Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I’m really not tech-minded at all so I’m hoping for some idiot-proof advice...

I want to put my own Sony CD player in my mark 1 308. When I’ve installed it in previous cars the harness would just clip together, I’d plug in the ariel and that would be it.

When I took the standard CD player out I could see I’d need an adapter so I went to Halfords and they showed me I’d actually need 2 and they’d come to about £25 altogether which is fair enough.

However the Halfords guy said one of the connectors would have an extra and longer red cable that needs to be connected to the ignition otherwise whenever I turn the engine off I’d lose preset radio stations, Bluetooth settings etc

That’s all understandable I guess but how do I know what to connect that wire to? He did suggest the cigarette lighter which sounds like a good idea but how can I get the wire from the back of the radio that down and under the centre console to it?

Cheers

·
Registered
765 Posts
If the loom is similar to my 407 loom... which it should be, the red wire is for a positive SWITCHED wire, not permanent.

Now as to where you should connect that wire, it depends on the headunit. Some headunits don't need a switched wire at all, so you can just leave it.

Some use it to switch on/off the headunit with your ignition. Some really shit headunits will use the switched power for the whole electrical demand, so you would need to test this depending on where you tap it.

It should be easy enough to get the wire to the cigarette lighter though, if it's a low current load, use a scotchlok (yes, I know some people despise these!)

I used mine to install an in-line amplifier so I can't comment on what you need.

·
11,711 Posts
Take the parts back to Halfords and get a refund.

Then go to Caraudiodirect or Ebay and get the CONNECTS2 range of cables.

I've had the Sony BT range of MP3 radios in numerous 307s and 308s and never needed to mess with additional wiring.

The Sony radio wiring loom has bullet connectors to make the right combination of power. The installation PDF with the radio and available online tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take the parts back to Halfords and get a refund.

Then go to Caraudiodirect or Ebay and get the CONNECTS2 range of cables.

I've had the Sony BT range of MP3 radios in numerous 307s and 308s and never needed to mess with additional wiring.

The Sony radio wiring loom has bullet connectors to make the right combination of power. The installation PDF with the radio and available online tell you all you need to know.
Exactly this
Halfords / Autoleads are pretty much useless
Connects2 leads are much much better

·
11,711 Posts
In Ebay type "Peugeot 308 connects2 <make of your stereo>"

Prices vary depending if:

A) Your stereo has a remote feature (most Sonys do)
B) You want to control the stereo from the steering wheel control.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out the Connect2 harness has exactly the same issue, it comes with an ignition cable just like the Autoleads version.

Had it all fitted and set now anyway, thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts