Peugeot Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers, I'm changing the two footwell lights and the dome lights (front and rear) All to blue.. The footwell Lights are the ones that are bright when you open the doors then dim down but stay on while you drive.. I've ordered some that Al suggested (he had used this type when he put footwell lights in his 2008. My car is 308 1.6 BlueHDi Allure

Steve

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
The other good reason for swapping to LEDs is that they react just slightly faster compared to bulbs.

An LED reaches full brightness instantly whilst a bulb is a few milliseconds later; this is important in the rear stop lights.

I read once that it equates to a large vehicle stopping around 6'/2m shorter due to the drivers reaction time in applying the brakes in an emergency stop.

I'd prefer to have a lorry stop 2m behind rather than plough 2m into my rear end...

Remember to use the correct colour LED in locations where it is a legal requirement; even behind a coloured lens as the brightness and colour will be weakened due to the difference in an LED wavelength compared to a bulb and the coloured lens is designed for a bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would caution against those replacement LED bulbs.

I researched LED bulbs as a replacement for H7, H4, H1 and HB3 halogen bulbs some time ago and only one make was worth fitting - Philips Ultinon X-Treme. All other makes are sometimes inferior to even standard bulbs and those that aren't don't place the LED chips properly to give a good light spread on the road.

There are two generations of the Philips bulbs and the second generation is markedly better than the first generation. The colour temperature of the second gen is 5800K compared to 6000K for first gen and the claimed improvement in brightness over a standard halogen bulb is 250% (2nd gen) compared to 200% (1st gen). In case you're wondering 5800K is better than 6000K as it isn't as blue.

There is a review that I read at the time that compared various +xx% halogen bulbs and the Philips LED bulb and the Philips LED was the best by far. Unfortunately I can no longer find that review.

Here is a comparison of the two generations of Philips X-treme Ultinon bulbs.
https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2019/01/philips-xtremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs

I also found a comparison of various LED bulbs and this very illuminating (sorry).
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlight-bulbs-the-brightest/

So why doesn't everyone fit LED replacements? Well, apart from their very high price (over £100 for a pair of bulbs!!) they are unfortunately not legal for road use. The light output is just too great as decreed by legislation and the same legislation requires self levelling and (I think) headlamp washers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't think headlamp washers are required for factory LED headlights. 308 T9 with Full LED does not have it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I seem to remember reading it is because of heat build up if the lens was to get muddy it would act like a blanket and HID generate a lot of heat.

LED tend to generate less heat.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I thought the requirement for washers for HID was becuse the mud caused much more dazzle for oncoming drivers. Can't explain why it's not a requirement for LED, maybe LED are not as bright?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Hi Brian...you are correct...don't know where I got the over-heating from but the dazzling you mention is correct:

Cars equipped with xenon headlights are required to have headlight washers to keep them clean. This is necessary because dirt and dust can scatter the light and blind other motorists. The cleaning system usually consists of a high-pressure jet of screenwash, but can even use small wipers.13 Jul 2018

Al. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Al, Ok, got my bulbs ready to fit in footwell lights and Dome lights.. Before I pull down the front dome/map light fitting (308 Allure 2016) Is there anything I need to particularly look out for? am I likely to encounter a whole load of trouble or will it be pretty straight forward? (i'm going with forewarned is forearmed)

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have a look here for some tips: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-122/retrofitting-led-mood-lights-reading-light-console-238313/

Do not use excessive force as it's not necessary!!

Al.
Hi Al, re our conversation a couple of weeks ago about the footwell lights to 2016 308 BlueHDi,I took your advice and ordered the bulbs you suggested (in Blue) You were right its a doddle to pull the lens down get the old glass bulb out and push the new silicone T10 in. I did both footwells and even in daylight they looked good... went out tonight to see what they looked like in the dark and neither are working lol.. dunno what the problem could be? all other interior lights are working fine, I would have thought the footwell lights work off the same fuse as the dome light? but its working ok.. Will pull the footwell lights down again tomorrow and have a look (try one of the old bulbs back in) as a side note I also took down the dome light in order to put a Blue silicone T10 in it .... No Chance, dunno what kind of bulb is in there but its certainly not a T10. Have a look at the pic attached.

Steve

121 - 136 of 136 Posts