have fitted resistors with no change
no warning lights on the dashboard and everything else works
standard halogens stay lit.
any ideas anyone?

regards john

·
Registered
814 Posts
Check which pin is 12v and which pin is Ground in the plug using a multimeter. Halogens aren't polarity specific but LED's are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi big k and thank you for your reply, I will check as you said although the
lights are H11 and the plug only fits on the one way, also the offending side
sometimes stays lit for several minuets before going off, it will come on again
if the fogs are turned off and back on again,it has me scratching my head:lol:

regards john:thumb:

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Normal bulbs are bad enough in foglights without fitting LED ones !

Led bulbs draw LESS current so its most likely a bad connection somewhere either in the wiring or the cheaply made bulbs it may even be the current sensing switching it off as it thinks its faulty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leds are NOT the cheaply made ones, they are of excellent quality, the led
goes out on the offside, swap the led over with the n/s and the same happens.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
They are ALL made in china :)

As i say the cars electronics are not happy with the bulb so are turning the feed off or you have a wiring issue.

I cant see the need to change the bulbs anyway its not as if we have fog every day and any person who uses them when its not foggy is simply inconsiderate and selfish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply 406, however I am not interested in your opinion why
I should want to change to leds, that wasn't my question

·
5,994 Posts
With a reply like that you will be luck to get any responses, we try to run a courteous forum.

Reliable is a well respected long term member and was just stating a point.

Why would you need to fit LED fog light bulbs, they will technically make the car illegal (as other than a few low wattage LED bulbs none are type approved).

Fogs should only be used when its foggy, where retrofit LED bulbs normally perform badly compared to a quality halogen such as Night Breakers due to the beam scatter and cause more bounce back in the fog.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The leds are NOT the cheaply made ones, they are of excellent quality, the led
goes out on the offside, swap the led over with the n/s and the same happens.
Yes it is cheaply made, I know for certain it won't be ECE regulated, so shouldn't be used on the road. (But they are front fog lights and seeing as you'll only use them for 0.0001% of the time in actual fog, who cares)

They are ALL made in china :)

As i say the cars electronics are not happy with the bulb so are turning the feed off or you have a wiring issue.

I cant see the need to change the bulbs anyway its not as if we have fog every day and any person who uses them when its not foggy is simply inconsiderate and selfish.
What Reliable406 said, it's an issue with the electronics, quite probably the bulbs itself introducing noise into the system.

the offending side sometimes stays lit for several minuets before going off, it will come on again
if the fogs are turned off and back on again
If the LED's are turning on, then it's not polarity. Original message wasn't clear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your replies, I am courteous as you can see I am thanking
you all, I am in my 40th year of driving next year so I do know WHEN to us
foglights:lol:

·
Registered
814 Posts
however I am not interested in your opinion why
I should want to change to leds, that wasn't my question
Wow... reliable struck a nerve with you! You really are one of those people who drive with your foglights on when it isn't foggy aren't you!? :eek: I've been waiting to find someone like you and ask:

WHY!?

Is it because you think you are cool with your foglights on? Or is it because you genuinely think it's foggy? :confused:

EDIT - Ah damn... maybe you aren't one of those people who drive with their fog lights on.... back on the hunt I suppose!

I would suggest doing it properly and buying these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-LEDFOG201-LEDriving-F1-12V-7W-Fog-light-Kit-6000K-Set/302720980516?epid=1738229496&hash=item467b939624:g:GB0AAOSwKfJalVqP:rk:7:pf:0

I have the more expensive Osram LED Foglamps / DRL's fitted to mine, no problems whatsoever. Plus it's all ECE certified so doesn't void insurance. It also creates a a thin light bar shape nice and low to cut through under the fog which is actually helpful in foggy conditions.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I have taken to turning on MY foglights and my high beam every time someone comes towards me with them on as i feel if they are blinding me its only fair i return the favour it has resulted in 1 set being turned off.

What i enjoy more though is if someone comes BEHIND with them on as my rear fogs are very bright due to never being used so nice clear lenses this tends to result in theirs going off OR they back off for 20 car lengths either way i see that as a success if more people done the same we could rid the roads of these idiots.

Just to be clear im NOT calling the OP an idiot.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have taken to turning on MY foglights and my high beam every time someone comes towards me with them on as i feel if they are blinding me its only fair i return the favour it has resulted in 1 set being turned off.

What i enjoy more though is if someone comes BEHIND with them on as my rear fogs are very bright due to never being used so nice clear lenses this tends to result in theirs going off OR they back off for 20 car lengths either way i see that as a success if more people done the same we could rid the roads of these idiots.

Just to be clear im NOT calling the OP an idiot.
You can't fix stupid reliable......

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
And with that comment you have hit the nail on the head i want MY eyes to last my lifetime so i wont tolerate other drivers hurting them.

Headlights are much brighter nowadays than they were even 10 years ago foglights are totally unnecessary and are used by people who are assholes or already blind !

When you are out and about you will notice much less people thank you with a blinding flash nowadays because they KNOW they dont like it so they no longer do it this is a good thing sadly the ones that are already blind still do it :)

We are going to get a slap for going off topic shortly :)

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
You can't fix stupid reliable......
Hey, that's enough.

Different members have different perspectives and we all ned to respect that here please.

I don't think we are going to get much more help for the OP on why he is having the intermittent problem so thanks to all who replied.

Thread closed.

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts