Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 107 2006 with 69000 miles always serviced etc.

Tick over was low and kept stalling, then orange engine light came on yesterday.

Took it to my local garage who does all the family vehicles.

Thought it was a miss fire on 2 but no. Did a compression test and it's low on 2 and 3.

They advised to change engine for a re con one or trade in and cut my losses.

I'd like to know whats wrong before I spend or get rid. Is there any diy tests I can do?

Could it be a valve, head gasket, or piston ring?

There's no water in the oil or vice versa.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
3,298 Posts
HI sadly a second opinion may be worth while.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Low compression can be caused by many things head gasket on way out, valve seats warn piston rings and sometimes timing, I think your mechanic knows what the possible problems are but with engines readily available, cheap and take a couple of hours to fit this is the most economical solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low compression can be caused by many things head gasket on way out, valve seats warn piston rings and sometimes timing, I think your mechanic knows what the possible problems are but with engines readily available, cheap and take a couple of hours to fit this is the most economical solution.
I've priced up engines which is a gamble anyway., £150 to 400. They want £400 to fit + consumables and maybe a new clutch.

I've looked on you tube and it's way beyond my capabilities to take the old one out and fit a fresh one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
£400 is very steep to fit an engine in a 107 I’m sure others would back me up on that, sounds like he has allowed himself a day to remove and a day to refit charging you £200 a day when it’s more like a days work with the price of the engine your looking at it being more than the cars worth . Maybe a second opinion is needed like noddy said what’s your engine code by the way?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£400 is very steep to fit an engine in a 107 I’m sure others would back me up on that, sounds like he has allowed himself a day to remove and a day to refit charging you £200 a day when it’s more like a days work with the price of the engine your looking at it being more than the cars worth . Maybe a second opinion is needed like noddy said what’s your engine code by the way?
Don't know the code I'll ask on Monday when I pick the car up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The only reason I ask is they did two variants but as bare engines they are identical and were used in the 107, c1 and Aygo if you look on eBay they are selling these engines as cheap as £150 delivered, if they was to put a timing belt, new oil filter, air filter, plugs, clutch and fit it wouldn’t take you no where near £800. Just a bit of info for you when you go back and collect it ?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Pretty sure the Toyota 3 pot unit fitted to this uses a timing CHAIN.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yep chain engine and they are cheap as to be honest they dont break that often you can get a whole car with other issues for 400 :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well picked the car up today and was told it's the head gasket gone from cylinder 2 to 3.
Ordered a Haynes manual today going to do it myself with the help of my Son and Brother.
I'm not changing the chain as advised, unless it's knackered when I take a look.
I'm in no rush so it can sit in the garage until I get the manual and parts.

Thanks for all the advise and comments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck let us know how you get on
Well car up and running again.

I bought a Haynes manual ordered the parts and started stripping the engine. Never done something like this but I am very practical,

All cables and wires put to one side, rocker cover off, inlet manifold off, engine mount off and engine supported with blocks, timing chain cover off, sump off. timing chain off, cam shafts off, exhaust and manifold off, 8 bolts off and heh presto cylinder head comes off. Removed valve springs and valves and cleaned thoroughly, re fit with valve spring compressor bought off marketplace.
My head was damaged so purchased another from a breaker. Again cleaned the head thoroughly. Had to wait 2 weeks for parts because of lockdown!

I labelled everything in bags and boxes, and took photos.

Rebuilt head and all other bits, turned engine over without plugs in, ok. Put plugs in and it started first time, I nearly cried. I wouldn't be able to do it without the Manual. It's a massive job but worth it ,the car may run for another 2 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts