Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have changed many of my bulbs to LED in my New308 Allure - 2015.

These are my suggestions. You may find some of these links have been replaced but that should be obvious and an updated link should be available:

Boot area:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMAZENAR-E...sr=1-28&keywords=Amazenar+t10+led+bulbs+white I used White but they also do Amber, Warm White and Red.

Rear Number Plate:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Lig...WRH7J9TW8B5&psc=1&refRID=AXRTTMV0SWRH7J9TW8B5 These are Non-CanBus.

WARNING:Confined space so DO NOT USE CanBus (or 'Error Free') LEDs in OEM unit as there will be too much heat from the resistor. Use only Non-CanBus.

Complete LED units are also available. See post #347 on page35. https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-122/led-suggestions-new308-200010/index35.html

Re: Complete LED housing units - Changing the units by removing the inner tailgate panel is a better option than trying to do it all by prising them out from the number plate side as you can access the sprung side clips easier without forcing them. See photos in post #20 on page 2 or #276 on page 28 or posts #319 and #320 on page 32.

UPDATE: See post #363 on page 37 for review of these LED units.

Sun Visor Mirror Lights

For removal of lens' see post #108 on page 11. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-T5-28...mvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1022140877758&rmvSB=true

Glove Box

Same fitting as boot but with a switch. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMAZENAR-E...sr=1-28&keywords=Amazenar+t10+led+bulbs+white if you like a bright light or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Lig...WRH7J9TW8B5&psc=1&refRID=AXRTTMV0SWRH7J9TW8B5 if you want it a little less bright.

NB: Prise from inside end of lens; not the door flap end as the on/off switch is fixed to light unit! Remove and replace carefully!

Footwells:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-x2-SI...var=521287203170&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

These dim 50% for night driving if you have the same system as my Allure.

NB: If you fancy a change of colour these are also available in Blue, Red, Green.

I had the Blue in my 2008 as they looked good with the blue dial surrounds. (See post #7 below).

Rear Turn Indicators:

25W (or 30W) XP-E

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-25W-75...1237700233?clk_rvr_id=970942789092&rmvSB=true

OR: 50W

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50w-AMBER...df7f28&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=301735834332

Front Turn Indicators:

I've tested one of the rear 25W XP-E LEDs in the front and it worked fine without any warning for 'bulb out' or hyper flashing. I do feel though that a slightly more powerful LED is required in this style of LED; maybe 50W for a stronger amber light as the LED is upright and is 55mm long and fits OK. Please note that I tested these 25W as emergency flashers with ignition off. I also tested them as emergency flashers and as turn signals with aux power on. I have also now tested them in full operation mode with the engine running and they're excellent.

However; these LEDs are primarily designed for horizontal fitting hence the domed lens tip but the illumination is good and they have a more sharper and positive on/off action than the standard bulb. I still think the 50W is a better choice though.

UPDATE:...definitely go for the 50W CREE in amber. 25W or 30W in the vertical position is just not bright enough in the sunshine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50w-AMBER...df7f28&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=301735834332

NB: Halogen headlamp models are forward facing so they will take advantage of the domed lens. GT models already have front LED (sequential) indicators

Front Fog Lights

LED's are available but it may be illegal* to modify them by swapping bulbs to LEDs in the fog lights as the lens and reflector are designed for a bulb.
* NB: I've been doing some searching on the web. See post #37 on page 4.

Fog lights are designed to have a low beam to highlight the kerb and road markings. The fog light reflector and lens are designed to work with halogen bulbs. Projection LEDs have a different beam pattern and will not work so well in fog as they cause more glare and refraction. It is not recommended to change bulbs to 'projection' LEDs in fog lights but see my post #64 on page 7 concerning 'mirror reflector' LEDs

Note: I have now fitted mirror reflector LEDs. See page 8 & 9. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-H11-...43&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100643.m3226

Reversing lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-ULTRA...rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=970958358665&rmvSB=true

No interference with reversing camera and much better illumination.

Rear Fog Lights

This link for the 30W version may now be out of date: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pair-Can-Bus-Super-bright-Brake-Light/dp/B00G4HLYXA/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1454327047&sr=1-3&keywords=Red+Cree+LED+P21W+canbus[/ame]

This is a 50W that will give a much brighter light, as installed by Pdigs89 post#439 page 44: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162712389968?ul_noapp=true

These take a P21W RED LED but be aware that fitting is not as straight forward as the other lights as the large tailgate plastic cover has to be removed then the units: See post #38 page 4 regarding trim and light unit removal.

Headlights; Main beam / Dipped beam

Please refer to separate thread: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-122/headlights;-main-beam-dipped-beam-202610/

NB: Similar makes are available but I've only shown the ones I have fitted and tested. All work well and give significant improvement with no 'bulb out' warnings appearing.

PS: My version is an Allure. Please check your model to ensure you order the correct LED.

I am only making a suggestion as to the type. Other makes and versions are available so if you find a good one then please share the details with us all.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
CONCERNING FRONT INDICATORS

There are two extra points for models with the Halogen headlights!

i) They are forward facing so they will take full advantage of the domed tip on the replacement LED and that will make them brighter.

ii) Access looks a lot easier so fitting should only take a few seconds to do.

The diagrams below show the difference between the Halogen models and the Full LED models.

NOTE: Removal of the full LED version trim is not as straight forward as the handbook shows. See my removal instructions in further posts. Al.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
...one extra point I think I ought to mention is regarding removing bulbs/LEDs.

If you use a small screwdriver/bradawl to ease out the bulb/LED then please ensure you wrap a little insulation tape around the tip!!

I know it's common sense but it's easy to miss when a bulb is being a bit stubborn and the screwdriver is right there waiting to be picked up!!

PS:...or use a plastic removal tool:

4pcs Car Radio Door Body Clip Panel Trim Dash Audio Plastic Removal Pry Tool Kit | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There is an important point I feel I should make regarding choice of LED.

You can install any colour LED behind a clear or opaque lens. Choose a colour suitable for purpose. i.e. Amber for turn indicators etc. Interior footwells can be white or a colour of your choice; just ensure they are dimmable if your version has the same function as my Allure.

Coloured lens' should have a matching coloured LED. i.e. Red lens = red LED; Amber lens = amber LED.

A white LED behind a coloured lens 'dilutes' the colour and is not as bright. This because a red lens will allow the red wavelength of the spectrum through and block the others, and there is very little of the red spectrum in a white LED.

PS: I found this example which I feel demonstrates this quite clearly:

NB: The colour choice should be appropriate according to the laws in the Country you are driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rear Fog Lights update:

I've just been down in my garage (yes I have a garage that I actually keep a car in - two in fact - rather than rubbish that I'll never need). Probably the only garage in Rugby used for cars!! :thumb:

I opened the tailgate and removed the large panel - it came away a lot easier than I was expecting using the large hook of the trim removal tools I mentioned earlier.

The light cluster comes away quite easily after undoing the housing retaining nut (a bit fiddly so don't drop it!) and you have to unplug the power lead; there's a very small release latch to squeeze and it just teases apart.

I tested the 50W LED I found and it worked well; shame is it was a white one!

This is the type I will go for: 2x 50W 1156/382/BA15S/P21W RED CREE LED CANBUS*** BRAKE LIGHT BULBS UNIVERSAL | eBay . I've had LEDs from ruudg10 previously and they've all worked well (in fact I think the one I used to test was from him).

Everything went back ok so no problems. Main panel also snapped back with some persuasion from the palm of my hand; again no problems.

Now I know how easy it is I reckon it's a 5 minute job.

I've now re-installed the ordinary P21W bulb but I will change to LED if one of them fails.

Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for putting this all together. In the future I might change my footwell lights.
Pleasure to do....the good thing to remember about changing bulbs to LEDs is that many cars use the same type in the same position so you can swap them back to bulbs when you change your car and re-use them in your new car....unless all cars are full LED by then.....:D

Al.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Regarding the front Fog Light/Turn Indicators chrome/black trim on the Allure...has anyone succeeded in completely removing this? Note: I have now resolved this issue. See posts below

In the handbook it just shows pulling it from the small recess.

I've done this and it does come away quite easily....all except the very front clips!

It gives enough room to change the front turn indicators but there are two screws to remove for the fog lights and I can only just get to one of them.

I don't want to damage the trim in any way by tugging too hard. I've tried my trim removal tools but it's just hanging in there like a stubborn loose tooth!!

My garage removed all the plastic tray under the front with no success before another mechanic tugged and twisted the trim from the outside and it came away.

I feel it should be easier to remove than that and I don't want to damage it by being too heavy handed.

Is there a knack to removing it safely?

UPDATE: Well I give up; I've just been down and had another go as I thought "...maybe if I try to prise off the front corner as I pull...". I managed to get my trim removal tool under the front corner and it just wouldn't budge. I pulled gently but firmly and the trim surround came away easily everywhere except on the front corner. Levering with the tool made no difference. It just won't budge.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re front trims.... Now resolved. See post below.

I've been thinking about this and I reckon there must be a pin on the chrome moulding that locates into an expanding panel lug on the black moulding that locks the front in place; either a pin or a tab that slides next to a black tab to lock the front.

I will have another look later as I think once the whole trim is pulled away and is just held at the front, it is then quite easy to separate the chrome from the black and in doing so that will release the locked fixing.

:confused: Someone remind me why I started this......:notsure:

:jedi:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Aha; just found this picture of the reverse: This looks like an earlier version as the latching tabs are missing. Later fitting modified by Peugeot. See my posts below.

Looks like the chrome tabs top and bottom may be the key as they appear to lock against black tabs.....?

PS: Not sure whether mine has a modified version of this trim as it appears to be connected to the main bumper at the front corner top clip?

PPS: I've just had another look at the full photo of this on ebay and this item is not the same as mine. The front and top locking tabs are missing. Just shows you have to be really careful when buying off ebay!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No luck with separating the chrome trim from the black trim. Now resolved. See my posts below

The bottom clip pulled away easily with a little prising but the front corner clip and top clip are stubborn.

They seem to be fixed into sockets on the white plastic bumper.

I don't want to force them too much in case they pass the point of no return and snap.

The only thing it prevents me from doing is fully accessing the front fog lights.

If anyone knows the knack required I'd like to know please.:lol:

PS: NOW RESOLVED. See posts below....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SUCCESS!! :wave:

There are two of the front corner lugs that clip into position and they need help to release.

I'll just download some piccies and I'll post them in a few minutes.

Al.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
RE: Freeing the front locking corner clips.

This photo shows the two slots where they locate and clip tightly.

You can clearly see the white 'clip' in the very top tab slot.

The other slot is the white horizontal tab slot on the far left (not the slots that show a black shadow in the opening) . The locking clip is on the tab on the trim itself:

The next photo shows the top lug on the actual trim. This needs pushing down with a trim removal tool to release it from the white locking clip:

The next photo shows the locking tab on the very front corner of the trim that needs to be slightly depressed to release it (NB you can also see the top tab in this photo):

It all snaps back quite easily starting at the front corner.

Much easier for me to do next time now I know how to do it.

PS: Not quite the 'put your finger in the recess and pull away' it says in the manual!!

NB: All the other clips remove without any problem at all. Earlier models without these locking clips/tabs should be a lot easier to remove and just 'pull away' as described in the handbook.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
This photo shows the front fog light and one of the two screws that need to be released to remove the fog light itself.

The other screw is out of shot. It is located diagonally across bottom left from the top screw.

Both are easily accessible.

Note that you will need a 'star' screwdriver bit to remove them, preferably a magnetised one to ensure you don't drop the tiny screw!

I now have a relaxed and fulfilled feeling about me now. :letsprty:

Please report back if you do decide to change to a whiter bulb/LED and, of course, post some comparison piccies. :cool2:

PS: If you don't have a magnetised star bit then a little blob of Vaseline (or similar) should work to stick the screw to the star bit whilst you position and screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post this photo as it shows the top locking clip clearly.

You can see that once that locking clip slips into the slot on the trim tab then there is no way it's coming apart unless you depress the trim tab to free it.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Re: Number Plate Light.

Regarding changing the complete number plate light unit for the full LED insert.

I suggest it may be better to access the OEM units from inside the tailgate by removing the inner panel.

This photo shows the nearside access with me sitting my butt in the boot. You can see that there is a 'double latch' clip to release on the side of the unit**:

There's not so much access to the offside though (drivers side RHD) -but still better than prising it from the outside:

** Trying to prise and release from the number plate side will probably result in the second latch breaking away. It only takes a minute to remove the inner tailgate cover so it's worth it if you go for the full LED unit.

NB: You do not have to completely remove the unit if you decide to just change the bulbs to LEDs. The small plastic lens is easily removable. There's a small latch on one side. I'll post some photos later*.

*Now done; see page 3.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 540 Posts