre of coolant blew out via the expansion tank. I think they got some air in the system when they changed the sensors. The actual fault was an intermittent thermostat. If the car started from cold all was good but when the engine was restarted while still warm the thermostat would jam shut.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up regards the thermostat. That would be my next place to investigate. I have changed the coolant cap as the threads on the old one were worn and it could click loose again before before I could sufficiently tighten it. I'm monitoring the level after every trip and it seems to be holding up, I have also bled the system again. I'm hoping it will resolve the issue or at least limp along until spring and the weather is warmer as I hate working on cars in the dark and cold.

I'm suitably surprised that there is no alarm for such a critical system, whereas Peugeot have included a beep or alarm for so many seemingly less critical items.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
It would be interesting to know the rationale of having a coolant level sensor on some cars and not others. I have had my 307 from new and rarely have to top up the coolant.

Let's hope it was just air in the system. Peugeot recommend using a header tank when refilling the system to stop air getting in.

Some 207s have a piloted thermostat (depends on the engine type) which means replacing a complete housing.

· Registered
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 VTi, 2009
166 Posts
I have had bad thermostat (it was stuck open and leaking coolant at random times) and even the expansion tank had some drips on its side from a very tiny hole. No coolant level sensor on mine either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts