Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

i fitted Philips Extreme Ultinon Led headlight bulbs (H7) with philips can bus device and everything. When turned on with the engine not running they worked fine. After turning the engine on they started to flash after a few seconds! Wiring is good and solid. We noticed that when the engine is running the voltage on the lights increases but within correct limits.
Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Adding a ballast resistor in parallel with the bulb to increase the current drawn in the circuit usualy cures it assuming Mr Lee is correct.

·
6,572 Posts
Some now require a capacitor and not resistors as they have changed bulb failure detection from being load based to checking for continuity of the filament.

I had to fit a 4700uf 25v electrolytic capacitors to my DS 5 fog light leds to stop errors just double check you wire them the right way around

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brilec

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for your replies, i expected that this kind of issues would be solved with the separate canbus harness but i guess it does not work for all cars.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
With the fact there flashing it sounds like the bulb failure circuit is pulsing the circuit to check the filament is intact.

Unfortunately the load its now detecting is the LED driver which is getting charged up then causing the LED to flash.

Pulse detecting for faults on electrical circuits is nothing new, we where doing that on forklifts 30 years ago.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The simple answer is to forget the LED and fit Osram Nightbreaker (or the Philips equivalent) bulbs. Almost twice the light output on the road ahead, simle plug and play. And cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing i found is this video:
I speak a little italian so what he says is that Peugeot 308 (as other french car makes like renault megane etc) has a difficult canbus system for led light fitting. They tried some alternatives and concluded to a specific kit that includes both resistors and capacitors (so i guess windy1603 was right). They sell the kit on line in Italy, I have sent and e-mail asking if they make international shipments.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your new fancy LED bulbs are upsetting the cars built in bulb failure detection circuit.
+1

and they are not street legal, just like many others led-halogen "replacements"
very often there is written on packaging "non homologized, only for offroad use":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
congrats on wasting your money.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what is NOT funny, is when opposite car has them fitted-during night it will etch your retina !!!👿👿
because light fixture was designed-homologized with halogens only; therefore it will shine literally everywhere making others go blind 👿

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1

and they are not street legal, just like many others led-halogen "replacements"

I went only for the low beam that has a projector and should be fine. Also i went for philips and not chinese stuff for the same reason. If they weren’t correctly calibrated i wouldn’t use them.

congrats on wasting your money.

The shop took them back as they didn’t work mate so no harm done.
I cannot see the contribution of your post on this topic though!

·
Registered
491 Posts
If those on the video mentions can-bus in any relation to the lights then they don't have a clue. When will people learn. Can-bus does not have anything to do with lights, that's a communication protocol, there is nothing to communicate with the bulbs!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It's incorrect terminology yes, the bulb failure sensing system is the cause of this problem. That possibly does have some CAN BUS connection though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts