Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent knock when turning... normally when fairly hard turn to the left. If I pull into car park, almost full lock left, then when starting to reverse and turn to the right, I hear/feel a knock.. does it also when turning left into my road and going over the manhole, and likewise when reversing off the drive turning left at the same time it can knock when coming off the pavement. It was in Peugeot a fortnight ago for something else, and I asked them about this, but they've said they can't find anything wrong, but I'm not convinced myself. Any ideas what it could be?

BTW, ball joints were replaced last year, approx 10k miles ago :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Droplink - not sure what this is?
Spring and shock are fine - should be easy to see if these are faulty, and its generally good over bumps, no knocks over speed bumps etc, only intermittently when turning left and go over a bump. Just come home and when it knocked before, it was completely fine this time in exactly the same places :confused:

·
5,071 Posts
droplink is number 4 in the pic

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Sounds like droplinks. The only verticle bar in the suspension. Sometimes plactic, and therefore crap!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These droplinks are pennies on eBay... anyway of me being able to confirm this is the fault?
Would I need to do both sides at the same time? and would it be something that someone with basic DIY car skills could change?

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Piece of piss mate. Hard to check though, when the car is jacked up they don't move much coz the weight is hanging! If you can reach them when the car's on the ground they'll move a bit.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now they aren't the easiest things to get at when the wheels are on :nono:
But, managed to get in behind them and have a tug on them... they don't seem to move, just make the whole car wobble instead.
I presume if it is this, then the symptoms I described earlier would get worse and more frequent? Are there any other symptoms that I should look out for which would point to these? These are a new one on me, and don't really know what they do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The car that Hursts were going to sell to me and then didn't knocked at the back every time it went over even a small bump, does yours do that at the front?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really, I can go over all bumps, speed bumps included and its fine... it just intermittently knocks when turning left at the same time as a bump, or as this morning, would knock when parking when there wasn't any bumps at all :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
wouldn't be a spring sticking on it's bearing and then freeing up when you compress/jossle it going over the bump?
Sorry I cant think of anything else, maybe universal joints in drive shafts?

Tighten up those bolts on the lower ball joints if you are under there anyway.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CV joints was at the back of my mind, particularly as its when turning reasonably hard, but not being too mechanically minded, don't really know what I'm doing :D

I suspect I'll have to leave it until it gets worse in order to help pinpoint the symptoms better.

Thanks for your help.

·
5,071 Posts
turn the radio up......................works on my van :lol::lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turn the radio up......................works on my van :lol::lol:
Yeah that would do it :D
I have been told that I'm a little OTT at times.... any new knock/squeak/vibration etc and I have to find out what it is :nod:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This had got worse today... when turning left to pull away, heard a clonk from front n/s and felt a judder through the steering wheel, and steering/performance just didn't feel right driving home at all :(

I don't think its anything to do with suspension as it does it when on perfectly level ground just moving away... but 99% of the time always when turning the wheel left. Its got to get looked at as the way it feels now I'm reluctant to keep driving it!

So that'll be yet another garage bill for this car.... spent loads in the last 12 months repairing/replacing no end of parts :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had exactly the same clunking noise when reversing out of the driveway and turning just had it in the garage today and it turned out to be the top strut mount had gone, all fixed and running fine now. :thumb:

·
5,071 Posts
anyone know if the 407 has the same strut-top thingy as the 406?? that used to cause issues

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any time really.... done it in both conditions, although more frequently when dry as not been out too much recently when raining.

Hope its not that... thats an expensive part compared to cv joint, droplink or top strut mount.

Personally, not convinced its suspension orientated as it does it just as frequently on flat ground with no bumps involved at all... just turning... and 99% of the time when turning left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts