Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would dearly like to fit a second battery and be able to run some of the main functions off it when the car is stationary with ignition off (or even on perhaps)
My car is the 2009 Expert Tepee.
It goes into economy mode fairly quickly even just playing the stereo and cuts off the electric supply.
It is set up as a sort of day van, or rather a night van, with a bed etc so its fairly fundamental to have this sorted.
Is this difficult, I have thought about going to a camper converter to get it done but it wouldn't be too hard for me to do myself as long as I am not rewriting software or something, computer seems to be in control...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I would dearly like to fit a second battery and be able to run some of the main functions off it when the car is stationary with ignition off (or even on perhaps)
My car is the 2009 Expert Tepee.
It goes into economy mode fairly quickly even just playing the stereo and cuts off the electric supply.
It is set up as a sort of day van, or rather a night van, with a bed etc so its fairly fundamental to have this sorted.
Is this difficult, I have thought about going to a camper converter to get it done but it wouldn't be too hard for me to do myself as long as I am not rewriting software or something, computer seems to be in control...
what is it you are wanting to use from said battery

·
Registered
182 Posts
what is it you are wanting to use from said battery
I sense someone is stealth camping. Not sure how safe it is but cant you connect to the cig socket? or use a Battery Booster Jump Starter.

Seen people put solar panels on the rood of their vans and tinted windows. :nod:

Why can you not keep ot seprate and have some kind of inverter? Sure there is tons of info on this on youtuibe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The van is not a stealth camper its a factory Peugeot conversion,
but sadly only with the one battery and not really thought through.
Its a half hearted attempt at a camper.
There is a bed that converts the rear into a bedroom, folds out of the rear seat.

I would like another battery and be able to use it instead of attempting to use the main battery for obvious reasons, not least the computer controller won't let me.

I would guess it would be mainly plugging technical equipment into the cigarette lighters, phones, laptop, head torch charger, portable compressor fridge, nothing too heavy.

Intend to fit a gas heater asap and this needs power for the fan.

Also I tow a caravan and so ideally this would be able to charge off the split charge via the leisure battery.

Another good feature would be a good connector for plugging in jump leads to the leisure battery keeping any potential problems away from the vehicle electrics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and yes to be clear I would like to be able to run the main electrical system, the radio, satnav, video player, interior lights, whatever from the new battery too when stationary if that was possible.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Oh and yes to be clear I would like to be able to run the main electrical system, the radio, satnav, video player, interior lights, whatever from the new battery too when stationary if that was possible.
The first lot of stuff and a second battery with split charge is easy but you won't be able to make all the other vehicle stuff run off a second battery without a lot of work

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
You would be best off fitting a battery / mains installation with all the necessary inverters & circuit breakers in place. That way you could use the mains hookup if available which would charge the leisure battery. The kit would also allow charging via the alternator when the engine is running. Fitting a second car stereo in the rear would be preferable to trying to get past the BSI shutting down the dash radio.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I agree with storeman by far the easiest way is to run everything extra you want of a second battery with a split charge system that way you wont need to worry about economy mode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly there is a factory installed mains input, I havent tried it yet, so that would be the next thing to try.

What would they power by mains if not the interior lights at least? Maybe nothing tho, maybe just the socket inside the van to plug your mains appliance in, electric toothbrush charger or whatever...

I'll have to change something as its a French mains input similar to a kettle lead with european domestic socket inside. I noticed the earth leakage trip behind the rear light panel.

Yes right hand drive, British car with foreign domestic electrics! I dont think they actively sold them here, just sent them for dealers to test the market.

As of now it is all original as it came form Peugeot, but it is crying out for a leisure battery, otherwise as you can imagine, the car powers down quite quickly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent finished trawling the manual but I dont suppose it shows the bed folding out either.
Do they usually come with a sliding table between the front seats that slides back between the second row seats?
This model was badged as a Vagabond, or Citroen badged theirs as Oceanic.
I know its hard to believe but true, a rare model, perhaps more common abroad, but maybe not. I dont think they went into full production, probably because it was no good without a leisure battery!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Adding a second leisure battery as said already is fairly simple, just use a split charge relay and connect to the existing battery through that. However, you would not be able to move existing items such as the radio/cd to power from it without a lot of work.
Powering new items not already wired in to the original battery would also be easy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same deal as a camper van usually has, mains in on body of car, in this case the rear bumper, to a trip, and other wiring yet to be followed, but easily traced to a mains socket nearby for use inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like the mains in socket is a standard 3 pin camper electrical hookup socket, and as on many caravans this probably only powers the interior 240v sockets.

You couldn't override economy mode without some serious hacking of the BSi or somehow tricking it into the thinking the engine was running (and I have no idea how you would do that). On the newer BSi's mayvbe also the older ones economy mode is timer based rather than battery voltage based why I don't know?!?!?!

You may have tried but I had more luck on google.fr than UK
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Peugeot+Expert+Tepee+Vagabond&biw=1920&bih=972&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4y7f51q3SAhUdOsAKHS_zBpEQ_AUICCgB#imgrc=vJ1V-g2osqNXbM:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts