Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my 307 1.4 16V petrol 2005 where the car is cutting out when cold and also the Oil Pressure Insufficient warning coming on once the engine is warm.

I have changed the oil pressure switch and also the map sensor and both lambda sensors because I also had an issue with the anti pollution fault (which is no longer coming up)

I have done a live data test using a Foxwell NT301 scanner and was wondering if someone could read the test results and see if they shed any light on what could be causing the remaining issues, this is a readout of the test -

Live Data
Numbers of DTCs 0
Fuel system 1 statusCL
Calculated Load Value(%)2.0
Engine Coolant Temperature(øC)165
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 1(%)4.7
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1(%)13.3
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure(kPa)4.2
Engine RPM(rpm) 739
Vehicle Speed Sensor(km/h)0
Ignition Timing Advanece for #1 Cylinder(ø)13.0
Intake Air Temperature(øC)68
Absolute Throttle Position(%)9.8
Location of Oxygen SensorsB1S12--B2S----
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 1(V)0.075
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 2(V)0.670
OBD requirements to which vehicle is designedEOBD
Distance Travelled While MIL is Activated(Km)0

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one sticks out, engine would be melting at this temp. Faulty ECU temp sensor?
Hi Will,

Yes I see what you mean about the temperature, the reading on the temperature gauge inside the car was reading at around 90 degrees C and the fan was kicking in and out as I was carrying out the live test.

Many thanks for commenting.

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that temp reading were correct then the oil warning would be correct because the oil has thinned! Have you checked the thermostat is not sticking/stuck?
Hi Madbadandold,

many thanks for commenting, I can't understand how that temperature can be correct, I have a feeling that the 165 degrees should read in Fahrenheit and not Centigrade, which would explain why the temperature gauge inside the car was reading at around 80-90 degrees and the fan was switching on and off whilst sitting at idle.

I haven't checked the thermostat as yet, but I will look up it's location and check that it is working as it should.

Ian

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well 165 oF is approx. 75oC but why would it display both modes off the same sensor and the readout says 165oC?
is there sufficient oil in the engine and what grade are you using and how old is the oil?
Coolant outlet pipe or cooling outlet housing depending on eng no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well 165 oF is approx. 75oC but why would it display both modes off the same sensor and the readout says 165oC?
is there sufficient oil in the engine and what grade are you using and how old is the oil?
I have just gone through the settings on the diagnostic tool and I had the setting changed from the factory default which is "Metric" so it would still display the temperature as if you were reading it in Fahrenheit instead of Centigrade, then you would have to do a conversion from that figure.

The oil and filter were changed around 3 weeks ago, the oil that was used was TITAN SUPERSYN F 5W30 which the garage supplied.

I hope this helps.

Ian

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The earlier cars were not made to tolerances that the superfine fully synthetic is designed to be used with. At best I would have used semi synthetic or better still a good old multi grade personally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The earlier cars were not made to tolerances that the superfine fully synthetic is designed to be used with. At best I would have used semi synthetic or better still a good old multi grade personally.
I see, so is this what could be making the "Oil Pressure Insufficient" warning go crazy once the engine warms up ? I also changed the oil pressure switch in the last few days as I thought that was the issue.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well it might be. How many miles are on the engine?
Also according to the Haynes some 1.4 petrol engines can have two coolant sensors fitted so you need to look into that. If there are two one will be screwed into the coolant outlet housing, that's the gauge, and the other will be screwed into the LH end of the cylinder head and is the one that goes to the ECU!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mileage is around 96K, I have only owned the car for around four weeks, the problems started around a week after purchasing it, and it was bought private so no comeback either, you lives and you learns as they say ..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also according to the Haynes some 1.4 petrol engines can have two coolant sensors fitted so you need to look into that. If there are two one will be screwed into the coolant outlet housing, that's the gauge, and the other will be screwed into the LH end of the cylinder head and is the one that goes to the ECU!
Okay that's great, I will have a check on them tomorrow morning, many thanks for your help :tiphat:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have not checked your particular car but the electronics on modern cars normally have a separate temperature sender unit for the dashboard display and the ECU. They may be a single dual unit or 2 separate units.
I would expect that the temperature in the readout you posted from the Foxwell unit would be the coolant temperature that the ECU is seeing in order to set the injection parameters, not the oil temperature, hence my comment. And the readout displayed does say it is in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.
Perhaps you should try to get a live reading using PP2000/Diagbox as these generic units do not always read Peugeots properly.
Being a 2005 model, your engine should be well capable of using synthetic oil. However, according to Peugeot, the recommended oil for your model would appear to be a synthetic 5W40, not 5W30.
Oil filters can fail also and cause issues with oil pressure. I would consider doing a filter/oil change using a genuine filter and a decent synthetic 5W40 oil and see if this stops the warning.
You have changed the oil pressure switch so that tends to eliminate the option of a faulty switch.
Another thing... has the sump ever been removed? The number of times I have seen an oil pickup blocked by excess silicone applied when replacing a sump gasket is scary. People seem to think more is better so pile it on and feel good when they see it squish out all over... gives them the assurance that all gaps must now be sealed so no leaks... YAY! But silicone breaks down in the sump under oily hot conditions and detaches from the 'squish' area and soon gets sucked into the oil pickup strainer where it stays and restricts/blocks the oil supply to the pump. So, if you have had the sump off or can see that it has been off before you had it [due to visible silicone squish around the outside perimeter], consider checking that your issue is not one of a blocked pickup..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not checked your particular car but the electronics on modern cars normally have a separate temperature sender unit for the dashboard display and the ECU. They may be a single dual unit or 2 separate units.
I would expect that the temperature in the readout you posted from the Foxwell unit would be the coolant temperature that the ECU is seeing in order to set the injection parameters, not the oil temperature, hence my comment. And the readout displayed does say it is in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.
Perhaps you should try to get a live reading using PP2000/Diagbox as these generic units do not always read Peugeots properly.
Being a 2005 model, your engine should be well capable of using synthetic oil. However, according to Peugeot, the recommended oil for your model would appear to be a synthetic 5W40, not 5W30.
Oil filters can fail also and cause issues with oil pressure. I would consider doing a filter/oil change using a genuine filter and a decent synthetic 5W40 oil and see if this stops the warning.
You have changed the oil pressure switch so that tends to eliminate the option of a faulty switch.
Another thing... has the sump ever been removed? The number of times I have seen an oil pickup blocked by excess silicone applied when replacing a sump gasket is scary. People seem to think more is better so pile it on and feel good when they see it squish out all over... gives them the assurance that all gaps must now be sealed so no leaks... YAY! But silicone breaks down in the sump under oily hot conditions and detaches from the 'squish' area and soon gets sucked into the oil pickup strainer where it stays and restricts/blocks the oil supply to the pump. So, if you have had the sump off or can see that it has been off before you had it [due to visible silicone squish around the outside perimeter], consider checking that your issue is not one of a blocked pickup..
Hi Will,

Very many thanks for taking the time to comment, I have an update on the car, had it checked over by a mechanic that knows peugeots inside out and the findings aren't good. There is an oil leak coming from the oil filter housing, the issue with it cutting out and stalling is a problem inside the timing chamber (something beggining with D) which will require half of the engine to be stripped down, the diagnostic check that he carried out came up with an issue with the front lambda sensor which was a new one fitted, he also tried another one that worked and it was coming up with the same fault so it would be an electrical fault somewhere which would require an auto electrician to look at it, and last but not least, there is a possibility that the bearings inside the engine are on their way out too.

So in order to fix the car I could be looking at spending nearly as much to repair it as what I paid for it, so the best conclusion is to get rid of it, which is a shame because it is immaculate interior wise, just a pile of s*** under the bonnet.

Well it will be the shortest time that I have owned a car in my life and the first time that I have been ripped of for the sum of eight hundred sheets, I'm sure they had great joy in doing it too ..

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Oil filter housing probably means that the oil filter was not put on correctly. This "timing chamber" has got me stumped as I have never heard the term before. Something beginning with D does not help us to help you. Go back and ask the chap to write down what he has found and we can go from there. The engine bearings inside the engine again needs clarifying. Can you hear knocking, does the engine blow blue smoke on hard throttle etc. before you give up lets get a proper story so we can help you.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
if the coolant sensors are faulty the ecu will over or underfuel making it cut out.

the oil filter unless the housing is cracked should be ok with a new filter. did they change the gasket?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts