Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people have lane keeping assistance constantly switched on?.

I must admit, I think I preferred earlier incarnations of this technology when it just used to rattle the seat or whatever (used to be a handy massage facility!). I am just not sure I trust it to not put me in danger as there are real life scenarios where a slight veer across a lane at short notice is hard to avoid, such as when overtaking in lane 2 an HGV that is in lane 1 and just as you are passing, the lorry veers too close to the line for comfort so if nothing is in lane 3 you veer over yourself slightly, almost instinctively, to make sure there is enough room. If you didn't indicate, would it throw you back into the path of the lorry?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have it always switched on. It won´t «throw» you anywhere as long as you actively steer the car. No problem crossing a line without indicating, only a slight resistance in the steering wheel. Just enough force to keep you in the lane if you let go of the wheel (or get distracted otherwise). I quickly got used to it (not had lane keeping assist in previous cars).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have it always switched on. It won´t «throw» you anywhere as long as you actively steer the car. No problem crossing a line without indicating, only a slight resistance in the steering wheel. Just enough force to keep you in the lane if you let go of the wheel (or get distracted otherwise). I quickly got used to it (not had lane keeping assist in previous cars).
Same me for - the only issue I have is that on one stretch of road where there has been a repair over km the car see the repair as the line, it tries to steer away from it when the actual line is 1 m further to the right.

It is only a slight resistance and once you are use to it then it will not hinder you from changing lanes if you really need to.

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
Sorry to buck the trend here but I have mine permanently switched off.

Just simply didn't like wheel resistance which unnerved me so best not use it.

My wife didn't like it either, so it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry to buck the trend here but I have mine permanently switched off.

Just simply didn't like wheel resistance which unnerved me so best not use it.

My wife didn't like it either, so it was an easy choice.

In all fairness - on city or country roads its not ideal, on a motorway is the ideal situation to use the tech

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have disabled lane keeping assistance, as Beau says, on motorways I found it unnerving and on country roads somewhat dangerous at times. I never had this problem with my Focus and left lane keeping assistance on all the time.

A lot of the local roads here in France don’t have central white lines but those that do and are narrow have caused some concern to me. When passing an oncoming car it is often necessary to keep well to the nearside but when the road is clear it is natural to move nearer the centre of the road and the white line. It is at this point the steering wheel (in my view) quite forcibly snatches away from the white line which can take one by surprise and could cause one to veer off the road into a ditch.

There have been some lengthy discussions on this subject in previous threads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A small win for us with cheaper trims: there's no active lane assistance in my Active trim level, so we don't face this 'first world problem' :D

We get a sound alert, which is very convenient and I plan to keep it on.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have disabled lane keeping assistance, as Beau says, on motorways I found it unnerving and on country roads somewhat dangerous at times. I never had this problem with my Focus and left lane keeping assistance on all the time.

A lot of the local roads here in France don’t have central white lines but those that do and are narrow have caused some concern to me. When passing an oncoming car it is often necessary to keep well to the nearside but when the road is clear it is natural to move nearer the centre of the road and the white line. It is at this point the steering wheel (in my view) quite forcibly snatches away from the white line which can take one by surprise and could cause one to veer off the road into a ditch.

There have been some lengthy discussions on this subject in previous threads.
I'm with you on that. I've also noticed that white lines in France tend to disappear when it rains so the system probably won't see them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A small win for us with cheaper trims: there's no active lane assistance in my Active trim level, so we don't face this 'first world problem' :D

We get a sound alert, which is very convenient and I plan to keep it on.
For my region this comes as an option. When I order the vehicles back then there was many complains about this tech including french forums. Thus, I did not order then. I'm glad now, not to include it and it is very clear that Peugeot needs further improvement on this tech.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm with you on that. I've also noticed that white lines in France tend to disappear when it rains so the system probably won't see them.
If the system does see the invisible white lines that is the one time I'd like to use it. Many is the time, as you say, I've lost sight of the lane markings and had to feel my way between lanes of fast moving traffic, especially on the Paris outer ring road.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If the system does see the invisible white lines that is the one time I'd like to use it. Many is the time, as you say, I've lost sight of the lane markings and had to feel my way between lanes of fast moving traffic, especially on the Paris outer ring road.
I've only travelled the Paris ring road once, during early morning rush hour...never again. Talk about mad drivers, I needed clean underwear at the end and a weeks holiday to recover:eek:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Lol if your driving round the peripherique you go where there is a space to go, in fact even if the space is too small you probably need to drive in it anyway :):eek:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Lol if your driving round the peripherique you go where there is a space to go, in fact even if the space is too small you probably need to drive in it anyway :):eek:
I was going to reply to Yorky's post to say that I have no problem driving around Paris. I like to have heavy rock playing on the stereo and bear in mind the idiom 'when in Rome...' :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
For my region this comes as an option. When I order the vehicles back then there was many complains about this tech including french forums. Thus, I did not order then. I'm glad now, not to include it and it is very clear that Peugeot needs further improvement on this tech.
Sorry to buck the trend here. I can´t fault the implementation. Just a matter of getting used to. For me at least. It´s an assistant (there to save me), I´m still the boss.
It can detect shadows from lane-dividers(?) etc as a line to keep away from, but if you don´t care and keep on driving, it adjusts accordingly (my experience, the sun is low in Norway in the autumn). At least it is smarter than the driver, when the driver loose consentration. I keep it activated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Living in rural Norfolk there are very few dial carriageways on my day to day travels so I have turned off the system. I will turn it on again when going on journeys which includes dual carriageways and motorways.
When it’s on I find it makes me more disciplined in indicating when I’m about to change lanes!:nod:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Living in rural Norfolk there are very few dial carriageways on my day to day travels so I have turned off the system. I will turn it on again when going on journeys which includes dual carriageways and motorways.
When it’s on I find it makes me more disciplined in indicating when I’m about to change lanes!:nod:
We know what you mean about rural Norfolk. Great isn't it? Especially this time of year when there's not so many of those southerners up here :thumb:

As for this lane departure thing, the missus asked me to turn it off for her because the system made her 3008 Bi-polar..
Most of the time it's Ok then for no apparent reason the car sprout a Japanese sun flag and goes into kamikaze mode. It frightens her half to death.

Grumpy.

Reactions: colinsnap
1 - 18 of 18 Posts