Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I've been getting the 'STOP' warning flashing with the water icon lit up on my 2001 307 HDi. And on the display above the radio it also says coolant level is low and needs filling up. Thing is, it's wrong as there's always enough coolant and the gauge never goes to overheating. When I've gone to top it up, I can see plenty of water. So I pour some more water in right to the top and the messages disappear. Topped it up again this morning right to the top, the message disappeared but this time, it came back. So whatever controls the messages is playing up or being oversensitive. I'm going to take the car to an auto electrician but any idea what might cause this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will probably find that you need a new coolant level sensor. I think it is in the top of the expansion tank

CITROEN /PEUGEOT 307/407 2001 - 2007 HDi COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR 9642434480 | eBay

PEUGEOT 307 1.6 HDI COOLANT HEADER TANK EXPANSION BOTTLE & LEVEL SENSOR | eBay

I would advise you to buy new though but hope this pics help a little
Thanks Colin, helps a lot! I'd better take the car to my auto mechanic to check it out and yes it probably will be the sensor. Are brand new ones much more expensive than £10? I wish I was handy with cars but I just know I couldn't manage to change the sensor myself. Changing bulbs, topping up oil and water and inflating tyres is the extent of my skills.

C

·
0 Posts
If i recall I think they just twist out give eurocar parts a call & the dealers and see what they charge for the part then if it is above your ability to change then shop around I would expect it to be cheap to fit by someone with a garage

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
never trust the level sensors on peugeot lol

I learnt this with my oil level sensor...it would say empty but dipstick says its good and full

Just keep a manual check to make sure the coolant is OK and between the min and max mark.

Oh from what i hear dont just use water, that will cause issues later in winter if it freezes :thumb:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
never trust the level sensors on peugeot lol

I learnt this with my oil level sensor...it would say empty but dipstick says its good and full

Just keep a manual check to make sure the coolant is OK and between the min and max mark.

Oh from what i hear dont just use water, that will cause issues later in winter if it freezes :thumb:
oil level one is fine.

the coolant level means it flashes stop. beeps all day and flashes up top up coolant on the middle display

not quite something that you can put up with. id buy one for a tenner used for sure to get rid of the noise lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, looking more closely at and inside my coolant unit/bottle, I think the problem might be a small leak and not the sensor. Having topped the water right to the top a couple of days ago (which I know I shouldn't do anymore), today the water level looked to be below the minimum level arrow marked on the outside of the bottle. It's kind of hard to see where the minimum and maximum level is when actually looking inside the bottle, but an hour ago I topped it up to where I think the maximum is. So I've filled it where it's just covering the plastic piece in the middle shaped like a X. I went back half an hour later and it looks like it's reduced very slightly below that cross. I've never had a problem with completely losing the water or the car overheating, so, what do I need to do now? I'm wondering where this leak could be or is it a pressure problem? These pics are just before I topped it up today.

Attachments

·
11,731 Posts
If there are no signs of leaks anywhere after you top up and start up (i.e. bleed valves, all pipe connections) then hope and pray its the expansion tank cap.

Then look for the obvious head gasket failure signs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there are no signs of leaks anywhere after you top up and start up (i.e. bleed valves, all pipe connections) then hope and pray its the expansion tank cap.

Then look for the obvious head gasket failure signs.
Do you mean the cap I screw on to the top might not be sealing properly?

What are the obvious signs of a failed head gasket and is that an expensive
fix? How about a crack in the radiator, could it be that?

·
11,731 Posts
Yep, they wear out over time and need replacing.

The usual sign of head gasket failure is water in the oil, making a mayonnaise type substance on the oil cap and dipstick. And your coolant in the expansion tank will be all oily.

If its hard to tell due to deposits and age of your tank, take off your expansion tank and clean it with a bit of hot soapy water and a bottle brush, rinsing thoroughly after.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
when you top up drive it. warm it up and then stop

(i dont recommend the advice below but its a simple test)

undo the water cap. (be careful of your face) it will be hot and shoot off if massive pressure. you dont need to take it off all the way just until you hear the pressure being let out

you should hear pressure when you undo the cap just before its ready to come off

if not then your cap is probably faulty. there cheap anyway can you not fit one to see?

if not take the undertray off jack up the car onto axle stands. run the engine and get a light under there to see.

if your losing quite a bit of water it should be noticable.

i only lost 250ml a day but the whole back of the engine was covered in fluid

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess I can rule the cap out then because there's definitely audible pressure when undoing it.

I'll check my dipstick later. I checked the oil fairly recently and it looked ok. If it looks normal colour today does that mean the head gasket is probably ok, ie, when you say mayonnaise type substance, does that mean the colour of the oil would be slightly whitish or just not the normal looking colour?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Gibbo, you just saved me hundreds of £, thank you! Not with the coolant but indirectly through this quote:

The usual sign of head gasket failure is water in the oil, making a mayonnaise type substance on the oil cap and dipstick.

I drove out this afternoon to see someone and drove back home again later, 6 miles each way. Checked my oil and the dipstick was devoid of it, not a drop! :eek: Let the car cool down for half an hour, went back, still nothing on the dipstick. Then looked at the road to see a blue and green oil slick as in the pics I took of it below. So now I had a water leak AND an oil leak. I was thinking now that you might be right about the head gasket, that maybe the water was getting in the engine and maybe that had forced an oil leak. I'd been driving on no oil but I don't know for how long. No oil warning light ever came on and the engine sounded fine. So no damage done it seems. I'm guessing it leaked oil maybe overnight. There must be some tolerance level that the engine can handle with no oil before damage is done? There's no funny noises, just the normal diesel sound.

Anyway, AA came, got underneath the car, said there's loads of oil covering the underside of the car and the oil sump screw was tight, so that wasn't where the leak was. I feared the worst.

HOWEVER... he said turn the engine on, and then he could see where oil was leaking out. It turned out to be the oil filter wasn't tight enough! My mobile mechanic has serviced my car for years with no issues. He did the service and changed the oil 2 weeks ago so he obviously didn't tighten the filter sufficiently. I'll give him a bit of a rollicking when I speak to him next. Although he had just gotten over bad flu so I guess that's why he wasn't up to his usual standard this time. Or maybe the filter is dodgy and loosened itself, so I'd better keep my eye on the oil level.

So AA man tightened it, told me to run the engine again and said the leak had stopped. We only had the engine running for a few seconds each time. He drove us to a BP garage and I bought a 4L bottle of Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 part synthetic for diesel engines. He filled the oil up which used 2 litres. So it doesn't seem like any damage has been done.

If you hadn't mentioned the oil, I wouldn't have checked it today to find it had completely emptied itself onto the road, and tomorrow there's little doubt I would have blown up the engine as I have to take my mum somewhere. I must have put the engine within an inch of it's life, thank god I checked the oil today. So thanks.:thumb:

Still haven't sorted the coolant problem but topped it up again while AA was here. He showed me where to fill it to which was quite a bit higher than that X. So far no warning message, but I'll have to take it to a mechanic if it goes down again, which it likely will. Judging by the colour of the oil on the road, the AA man was confident water hadn't gotten into the engine.

Attachments

·
11,731 Posts
You're welcome buddy. I had the same problem myself last weekend - drops of oil on my drive. It looked like it was coming from the aircon compressor or somewhere in that region. It turned out the sump plug wasn't even hand tight - I'd forgotten to check it after a recent oil change.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome buddy. I had the same problem myself last weekend - drops of oil on my drive. It looked like it was coming from the aircon compressor or somewhere in that region. It turned out the sump plug wasn't even hand tight - I'd forgotten to check it after a recent oil change.
Lucky you found out in time!

Someone on another forum who I told about my story yesterday said to me
"It is entirely possible that the crankshaft bearings or shells could be damaged from oil starvation. A guy on another forum had this and thought he too got away with it only to have the main bearings go 1500 miles later."

Do you think that's likely, should I be worried?

C

·
0 Posts
Your stuck there if the engine sounds fine then you may be ok but your 2 options really are strip it down and replace bearing shells etc which may be ok or wait and see if anything arises, tbh I would wait and see then investigate at the 1st sign of trouble. But a lot of people say the light has only just come on now when in truth it has been on for days my wife is a classic of this :eek:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts