Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 407 sw and i am trying to get the locking wheel nut off one of the wheels(passenger side rear) I have taken all of the other bolts off and I am left with the locking nut.

I can't get it off as some muppet at the garage has done it up with an air gun. I have been trying so hard and the outcome of this it that i have found out that the metal on the adapter is stronger that the metal on the locking bolt, so now when i try to twist off the bolt it slips as there is no longer any grip on the locking nut.

I have tried hammering on an undersized bolt and taking it off that way but it has just taken the top of the bolt off.

Any other ideas on how to get this bolt off??

many thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i had the exact same problem with my car i had to use a centre punch and hammer to get it off!!!!!!! completely ruined the locking nut but it wouldnt come off any other way it took me about 2 hr to get it off so good luck with that:)

G

·
Hi

You may be lucky if you can weld a nut (fill the hole in the middle with weld onto the locknut center) on top of the wheel lock, then use a socket to remove.

David

G

·
Take it back to the garage and unleash a foul mouthed string of abuse!

I wouldnt waste my effort fixing up what some halfwit got wrong!

Maybe thats just me though! :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
locking nuts

I know its easy to say in hind sight BUT it is obvious now that we are aware that you remove these nuts before any service or tyre / wheel job
Cos the guy working on your car probably doesnt give a toss abou it - its probably just a mundane job to him

remember
"NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR CAR LIKE YOU"
not even the wife or family

regards

·
Registered
2015 308 sw 2litre bluehdmi
36 Posts
407 Wheelnut

Just an update on my damaged wheel nut firstly as it was impossible to remove with the key had a socket with a left hand scroll but although it gripped the nut what I did not know was a groove had been machined into the nut which clearly was designed to shear off when I tried to undo the nut. After that I resorted to my drill but found that the nut was so hard even a cobalt drill failed so the last chance was an air chisel which after some twenty minutes did work. My advice is find replacement security wheel nuts from an accessory store and replace them with a better designed one..

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
i had this, i got the dealer to replace mine under the warranty.
tip, dont do them up tight when you put them back on.
and ive asked my mechanic not to use a windy gun on them.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
i completely removed my peugeot locking nuts...people dont steal them anymore...not even in felling or darlington! :lol:

my ford locking nuts have a different design but still i only go hand tight on them but torqued the rest up to standard so the wheel is still strong.

·
8,947 Posts
I had the same problem with my locking nuts after a muppet did them up to tight at a fast fit centre (eg do them up with the rattle gun set at 150 ft/lb which was used to undo them)

I managed to get mine off even though the pins were shot using a manual impact screwdriver head fitted with a socket.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
peugeot locking bolts are useless anyway i bought a 406 at auction no key with it went into my box had 5 different peugeot keys 3 of them fitted the bolts on the car !!

A thief with a half dozen keys could get them off anyway :)

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Haha and now you need your v5c to prove the car is yours etc. my sister just recently bought a car and it had locking nuts but no key....took it back and the garage paid to get them removed and new after markets put on....pennies mind but it out of their wallets

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
343 Posts
I also notice on earlier Peugeot models that the locking wheel nuts cannot be covered by the trim caps... therefore you can end up with 3 with trims and one without.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Okay. I'm just reading this post and others. My locking wheel bolt is stuck on. Tyre place last year must have done them up with air gun as all bolts were very jammed on! I want to change wheel and see if I can track down which front wheel is unbalanced/ vibrating.

I have the locking wheel bolt that has the four half moon grooves and the shearing section. Tried hole punch and slightly small socket today, no joy.

Will the Halfords reverse thread locking wheel bolt remover work? Internal diameter of my locking key is 22mm. But I don't wanna buy the halfords part if it doesn't work on these type of bolts. I have squirted a bit of WD40 behind bolt shroud. See if that can penetrate a bit over night.

The four half moon holes on bolt and now U/S. I'm going to scrappy next Friday afternoon for four normal bolts to replace the lockers. Looks like solid bolt, but security part is made of Brie!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Tyre place last year must have done them up with air gun
Last year!, shame on you. How do you clean and put any protection on them,?, my wheels are off at least once a month :p
Whenever it goes in for service or tyres I ask them not to use an air gun on them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Haha! I know, I know! I'm slacking! No excuse!

I walked round the block while they did tyres. So didn't see air gun come out. I used the place several times before and never had issues. Maybe it depends on who was working that day?

Thought I'd leave rebalance of tyres until lower ball joints replaced. Which are now done. My new job means travelling 50mile a day. Last job was 10. So now it's time to balance those tyres. I want to swap out with the spare wheel first and see which or if both wheels are out of balance.

So any ideas if the halfords tool will work on these wheel bolts? I'm going to my usual garage tomorrow morning and see if they know how, or a quote of how much. But..... I'd rather do it myself.

·
Registered
2015 308 sw 2litre bluehdmi
36 Posts
Security Wheel Bolts

In reply to your problem I tried to get mine off with a reverse scroll socket but the design of the bolt meant that it sheared leaving the majority of the bolt still in situ. I had a guy use a pneumatic chisel which after some 20 mins he managed to remove the bolt. This was the only way we could see to remove it.
If you manage to get it off successfully, I would throw them in the bin and fit normal bolts as I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.