Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
solved: lost remote key peugeot 206 HDI 2001

I'm currently wading through the nightmare of having lost my remote key for the car. Peugeot have told me no-can-do a new remote key, only a static one that works in the door lock. I'm also discovering auto locksmiths are a right tribe to deal with quotes around $140 for another remote key.
I've seen some second hand peugeot keys on ebay and wondered if anyone could help me close in on the right one that could be re-programmed to work with my car. Someone told me there are four different types for my car and peugot said they couldn't guarantee they could reprogram it and it would cost me $45 even they failed.
In the meantime I do have a spare non-remote key and I'm getting by with that but feel insecure until I get another working remote key. I do have a spare cut blade - it opens the door and turns the engine but the engine won't start with it. If I bought a remote key fob off ebay what are the chances it would at least start the car?
thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm currently wading through the nightmare of having lost my remote key for the car. Peugeot have told me no-can-do a new remote key, only a static one that works in the door lock. I'm also discovering auto locksmiths are a right tribe to deal with quotes around $140 for another remote key.
I've seen some second hand peugeot keys on ebay and wondered if anyone could help me close in on the right one that could be re-programmed to work with my car. Someone told me there are four different types for my car and peugot said they couldn't guarantee they could reprogram it and it would cost me $45 even they failed.
In the meantime I do have a spare non-remote key and I'm getting by with that but feel insecure until I get another working remote key. I do have a spare cut blade - it opens the door and turns the engine but the engine won't start with it. If I bought a remote key fob off ebay what are the chances it would at least start the car?
thanks for any advice.
Remote != immobiliser , which is what is preventing your car from starting. For the car to fire up you need a new, as far as I understand it, 'virgin' immobiliser chip, to be placed in the key shell and mated to the car using PP2000. For that process you also need the car's 4-digit (alphanumeric) security code, which would originally have come on a plastic, credit card style, card.

Not sure if a used remote board (of the proper type for the car) can be mated to the car's remote locking or not. If it can, you'll still need a virgin immo chip per above for the car to start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your feedback. I don't think it would be possible to get a virgin immo chip, they're no longer supplied by peugeot, if a used key can't be reprogrammed it looks like I'm sunk.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
thanks for your feedback. I don't think it would be possible to get a virgin immo chip, they're no longer supplied by peugeot, if a used key can't be reprogrammed it looks like I'm sunk.
A key cannot be repurposed to another car - never buy a used Peugeot key on EBay - it's useless.

I have bought a new remote key for my 206, bought the 4 digit code online, and programmed it myself with Peugeot Planet. The thing about the 206 is that there are four flavours of key, depending on age of the car and whether it has front fogs. I got mine here. They can ensure you get the right key by quoting your VIN. You could fit your spare blade into it, which would save a few quid.

If you want a spare key, but not necessarily a remote, it would still have to be programmed to the car with Planet, but it would cost less.

There is a lot of information in this thread.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
As above the key MUST be new a used one is no good it can be reset to start the car by fitting a virgin chip but not to lock it

You dont buy the chip from peugeot !!

They are telling you a fresh key is not available most likely not a fresh chip.

Just to clarify 1 point mentioned earlier locking = immobiliser is NOT the case the key for a 206 and all older peugeots has 2 distinct parts the chip for the immobiliser and the remote for LOCKING only they are separate parts in the 1 key

Your other option failing getting a key is to swap the whole ecu set with a matching key from a doner car but you must remember miles will change to whatever is highest yours or doner.

Peugeot is NOT the best option for this :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just to clarify 1 point mentioned earlier locking = immobiliser is NOT the case the key for a 206 and all older peugeots has 2 distinct parts the chip for the immobiliser and the remote for LOCKING only they are separate parts in the 1 key
Which is why I wrote "Remote != immobiliser"
!= means 'not equal'.
Last sentence in my post should also make it clear that the remote and immobiliser are separate entities.

But clatifications are always good!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Just to add: People have been disappointed with new remote keys for 206s bought on EBay - although they are new, they are not necessarily the correct flavour for the car (see post above), so the programming has been unsuccesful.

Only buy from a reputable supplier who can match the required key to your VIN. Don't waste time asking EBay sellers - they haven't got a clue. They'll just reply (if they do reply) with something like "yes, this work with 206".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thankyou for all the responses here. I have another question which is about my current non-remote key - it's just a solid key with no buttons on it. Does this key contain a battery? I bought this non-remote key a few years ago from my peugeot dealer but today it's really iffy at starting the car. It's like rolling a dice when starting the car and I don't remember it being this bad when I first got it. If I keep trying and faffing about with it the the car eventually starts. I can't think of a reason why this key should be so bad except if an internal battery was getting low. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
No battery. All it contains is a transponder chip, which is powered by the RF from the transmitter/receiver, the antenna for which is around the key switch barrel.

I suspect the fault is either in the transmitter/receiver, or the antenna (Items 02 or 01)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks, I'm convinced its the key because with my previous remote key the car always started first time without fail.
I have another question for any clever key guys here:
I have a used peugeot 206 key that I got for a fiver off ebay, naturally it doesn't work but the led flashes when button pressed. I have the numbers and stuff from the internal circuit board. Is there any way a novice like me could verify if this key was compatible with my car (if reprogrammed)? I know there's only a one in four chance of this but I have all the numbers. Thanks for any further advice.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is impossible to repurpose a Peugeot remote key to another Peugeot. Buying a used key on EBay (or whatever) is throwing money away.

Why? Because the module has a write-once memory area which is written to when the key is first programmed, locking it to that car. It cannot be overwritten. If you read about a key being reprogrammed, what is actually meant is that the car is being "reminded" about the key, because the BSI has lost its key list. The BSI will accept the key, because the write-once area has content which satisfies the algorithm based on the car's VIN. The only way it can have that content is if it was originally programmed to that car.

Only a virgin remote key can be programmed to a car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it sorted out in the end. I bought a used key off ebay for a fiver and contrary to claims in this thread I found a guy who could reprogram it for me and only charged 35 quid I'm no back in the land of the living. Used keys can be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got it sorted out in the end. I bought a used key off ebay for a fiver and contrary to claims in this thread I found a guy who could reprogram it for me and only charged 35 quid I'm no back in the land of the living. Used keys can be reprogrammed.
Interesting... Do you know if it was a software only thing, or did it include any replacement of chip on the board (desoldering an existing, and soldering in a new (virgin/unwritten), chip?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
There is thread somewhere on this board from several years back. In it, it is stated that someone had developed soft tools to overcome the write-once limitation (I can't imagine how that could be done - in any event, it allegedly employed special hardware to implement low level writing to the chip and did not employ Planet).

The thread goes on to state that the developer wanted to turn this information into money, but no-one wanted to pay, and he ceased posting to the board on which the discussion took place (not this board).

If that is all true, I suppose there may be a select group of people who have paid to be allowed to know how to do it, and have invested in the hardware needed, but it's hard to credit.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Can you clarify this please are you saying you have a USED key that now LOCKS and unlocks remotely

OR you have a used key that STARTS the car

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry for my lack of clarity. I have a used key (I got off ebay) that remotely locks and unlocks the car and also starts the engine.

update: what an ironic turn of events. After posting only a few hours ago (above) I had an email from the police to say they had my (original lost) keys. Some kind person had handed them in. So I picked them up and now my original lost key no longer works. It won't lock/unlock the doors by remote button and it won't start the car. The replacement key I had (bought off ebay) done still works fine so the auto-locksmith must have done something to the car (as well as the key).
So now I've got to have him back again to sort out my original key, which I want to use again and also keep a spare. What a polava.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
That is correct once you write a new key the old ones dont work you could get him to come and code all your keys back in though so you will have plenty !!

Its strange that he could code a used key though as it has been tried over the years and it never works i have tried it too myself are you sure he never just fitted a virgin board and chip to your used key ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts