Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and hoping you can help I am quite an active member on 350z-UK so any answers would be greatly appreciated.

My partners 307 2.0 hdi 90 has been making a sort of loud rumbling noise while driving at speed, when I press the clutch and coast it does not alter any of the noise.

The noise has been getting quite bad lately and I have jacked the car up over a pit in work and can hear the noise but as everything is so metallic I can't point my finger to precisely where from. As I guess I would say the n/s (left) gearbox. Now before I buy a gearbox for the car should I check any other places? If anyone could share any experiences or ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks seb

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you lifted it and spun/hand wobbled each wheel?
Starting point for finding rumbles is generally wheel bearing checks.

Take it out of gear and coast for a short distance, if the noise is there that eliminates the gearbox.

Ade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply, I had checked all wheel bearings and all is good, my worry is it could be the diff built inside the gearbox?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine had this when i bought it - there were 2 things going on:

- flat spot on a rear tyre - needed replacement
- front wheel bearing - this made a huge din inside the car, but on jacking the car and spinning the wheel independently, i couldn't hear anything (the dealer spotted it and replaced the bearing for me)

For both of these problems the sound was far more pronounced when going round a corner in one or other direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the reply mate, well my old man was owed a few favours by a local scrappy's so I have a free gearbox im pretty confident its the diff, but i'll post my findings this weekend when I fit the box :)

P

·
0 Posts
Sounds like my 306. We changed loads trying to get to end of it. Ended up being wheel bearing, replaced and silence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh you've got me thinking now! The wheels have no play at all in them I have jacked the car up and spun it in gear over a pit and it really sounded like it was coming from the gearbox but with it being a loud diesel I couldn't put my money on it. Maybe I'll change the bearings first
All these comments are greatly appreciated guys l. Also if and when I do change the box does anybody know if I need to drop the subframe? Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does it have an intermediate bearing on the RH drive shaft? i had to replace one once on a 306 as it made the same sound as a wheel bearing, but because of its location the sound appeared to come from the left side.

I am not convinced its the gearbox, i had to change the box on my abused project car, the noise sounded like metal scraping together rather than a rumbling sound, pressing the clutch pedal made it go away.

Check your tyres for flat spots and swap front to rear to see if that helps.

Lastly drain the gear oil and check it, on my shagged gearbox there were excessive amounts of metal shards in it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a rumbling noise after getting a part welded on the centre of my exhaust to support it properly for mot. Just a thought but maybe it has something to do with your exhaust brackets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ahhh you've got me thinking now! The wheels have no play at all in them I have jacked the car up and spun it in gear over a pit and it really sounded like it was coming from the gearbox but with it being a loud diesel I couldn't put my money on it. Maybe I'll change the bearings first
All these comments are greatly appreciated guys l. Also if and when I do change the box does anybody know if I need to drop the subframe? Thanks again
Shouldn't really be significant 'play' in the wheel with a failed bearing - I would have thought this would only happen in an extreme case. Happy to be corrected on this though.

Aside from a grinding noise in the cabin, an alternate way to tell if a bearing has failed is if a one wheel hub is significantly hotter than the others after driving - this can be tricky to identify though as the brakes also make wheels hot, particularly on the front.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm maybe its best I put the car over my dads pit again and check this out. After about 30mph the car sounds like a spitfire ready to take off haha! ill drive it tommorow and feel for any heat also (TOP TIP THANKS!) as said its deffinetly got worse if I have no luck then ill get it on a pit by the weekend.

P

·
0 Posts
Does noise car when turning left or right? When bearing needed doing on my 306, noise would stop when turning left...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok The noise goes when turning right!!! But only really fast around a roundabout lol, drivers side hub also feels slightly hotter but not majorly that could still be a slightly sticky calliper. Any other ways of identifying which bearing then? Lol

P

·
0 Posts
*UPDATE** IT WAS A WHEEL BEARING!!! thanks for the help guys!
Glad to hear you got to bottom of it. I was jumping for joy after it had been repaired on my 306. The noise difference is incredible. We had never considered a wheel bearing when i was having trouble. In haynes book says they should last lifetime of car, but with such a good community of people on here, we are keeping these cars going long past peugeot expected them to last...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts