Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've only had my 407 Coupé for a few weeks. It's always had a strange clonk that sometimes happens when coming on and off the gas. I've been waiting to get it up to a mate with a ramp's place but the situation has taken a drastic turn for the worse.

Yesterday when I braked the steering wheel shot an eighth of a turn to the right and the front of the car felt like it was on ice. Very scary. I limped it home and it does a similar thing all the time now, although he clonk has gone.

It seems both front wheels are moving in unison and there doesn't appear to be any play when jacking up the car and grabbing the wheels. My thoughts are that either the steering rack is loose in the subframe, or the subframe itself is loose. The latter is my best guess, looking at how the steering rack is mounted.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I'm hoping get the car on a ramp tomorrow afternoon to investigate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are absolutely spot on, sir! I just took the near side wheel off and the balljoint, which looks recent, has only got one bolt left in it. Thank you - very much appreciated indeed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The centre bolt had sheared in the joint and I was unable to drill it out in situ, so I put a new joint with new bolts on it. I used threadlock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The loss of these bolts happened to me some time ago with my 2ltr SW.
I had an inkling as to what was wrong because I could feel and hear a "clunk" when going from drive to overrun and back again.
I guessed that the offside front bottom end was loose somewhere and found, on the swivel joint, one bolt absent and the other two loose. I strongly dissaproved of this since I was towing a caravan at the time. I remembered something rattling under the car but had not seen anything on the road. The rattle was clearly the missing bolt.
I was at Oban at the time and found that the nearest Peugeot dealer was probably in Glasgow or Inverness. The bolts are a "dealer only" part. I `phoned the "lad" who then lived in Leeds.
He posted replacement bolts at 5 PM and, much to my amazement, I picked them up at the caravan site office at 9.30 the next morning.
I have read of one or two cases of complete collapse of the front suspension if these bolts are lost so I have the unused bolts from that new set in the boot as a precaution.
Beware the sound and feel of the "clunk". It is quite distinctive.

Reiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts