Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
A friend of ours went off on holiday in her trusty 2003 307SW 2.0hdi.
filled up first thing, 100 miles and later in the day the accelerator seemed vague and when she put her foot down for a hill it died. She thinks she may have seen a puff of black smoke in the headlights of the car behind.

The recovery guy turned up and transported it to a local garage who ran a diagnostic test but found nothing, no fault found.

She had it moved to her local Peugeot main dealer who charged her £60 for a diagnostic check but again found nothing.
They told her all they could do is strip it down and look for the fault, but it could cost more than the car is worth and set about selling her another car.

So what's happening to your old car then? I asked. I have to get it out by the weekend so Ill get the scrap yard to pick it up.

I made her a better offer what with my C5 needing both radius arms rebuilding.

So I have this good looking 307sw sitting on my drive. Flat battery on charge. tank full of diesel and a maxidiag fr704 plugged in and ready to go. Its not the best kit I know but it worked surprisingly well on various cars so far, but It can't see live data without the engine running. I am getting the same no faults detected as both the main dealer and the independent it was first recovered to. I haven't any funds for messing about too much with this, so it's last chance saloon!

Oh, other clues. She had a new alternator drive belt fitted just before her holiday and this battery is well flat and the car is in conservation mode. When I turn the key I don't hear a lift pump and the small bubble in the filter outlet hose only moves when I use the primer pump. Should it have a lift pump? It turns over ok while what little charge it has lasts with the odd chug but never actually started. Oil and water ok with no obvious signs of a blown head.

Any help would be very much appreciated :help:

·
Registered
22 Posts
We had a similar issue with a truck at work (low power and then stopped altogether), turned out that they had run it very low on diesel and when they filled it up all the gunge in the tank was stirred around and it clogged the fuel filter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call.
I can see fuel in the filter outlet hose and it moves when I press the primer but is that any guarantee it is even getting to the high pressure pump, let alone in enough quantity, quality or pressure. Is it even Diesel I can see.
So following this reasoning:
Would any of the above leave a fault code in the system or fail to show up in the live data at the dealers ?

Happy to replace filters and so on but the car is untouched from the moment of failure apart from diagnostics so there should only be one fault.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thats what i'd do , give it a good charge and clean all the filters for a start and did it go into limp mode , stupid question but did the garages try a forced regen , just trying to narrow down the possibility's starting with the simple things especially if no faults are showing up on any diagnostics equipment

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
the well flat battery will not help Pugs are fussy on voltage the Economy mode is just that until it starts Its meant to stop the battery draining

Was it filled with Derv or Petrol

Try a fully charged Battery whilst spraying easystart into the intake

or better still

go here
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/diagnostic-peugeot-planet-map-7734/
and search the Planet map for forum users in your area

then PM the nearest planet guru for a diagnostic

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garage didn't do anything but diagnostics and sneak a peek at the timing belt as far as I can tell.

She filled the tank and got 100 mils away so it must be diesel.

Battery has been on charge all night so ill lob it back in in a few min's and give it a whirl. Is it the same size battery as a 2.2hdi C5? I could half inch the one out of my car or is a jump start a better plan?

I have easy start so ill give it a go. :thumb:

G

·
0 Posts
Be careful with reconnecting the battery, wait for 3 mins after connecting the battery before opening any door, as Pug ECUs can be funny buggers...:nono:

Definitely replace the fuel filter, its a cheaper option, and throw some injector cleaner of your choice into the filter housing with the new filter to maximize the cleaning effect.

Does your car have a lift-pump, or is it not there as you have a priming bulb..??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be careful with reconnecting the battery, wait for 3 mins after connecting the battery before opening any door, as Pug ECUs can be funny buggers...:nono:

Definitely replace the fuel filter, its a cheaper option, and throw some injector cleaner of your choice into the filter housing with the new filter to maximize the cleaning effect.

Does your car have a lift-pump, or is it not there as you have a priming bulb..??
Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

It does indeed have a primer pump but I don't know if it has a lift pump or not. where do I look for the pump and the fuse?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I have codes.
P0341 Camshaft sensor loss of synchronization.
P0336 Engine speed signal not plausible.

with a full charge it tends to chug once or twice and throws the starter motor out of engagement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Again, not sure if the same applies but always brings codes like that up on trucks at work after repeatedly turning them over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be. I had a similar problem with C5 once. It had a Bosch system and needed a new pressure transducer. That episode chucked a few wild cards up on diagnostics. I think this system is Siemens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bit worried by this starter getting disengaged while cranking. Didn't do it yesterday but now its at random intervals????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I whipped the starter of and it's not engaging properly. off to get a new one and a fuel filter.

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
Clear those fault codes and crank it if the cam sync comes back it has jumped teeth on the belt and is now out of time.

Starter may well be faulty but its not your problem more caused by repeated long cranking.

if siemens system it has NO LIFT PUMP

Whats the engine code ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clear those fault codes and crank it if the cam sync comes back it has jumped teeth on the belt and is now out of time.

Starter may well be faulty but its not your problem more caused by repeated long cranking.

if siemens system it has NO LIFT PUMP

Whats the engine code ?
Will do

Got a new one, will fit it after lunch.

Yes Siemens, something less to look at.

Where do I find the Engine Code?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RHY 2 litre 90 hp so IF the belt has slipped not a big deal just some broken rockers and its good to go again :)
Yay, some good bad news for a change lol

I'm still fitting the starter. its it a nice easy location but surrounded by clutch slave cylinder and electrical ducting, not so easy when you have hands like wreck it ralph.

Do I pull the rocker cover off now or try starting it again first?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts