Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have probably owned near on a 100 cars in my life and I have to say the 307 is probably the worst of all of them. I am sorry and I apologise in advance that I am coming onto a owners forum and slating the car off.

I bought it because it was cheap, but low mileage with a full service history and I know how to fix cars at any level. I bought it with the airbag light on as I thought it would be a quick fix.. most sensible people would have scrapped the car with this problem even the long standing Peugeot independent garage did not have a clue and told me it was the airbag ECU "cus PP2000 told him so". A posting on this forum could not fix it or give me a clue - thanks to those that did respond. Eventually after many hours of diagnosis it was fixed and I posted the fix for the future and current owners - it had nothing to do with the airbags.

So a bit like John Cleese to solve another fault I gave the car a hiding and drove it down the A303 at 4500RPM in a "lower gear" to clear the DPF as this was also causing me issues..as "DPF overloaded" fixed that.. OK so you have had your hiding now - I thought be good or your off to the scrap yard!

Today driving along the instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree every fault light comes on and no instruments.. at least it got me home and still started. Diagnostics show a multiplex fault on the instrument cluster.

This car is over complicated poorly designed and likely to end up in the scrap yard in the coming week. I have owned virtually every brand including Fiat and Alfa Romeo in recent years all could be tamed. I broke my own cardinal rule for buying French, it has 10 months MOT left so when it breaks down on the side of the road it will be whipped with a stick, wheel brace or whatever I can find and towed to the scrap yard. I would not sell it on as my reputation is too important.

Sorry for those of you who own this car for telling you your baby is ugly. Those who are considering buying don't.

I will keep contributing to the forum when I find problems as this is the only thing positive that I can do or say moving forward. This is not a rant from your every day owner who does not know what he is talking about but someone who has worked with car software and electronics for the last 15 years.

I hope that moving forward the car behaves itself and I can report back positively.. however I don't think this will be the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response, starts on the button - battery is brand new from previous owner. Fault is intermittent and happens whilst driving, I suspect like the airbag it will come down to a bad connection on the instrument VAN network.

Again thanks for your reply..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry that you have had a bad experience but you can only judge as you find.
I have a 307 and find it to be comfortable, spacious, reliable and economical. OK it will never set the world alight but as a workhorse it is a good car.

Hope I haven't jinked it now !!!

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
My 307 always starts and handles well BUT it rattles heater cuts out and it has a lack of oomph at times especially in 6th and uses twice as much fuel as my clio and is not as good a people carrier as my espace which ALWAYS starts handles well and does not rattle while using about the same amount of fuel as the 307 and never looses oomph

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am happy enough with mine. Over here in France used cars are very expensive and for 2000 euros I could either buy a late nineties Clio, 206, Fiesta etc or a 2005 307 estate all with about 300,000Km on the clock. For some reason the 307 hatch is about 1500 euros more expensive. For me it was a no-brainer and so far I am happy with my choice even though I found out (after I brought it) that my car was a taxi for the first 2 years of it's life.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Used cars hold their value in france as french people are not consumers in the same way as the uk and will keep cars for 20 years without caring about what others have or what they think of the car they drive !!

If the car is reliable thats all that matters and they will happily spend 2000 euros replacing parts on a 15 year old car where here it would get scrapped !!

·
Registered
294 Posts
That is very true. It also helps that they do not appear to rust as much over here unless you are in a mountain area.
Most of the cars in breakers yard have either been crashed of have had a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Can't say I've a vast experience of 307's but the two I've had were both very good cars. The first was a 56 plate 1.6hdi 90 and was great until someone drove out of a side street into the passenger side. The car still got me the 60 miles home even though the damage had pushed the passenger side suspension back causing the tyre to rub against the bulkhead. The second was still running like a dream when I traded it in. That was an 04 plate 2.0 hdi 90

·
5,836 Posts
I ran my 307 for 270k miles with no issues other than parts wearing out

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Mines has 160k miles and is fine BUT its not as good as previous peugeots thats why i said its not a good peugeot not that its not a good car :)
For someone who has not experienced peugeot at their best ie 205 405 505 era cars the 307 is good but the older cars were so much better cars

I had many 505s and 405s with 500k miles still driving as good as they were at 100k miles i cant see many 307s lasting to 500k miles

Ok they dont rot like older cars did but they are just not built as well either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
OK i must admit this is my first Peugeot. The car it replaced was a 1991 Citroen AX 1.1 Petrol that did 243,000KM before I traded it in as the gearbox started having problems selecting 1st. I had never even considered French cars before as my perception was that they were poorly built. I now run 2 of them and am very happy with them.

·
11,766 Posts
I've had four 307s out of 35 cars owned or driven (including company vehicles) over 26 years. The reason is because I kept going back to them because I found them reliable.

I didn't think much of the facelifted model (too basic), and deliberately avoided ones with DPF, going for the solid 2L 90bhp.

In all the years of ownership of them all, I've only had to replace brakes, tyres, clutch when they've reached end of life, and a small metal HP fuel pipe because it was weeping very slightly.

What doesn't help the 307 is that its more often a "mum's taxi" and gets neglected. Out of the hundreds of diagnostics I've done, the 307 owned by women has always been the scruffiest and most neglected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts