Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year all!

for the past few weeks Ive been getting a louder and louder road noise that sort of sounds like the wheels rubbing the arch.

I put my winter wheels on (tyres and new rims) and first noticed it then. Took it to a garage, had front bearings fitted but didnt fix it. After I had the geometry checked, no change. The wheels are all perfectly balanced, none of the other bearings make a noise, I also had the track rod ends changed as one was loose, again, no luck.

Today I changed back to my normal tyres, as the winter seems to be over before it started!, and the noise is still there.

I know for certain that I have a slightly warped disc on the front. This might explain why the car pulls slightly to 1 side, but Im not sure it explains the road noise....? (oh and on another note, does anyone think brake discs under 6 months old can be covered by warranty when dealer sold to me and they fitted...???)

Im starting to really worry this noise is to do with the gearbox... when cruising, I can put the clutch down and its still there, really is like someone is putting some heavy plastic onto the wheel.

Help... pleeease??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone suggest something?? Or any previous experience? Its NOT coming from the tyres, the noise hasnt changed since I changed them. Its not the wheels or balance, geo seems fine as well. Brake still rubbing on warped disc, but the sound isnt/cant be that - the rubbings bearly enough to heat the disc up anywho.

Im worried its gearbox side of things. I took a video and voice recording, will try and upload a link to here soon but not sure when. Its getting worse by the day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is the noise coming from 1 side of the car or both ? Does it only come when turning or driving in a straight line ?

I'd make sure the wheel arch liner hasnt dropped down onto the wheel or the driveshaft . Then i'd jack the car up and spin the wheels by hand to see if i could hear the noise. also a good idea to check the gearbox oil level.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike

thanks for your reply. the noise seems to come from the whole car, i cant pinpoint it to a side or front or rear etc. ive jacked the car up, spun all wheels and felt for any bad bearings, all seems fine, the front have just been changed but the noise started before that. The same of driving in a straight line OR turning, only really audible over 30mph though. im starting to feel vibrations through the car as well. all wheel linings correctly located and not touching anything moving. heat shields secure and fine too.

How do i check the gearbox level? I had a new dmf last year and there was some oil from the gearbox, but i think just residue from the repair. mines the 6 speed 136 hdi.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After speaking to some of the guys i work with (2 ex peugeot / citroen mechanics and 1 vauxhall service controller) they seem to think it might be the diff bearings. Im going to bite the bullet and book it in with Peugeot main stealer to diagnose... but as far as i know, a diff bearing is gonna be big bucks. This feels like the last straw for me. Grr.

·
5,017 Posts
there is oil in the gearbox isnt there ???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly hope so! It was filled and checked within the last few months and ive never had any fluids leaking. where do i check the level on this model?

·
5,017 Posts
what year and engine is it ??

·
5,017 Posts
there all pretty similar so this should give you an idea

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brill, thanks for your help!

Thats a hell of a job to get at so may have to leave it til a weekend... or just get a garage to do it/check. Ta v much though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts