Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 508 2.0 Diesel Allure

Today the engine cut out twice for no obvious reason

Cut out twice within a minute of starting the car & reversing off driveway

The cut out whilst idling in traffic a few minutes later

No engine management lights appear / no fault codes appear

Car starts right away after it cuts out

Then it drives just fine for the 20 minute commute to & from work

When it cut out 1st i did re-start and rev it more than normal it then cut out again about 200 yrds down the road i started it up again & all was fine for the rest of the day ....could i have flooded it ? or have others come across similar problems

Update : started it this morning & within 20 seconds it cut out whilst ticking over ....slight increase in the revs ...then it cut out....no engine warning lights / no fault codes displayed anywhere

Many Thanks

· Registered
503 Posts
take it to mechanic before it breaks even more or seriously

· Registered
1,144 Posts
That says you are losing power to the running of the engine, but not a total power loss as the background lighting is still on.

Unfortunately, the only way to get to the bottom of this is to immediately check while the car is shut down, so no juggling of the key etc. Just test things where the car grinds to a halt. Otherwise you will disturb the fault which seems to self correct.

First thing to check is the ignition switch, test that it has power in and power out. A pre-test of the switch to figure out where power is coming in with ign off and then a test of where power goes after the car is started will let you know what livens up with ign on.. you could rig up a test light on the main power out of the ign or use a multimeter when it fails..

If the ignition switch is still functioning properly, check the fuse box in the engine bay. test the main supply in and test the fuses for power. Look for corrosion/water.

It is possible that the problem is a bad positive/ground connection from the battery which allows just enough current through to keep the background lighting on but not enough to keep the engine system supplied, so check/remove/clean/grease ALL positive and ground connections from the battery->body->engine and check that there is no damage to the cables or terminals. This you can do now, it may solve your problem. Also, you can do the same for all the small ground connections that you find in and around the fuse box/engine bay that are on the main wiring loom as those could be faulty/dirty/broken.

Have fun.....;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.