Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase either the 1.6 or 2.0 hdi diesel models.
I'm a taxi driver and looking to source a nice low mileage model and looking for a few pointers.
Best engine to go for
Drive and comfort
Issues to look for when buying
Known issues and faults
Thanks in anticipation of responses dave

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hio Scotty,

welcome to the forum:thumb:

This earlier post on here will give you some idea. It's about an Auto but the rest is relevant.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/508-76/secondhand-508-few-observations-263610/

As for the manual bare in mind these cars have a dual mass flywheel and can disintegrate at around 100k. These are a lot of money to replace.
I have a couple of 2l 508s in my fleet which I would recommend for what you need it for. I find them very reliable and comfortable for passengers. Larger than the 407 & much better in every way.
You need to keep the oil changed regularly with the correct oil & quality filter. I do it every 10k then service every 20k as per manufacturers spec.
Some early base models don't have the built in Bluetooth so watch for that.
Timing belt needs to be changed at 120k. They have a chain so not imperative but that's what I do.
Be aware the Peugeot has a Particulate filter in the exhaust system and will need a regen. if you do loads of short trips this may be a slight problem. You'll need to take it for a run down a strait road for 20 minutes once in a while.
Pretty good on tires. I buy good brands and I get good miles out of them.
Brake ware is OK. The rears seem to ware out quicker than I would expect.

I've had seven 508s since they came out and overall I've been satisfied with them. I've had 2 Gts, by far a superior 508. Just brilliant to drive. I did have some Passat's for a while. Bloody nightmare they turned out to be!

Grumpy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi grumpy thanks for the informative response and I take that on-board unfortunately the thread has a invalid link but I take your points on-board thanks

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I prefer the 2 litre as there is not a great difference fuel wise but the 2 litre pulls better having said that if the 1.6 is serviced MORE than it should be then it can be a very reliable engine i have seen 1.6s with 250k miles on original turbo !

Flywheels do fail before clutches so 80-120k miles is an expensive time as it will need a clutch/flywheel and a timing belt as already said makes no difference whether 1.6 or 2 litre in this respect.

EGR valves cause more problems on 2 litre as heads fall off them but they are a bit easier to do on 2 litre than 1.6.

Properly serviced either engine will do big miles and be reliable

·
Registered
20 Posts
General consensus is to avoid the automated manual gearbox; the slushbox is OK.

Smooth, comfortable, roomy, quiet; bar the power, it gives nothing away (except the badge) to an older E-class (W212) as a motorway cruiser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting that GrumpyOldGit (that's two of us, then...) rates the GT. I'm just about to take my 140 bhp Allure to Pendle Performance; same torque, 5 bhp more than the 2.0 HDi GT, all for £299 +VAT. I'm quite looking forward to it.

TN

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use a 2 litre 163 auto estate as a taxi. I do like it. It has been reliable so far. All servicing and wear and tear parts are reasonably priced. I get 39 mpg, which for many is not great but is actually 4mpg better than my last car. The boot area is a bit small for my liking - getting an estate car job can be a bit 'interesting' at times.

I did road test a GT before I bought the 2 litre. The GT was great to drive, and really not much more to buy. I was put off by the stiffer suspension - where I live the road are not at all smooth and the GT would feel the bumps more - I need to be comfy in the car.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a 2 litre 163 auto estate as a taxi. I do like it. It has been reliable so far. All servicing and wear and tear parts are reasonably priced. I get 39 mpg, which for many is not great but is actually 4mpg better than my last car. The boot area is a bit small for my liking - getting an estate car job can be a bit 'interesting' at times.

I did road test a GT before I bought the 2 litre. The GT was great to drive, and really not much more to buy. I was put off by the stiffer suspension - where I live the road are not at all smooth and the GT would feel the bumps more - I need to be comfy in the car.

Good hunting.
Cheers probably go 4 the 2.0 litre manual. Thanks for responding

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update just purchased a 2012 2.o 163bhp model with partial leather and 28 inch alloys with 60000 on the clocks looking to pick up Wednesday with a 2 yr warranty.
Drive and spec is what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Which trim if you don't mind me asking?

Really looking forward to taking mine on the UK -> France ->Belgium -> Holland -> Germany -> Austria -> Slovakia -> Czechia -> Germany -> Holland -> Belgium -> France -> UK trip I start on Sunday

Have done the authoban in the Saab 93..nice and quick.. Volvo Xc70... swirl flaps shut on me at 100mph...not nice!

Be interesting to see how the Pug fares!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think it's the allure model half leather seats / push button start/ heated seats etc and increased bhp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of miles of that trip most I've done was a 700 mile round trip I'm my 2008 citreon c5 a nice comfy ride # post your updates

·
Registered
126 Posts
ooh nice. :thumb:. that's what I've got but stock 163 bhp.

I really like the 508... Will post updates of how the car deals with the trip :D

The Sister in Laws C5 2010 plate is also coming along for the trip!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 508 / c5 share a lot of similar running parts so I assume the ride should be similar. The 508 I've purchased has a lot lower mileage than my c5 and feels tighter as more responsive as my c5 is 140bhp . Good luck with your trip and look forward to updates and pics if possible cheers Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Will do Dave!

I drove the C5 from London to Leeds and back and the ride was exceptional... The self levelling suspension made you glide along... I did notice that a lot of the parts were shared with the Pug but then again I noticed that quite a few of the Saab parts were shared with the Vauxhall Vectra :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts