Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video: 207 VTI loud noise when cold, possible chain tensioner / timing problem?

Hello, I'm new on this forum and joined because I'm concerned about chain tensioner (death rattle) in my car which i recently bought. I read numerous posts about damaging the engine when chain snaps...

The car is year 2007 Peugeot 207 Sport 1.6 16V VTI with 95000km (around 59000 miles). Oil and oil filter changed 3 months (2000 miles) ago. Oil is now up to max level.

Lambda sonda and electric valve (not sure if this is correct term) changed 4 months ago by previus owner.

The car doesn't display any error codes or warnings. Sometimes at start the revs go up and down like its going to stop, but it doesn't.

I recorded a video: youtube.com/watch?v=CKSUzlAeAZo

Could this be engine rattling and chain/tensioner problem?

Thanks

boro

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well Pleased

Same problem with my year 2007 Mileage reads:- 58,000
Had my timing chain and tensioner replaced last month at a cost of £306 at an independent Peugeot garage.
The timing chain kit alone costs £129.00.. Took about 2 hours to do.
Still rattles a bit from cold but ceases after 30 seconds

Main dealer quoted £800 plus. they must be joking!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
may be worth getting a mechanics stethoscope to find where the rattles comming from.
seems there are quite a few swapping chain/tensioner at your milage, including myself, but it did take me more like 6 hours but was a hour here and there and popping down the shops to get replacements sockets and tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts