Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had a car with keyless entry before and was just wondering what owners do regarding keeping the key out of range of the car to prevent theft?
I know the key has to be inside the vehicle for it to start but what is the range of the system to enable opening of the doors?
I know that a number of security experts recommend keeping the key in a tin in the house to block the signal if the car is on the drive and there are even special wallets containing a faraday cage available in the US to block the signal and prevent devices from extending the range of the signal.

Interested to hear other people's views on this

·
Registered
272 Posts
Never had a car with keyless entry before and was just wondering what owners do regarding keeping the key out of range of the car to prevent theft?
I know the key has to be inside the vehicle for it to start but what is the range of the system to enable opening of the doors?
I know that a number of security experts recommend keeping the key in a tin in the house to block the signal if the car is on the drive and there are even special wallets containing a faraday cage available in the US to block the signal and prevent devices from extending the range of the signal.

Interested to hear other people's views on this
If it is anything like the keyless key on my qashqai you had to get the stupid thing right next to the door!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
They won't find mine. Car won't start without key in close proximity (mine picks up key not in car as soon as I get out with engine started), but don't leave it within a few feet just in case.

·
Registered
765 Posts
They won't find mine. Car won't start without key in close proximity (mine picks up key not in car as soon as I get out with engine started), but don't leave it within a few feet just in case.
They hold a device up to your front door that intercepts that signal from the key and amplifies it significantly. Recent thefts caught under CCTV show them doing this. If high end cars can be stole this way, I doubt anything from the PSA group is any more secure.

The best security is probably that the car is made by peugeot, so not really a high theft priority. Metal tin things like a good idea and probably not just for the car keys.. a lockable key safe is a good idea for household security in general.

Also don't keep keys by the front door so they can be fished through the letterbox.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah I've seen that device. I keep mine in a lead lined safe, and I'm pretty sure the signal can't penetrate, and nor could I the other day because the wife changed the combination and forgot to tell me!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah I've seen that device. I keep mine in a lead lined safe, and I'm pretty sure the signal can't penetrate, and nor could I the other day because the wife changed the combination and forgot to tell me!!
So not had too much experience in safe-breaking then Lee?

I can't comment on the Pug as I've got a good old fashioned key (how quaint!) but with my Qashqai it had to be in my pocket or if it was in my bag, I had to be holding the bag before I could open the door.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Only real way to stop this is either:
a) block the signal - as indicated
b) manufacturers to enhance the starting mechanism to log into their servers once every few starts.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A couple of very large German Shepherds works too. I pity any car thief that tries to break into mine, because their barking and growling can be very intimidating, although they are not at all vicious. You have to be careful in the UK, where thieves and burglars have more rights than homeowners. If it was left to me they'd be dog meat, but the old farts in white wigs take another view!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
A couple of very large German Shepherds works too. I pity any car thief that tries to break into mine, because their barking and growling can be very intimidating, although they are not at all vicious. You have to be careful in the UK, where thieves and burglars have more rights than homeowners. If it was left to me they'd be dog meat, but the old farts in white wigs take another view!!
They'd make a right mess if you left them in the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Personally i don`t care, that is what insurance is for. As long as no one gets hurt in the process the metal box on wheels can always be replaced. Not tried unlocking at a distance but mine will not unlock in the drive with the key in the house and that is about 4 ft away and through 2 layers of brick.

Reactions: Jill

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Some of you are only half correct here.

*The car won't start unless YOUR key is in the car.

Whilst that might be true as far as you are concerned, the latest security flaw is replicating the signal that your key produces using a transmitter / laptop etc...

Your signal essentially has to be a certain strength to unlock the doors, and a higher strength to start the car.

This signal can be picked up from outside your house (unless you shield it) and amplified to a level where the car thinks you are much closer. Thus allowing them to start the car and drive it away.

Not a lot you can do about it unless you start wrapping everything in Tin Foil or building your own Faraday Cage on the dining room table!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We seem to be in 'Hang 'em High' territory suddenly.
( ....a bit OT....don't tell, but I discovered my travel history going back years when I looked at google maps yesterday.......struth! Talk about BIG BROTHER!)
Where will all this tech stuff have us end up I wonder.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I found the tailgate open this morning and I don’t remember opening it yesterday. Not that I’m worried about the car being stolen as the only thieves around here are deer and squirrels and they haven’t learnt to drive yet! It was raining hard and I was worried about the boot being flooded but the tailgate kept it dry. I looked out at the car at breakfast and I’m sure the tailgate wasn’t open then so it’s a complete mystery.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I found the tailgate open this morning and I don’t remember opening it yesterday. Not that I’m worried about the car being stolen as the only thieves around here are deer and squirrels and they haven’t learnt to drive yet! It was raining hard and I was worried about the boot being flooded but the tailgate kept it dry. I looked out at the car at breakfast and I’m sure the tailgate wasn’t open then so it’s a complete mystery.
Our cat turned on the tv so he would be my number one suspect.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you have the automatic boot, then you can open it by accident if you hold one of the buttons on your key.

It should not be possible to open your car if you are not standing right next to it (or don't have equipment to manipulate the signal). If you stand on the drivers side, passengers on the other side of the car can't even open the doors until you unlock the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some of you are only half correct here.

*The car won't start unless YOUR key is in the car.

Whilst that might be true as far as you are concerned, the latest security flaw is replicating the signal that your key produces using a transmitter / laptop etc...

Your signal essentially has to be a certain strength to unlock the doors, and a higher strength to start the car.

This signal can be picked up from outside your house (unless you shield it) and amplified to a level where the car thinks you are much closer. Thus allowing them to start the car and drive it away.

Not a lot you can do about it unless you start wrapping everything in Tin Foil or building your own Faraday Cage on the dining room table!
Anonymous wrote a whole article on this with a video of thieves doing it.
When you are at home you cam protect your car but what about when you go to the shops?
What stops a thief from starting you car in a parking lot while you are in a shopping mall, wait until you are out of site, then drive away with your car?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.