Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Peugeot 407. I am leaving the country for 6 months and was wondering whether to take battery off the car and store for the duration or leave it on and probably charge the battery up on my return. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Disconnect the battery at least. Perhaps a solar charger would help keep it in shape. I suggest you fill the fuel tank and change the oil and filter too. Jacking the car up and supporting it with the wheels off the ground will be good for the tyres.
This used to be routine for winter storage years ago.
However modern cars can stand sitting idle much better nowadays. If the car still has its original battery you should be prepared to relpace it on your return.

Roger.

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
I agree disconnect the battery as it will be flat in 6 months and if left to go flat it can also wipe the BSI meaning the car cannot start again without recoding the keys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help. This is basically what I thought but was a bit frightened of causing problems by leaving the battery disconnected for so long. I didn't know how the electronics would react when connecting back up again. I think I will take battery off and recharge it before putting it back on and hope for the best. It will be due an MOT and service before I take it back on the road, not withstanding the drive to the MOT station.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Make sure you go through the battery disconnection/reconnection procedure.

That will mean that the driver's window will be left open while the battery is off.
This has been discussed here before,but I can't remember what was suggested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leave battery connected to vehicle and use intelligent battery charger set to 'winter mode', maintaining battery condition - hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts