Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When switching on AC when in Neutral or Park a high rattling/knocking sound appears from around the ac compressor area. It disappears when switching to Drive or Reverse with foot on brake. It only occurs when turning on AC and sound disappears when turning off AC. I am aware that other pulleys are affected when ac compressor engages due to extra strain on the accessory belt. However, I am pretty sure the sound is coming from the clutch meachanism in the compressor.

Is it possible to replace the clucth/pulley in situ without disconnecting and emptying the ac system?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, it is possible to replace the clutch / pulley without disconnecting the AC system. However finding a replacement clutch might be the difficult part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to disconnect the pump entirely as it seems difficult to get a new clutch (cheapest I found was 600+ Euros). I have the tools for depressurizing the system. However If the pump is replaced will I have a problem with the dryer? Will it become saturated that quickly? As I understand the dryer is part of the whole condenser unit and not separate as on the 406.

·
6,586 Posts
Why not get a complete secondhand compressor from ebay and just swap the clutch

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yep, grab a second hand one or atleast try and get the manufacturer + manufacturer part number (NOT Peugeot part number) off it. These units are usually the same across manufacturers and should have a clutch somewhere for it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the clutch from the compressor. It appears OK no looseness. The bearing inside the pulley is also OK and turns smoothly. Now I am not so sure about the compressor anymore. I still get the rattle only when AC is on and transmission in either Neutral or Park. I took of the serpentine belt and the noise is gone.

What other problems are common to the ES9A? Does it have a rubberized crankpulley or is it solid? All the pulleys seem fine and rotate smoothly servo, alternator etc. The springloaded tensioner seems to be the only component left. When I release tension I can move the tensioner a little bit up and down ithere is movement in the rubber parts of the spring where through the bolts mount. Is this normal? Also when engine runs i see a little bit of side to side vibration/movement from the tensioner pulley. Is this normal? I tried to listen with a stetoscope and there is a lot of noise comming from the sping part of the tensioner but it does not exactly follow the pitch of the rattle sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts