Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 307 2.0 HDI 110 on the cheap a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that something on the car underbody is knocking about. I've been under the car and shaken, wobbled, tapped and booted everything I could think off (exhaust, heat shields, pipework etc), yet I can't find anything which could be causing the knocking. It's infuriating. It's most noticeable when there is lateral movement in the car, which suggests to me that it's a component which hangs or is supported vertically, but it's also present when there's a large bump.

It DOES sound like it's the exhaust, but the silencers and piping are fairly sturdy and don't produce the same sound when I give it a good shake.

There's a chance it could be the wheel arch liner knocking on the drive shaft/CV joint, but the knocking sounds as though it's caused by a much heavier component. I've ruled out all other bits of flimsy plastic trim too.

I've wondered if it's the gaiters around the shocks as these are loose, but again the sound on inspection doesn't sound like the knocking whilst driving.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks that they use or know of to identify and eliminate these knocks?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New shocks and track rods are on my shopping list, so when I get round to playing with the steering, I might be able to find out more.

I even gutted out the spare wheel box yesterday, to see if there was anything rattling around in there...

·
Registered
441 Posts
New shocks and track rods are on my shopping list, so when I get round to playing with the steering, I might be able to find out more.

I even gutted out the spare wheel box yesterday, to see if there was anything rattling around in there...
Its a common fault for the bushes to perish on the lower wishbone arms, get wheels off both sides and inspect the two bushes that bolt onto the chassis (if they are cracked they are shot) but you wont be able to see the full damage unless you remove them off the lower ball joint as this will stop you bending the arms down far enough to see the damage.

also a good point to renew the lower ball joints too as they can add to the knocking if worn.

you have a choice of replacing the just the bushes in the wishbone (pain in the ass) you will need a press or replace the whole arms (easy way)

:thumb:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cheers Mooseman :thumb: my thinking with the car is if anything seems like it's on it's way out like a track rod end, I'll just replace the whole assembly.
we have 3 x 307's in the family and I have replaced wishbones, drop links, lower ball joints on them and cured it every time. :)

like you say if you are in that area then replace the whole lot for peace of mind!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that - it's a route of investigation for me to consider. It's seeming more and more likely that it's steering and suspension - at times you can feel every pebble in the road throughout the car, so I'll have to look at the shocks and springs, as well as track rods and other bits

·
Registered
687 Posts
you might also want to take a look at the lower engine mount and ARB bushes as well whilst you are at it, as doing the wishbones, TRE and drop links will undoubtedly tighten things up and move any knocking to the engine mount and ARB bushes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts