Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I fitted a new wishbone on the passenger side as I thought the knocking sound was coming from that so replaced it and yes a bush was broken but now I'm still getting this knocking sound when I am turning left or right . It's fine in a straight line?? Anyone?

·
Registered
238 Posts
could be driveshaft related, or even drop links to the anti roll bar, the other one it could be is the top strut bearing. just jack it back up and check these areas for any play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I did think about driveshafts but when we did the wishbone the driveshaft seemed fine CV rubbers were not perished at all.

The links were nice and tight with minimal movement, how could I test the top strut bearing? The "Dogbone" mount was solid underneath the car too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it's when you turn hard left or right, it could be the CV joint. I recently had my offside CV joint replaced because of a knocking sound when I turned hard right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah that's not too sad, before I buy one though is there anyway I can test to make sure it is the cv joint? So there is nothing to take off to expose the cv joint?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I paid £21.00 (brand new) for my CV joint on ebay. It was a complete kit with the gaiter and clips included.
The mechanic got me to drive the car slowly in circles while he walked along side listening for the knocking. It was easy to spot which of mine was causing the trouble. I suppose it depends how worn yours is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah yes I have found the same kit on eBay I think! Well the knocking is only when I'm turning and can tell its from the passenger side just didn't know If there was any visual checks I could do to see if it was definitely the cv joint?

Do you know what I got to take off to get the cv joint off anyone?

Ash

·
Registered
158 Posts
I doubt that you would see anything wrong with the CV joint, possibly the gaiter has a split in it, but that wouldn't prove the CV joint was knackered. You could try jacking up the wheel and putting in on full lock, then try twisting the wheel vigourously while listening for the knock. It may not show up though, depends how worn it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i had the same problem recently, with my peugeot 207, the exhaust bracket was broken and it was only making a knocking noise when turning left or right. changed the exhaust and there was still a knocking noise. What i did previously was that i bought some alloys for it but i didnt get the wheel nuts for the alloys and was using the steel wheel nuts, as soon as i changed the wheel nuts to the proper ones, the knocking noise has gone and its been fine for weeks now. Just a thought you might want to check yours. might help might not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will give that wheel wobbling a try tonight ! I did think about exhaust but it's like the knocking only happens when you turn the steering wheel most the way round like going on a wide bend it won't do it until the apex which makes me think it's something under pressure knocking...

Perhaps I should just buy the joint and replace anyway, the boot is intact but it is not that tight on the joint. Does anyone know what I gotta remove to get to it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wishbone

Hey so I fitted a new wishbone on the passenger side as I thought the knocking sound was coming from that so replaced it and yes a bush was broken but now I'm still getting this knocking sound when I am turning left or right . It's fine in a straight line?? Anyone?
How easy/hard was it to change the wishbone and what sockets are needed ? I'm doing mine on my 207 at weekend. Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts