Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought myself a 307SW as mentioned in the introduction area.

When I go over pot holes, there is a knocking noise coming from under the car. It seems to be around the front passenger side.

It kind of sounds like the exhaust may be catching somewhere but if anyone has any pointers on what this could be I would appreciate it!

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had the car at the garage. They had a good look round the front end, it has had new anti roll bar links and track rod ends are also ok.

They couldn't see anything unusual, had a good poke round and nothing seemed out of plave / damaged.

Does anyone have any other ideas what may be the cause of this knocking noice?

Cheers, and thanks for the input so far :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well car is booked in for Thursday this week and I'll pass on all the comments people have made.

It only knocks when turning and going over potholes at the same time. In straight lines and going over potholes you dont get any noise.

Knocking noises are so frustrating!!! :(

·
Registered
586 Posts
In the last week I have replaced 6 bottom ball joints on these vehicles. No play was detected in them but when stripped I found a flat spot on the ball stud. Euro Car Parts are cheap for them. 41mm Deep Single Hex socket required or as I found before I purchased a socket. Hammer chiesel and a set of Stilsons

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MadV said:
In the last week I have replaced 6 bottom ball joints on these vehicles. No play was detected in them but when stripped I found a flat spot on the ball stud. Euro Car Parts are cheap for them. 41mm Deep Single Hex socket required or as I found before I purchased a socket. Hammer chiesel and a set of Stilsons
Thanks very much for this, I drop the car off tonight so I'll pass this on to the mechanic.

Cheers again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MadV - thanks very much for your info the other day, it turns out the passenger ball joint was very slightly warn but enough to cause the knocking.

Very happy now so cheers for that! :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, Ive had both ball joints replaced and the knocking lives on! :confused:

Its really frustrating as it only occurs when turning left or right over uneven road surfaces.......

To date, Ive had new drop links, ball joints, anti roll bar links, steering knuckle. If anyone has any ideas or is aware of anyone who could take a good look at it for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
307 knocking

My 307 rapier has the same issue... seems to come from front nearside, though as mentioned, only when turning, or hitting potholes.
so far though, no ideas as to the cause.
whatever it is, sounds loose.

G

·
Bottom control arm bushes - TBH, it's hardly any more expensive to replace the whole arm than to fanny about pressing new bushes in. Commonish on 307s and 206s.

There's not much left after that, beyond the steering rack itself or a tired strut top mount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my 307 and following reading this post decided i'd try the control arms. I replaced both lower control arms and the problem is fixed! By the way - I did it myself and it was a pig of a job. I think most of the bolts had been done up with an air-gun so very difficult to remove. Also I managed to do it without fully removing the driveshafts so no need to replace the gearbox oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cheers for the replies, seems to be quite a common problem. I think what I'm going to do for now is just leave it and look at getting them replaced if it gets worse. I don't think there's any danaged caused to the car as it is, I might be wrong though??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts