Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have noticed a knocking at the front of our 407 mainly whilst turning the steering wheel and sometimes whilst on the stright. Is this the ball joints that have gone and if so what bits will I need to fix this?

:)

J

·
0 Posts
zerocool5050 said:
Hi all,

I have noticed a knocking at the front of our 407 mainly whilst turning the steering wheel and sometimes whilst on the stright. Is this the ball joints that have gone and if so what bits will I need to fix this?

:)
I had this on mine a few months ago (75k ish) - first started when turning fairly hard in a car park, but would then do it when going round corners or over a bump on a road. Unfortunately it was the ball joints - one was very loose and one well worn - outcome, two new joints needed. I had mine done by Peugeot under the warranty I got when I bought the car, but would have cost £400-£425 to have them do them otherwise (£90+VAT per joint, plus labour).

Worst bit for me was they decided to go whilst on holiday in Lincolnshire :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be a big problem with these, been looking on ebay for ball joints, I see there is a lower and upper ball joint, do i only need the lower ball joints?

Would be nice to have the new upgraded ones but requires a whole new hub etc as they sound like they re designed it for the better.

Looks like Im going to have to do the work myself as have no warranty with this as purchased privately.:(

·
5,026 Posts
I paid £38 a PAIR from ebay a couple of years ago:lol:
still got one lurking in the back of the cupboard waiting for the inevitable:nod:

·
5,026 Posts
zerocool5050 said:
Seems to be a big problem with these, been looking on ebay for ball joints, I see there is a lower and upper ball joint, do i only need the lower ball joints?

Would be nice to have the new upgraded ones but requires a whole new hub etc as they sound like they re designed it for the better.

Looks like Im going to have to do the work myself as have no warranty with this as purchased privately.:(

just be the lower one needed
easy job to do,pop over to 407owners theres a lovely chap on there done a 'how-to' guide:nod: :nod:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have got a pair on watch at the mo, £59.99 if me and my Father in law can fit them it will be a good cheap job. (we had a good time fitting new calipars and disc and breaks on a MGZR I had)

How long does it take per side?

I read somewhere that some guy attempted it and ended up with gear box fluid P155ing all over.

Is there anything I need to be looking out for??

·
5,026 Posts
chopper1192 said:
I wonder who that could be Neil...?
:lol: Yes Rich i wonder:thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, well whilst on the scout for a cheap pair of balls :) I have found some on ebay for just under 64 quid but they say that they dont come with rubber seal:confused:

What seal is this refering to and could I use the old one if there is on on there???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, well whilst on the scout for a cheap pair of balls :) I have found some on ebay for just under 64 quid but they say that they dont come with rubber seal:confused:

What seal is this refering to and could I use the old one if there is on on there???

C

·
0 Posts
They were selling for £60 odd retail but I had a discount code from when I'd bought a shedload of spares from the seller previously, so the 'price' depends on your perspective.

I have a spare one somewhere but I've moved house since then and I'm not entirely sure where it is. Used ones painted up make nice little ashtrays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts