1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I think it might be worthwhile to elevate this somehow to Sticky status,
as the following, whilst perhaps well-know to those who know,
is not well known to the neophytes and can cause immense problems.
It probably applies to many models. Mine is 307 SW 2004 2.0 petrol

The car key suffered the button collapse that is common, so that
the inside circuit board is viewable.

I have 2 spare keys (flat batteries).
I transferred the circuit board from the broken one to the spare.
Car stopped working. I did not know that there is a hidden transponder.
This is discussed elsewhere. New key opens doors. Apparently the
circuit board and transponder must be paired.
[Would be glad to have an explanation of this].

Anyway, I would like to warn everyone not to swap keys/circuit boards,
and of course most of use are unaware of the presence of the transponder
hidden in the shell, particularly when a new shell is bought from e.g ebay.

All the best
Andy

·
Registered
822 Posts
if you still have old key case, blade end is a small chip.
That's the transponder chip.
Just put into new key.
Should solve your problem.
If you've no longer got old case, then you need to buy new transponder chip.
It will need programming to car with pp2000.

·
Registered
695 Posts
when you go to program the new transponder with planet does that not unpair the central locking circuit board on the key from the car??or at least the locking part on the key is still paired with old transponder unless you use a new key with blank circuit board

so then your car will start(with newly prog transponder) but your central locking wont work

or have i picked it up all wrong?
wouldnt surprise me :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
when you go to program the new transponder with planet does that not unpair the central locking circuit board on the key from the car??or at least the locking part on the key is still paired with old transponder unless you use a new key with blank circuit board

so then your car will start(with newly prog transponder) but your central locking wont work

or have i picked it up all wrong?
wouldnt surprise me
Yep you are 100% correct, the remote pcb is paired with the transponder chip when it was first programmed, when you program a new transponder it deletes all transponders not present in turn deleting remote out of system too, if you loose the chip then you need a full new remote chip and pcb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

It is the pairing that is counterintuitive to me.
Yes the garage guys swapped the transponder from the old shell (afraid that is where I ended up) and we have functionality again.

The reason for writing the alert is that on the old keys (mine is 2004) most people will not see
that transponder hidden in the shell.
I gather that on newer keys the transponder has moved onto the circuit board.

I have a running car now, just need to get back to the exhaust gas problem p0410.

All the best,
Andy

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep you are 100% correct, the remote pcb is paired with the transponder chip when it was first programmed, when you program a new transponder it deletes all transponders not present in turn deleting remote out of system too, if you loose the chip then you need a full new remote chip and pcb
Thanks for confirming that for me :thumb:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
So does this mean i can use my old pcb with a new transponder chip ?
If you do that, the remote locking will not work. If you have to replace the transponder, the whole fob (pcb and transponder), must be replaced with a brand new one.

Just to make it clear - if the transponder is lost, the pcb is useless.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Thanks Guys,

It is the pairing that is counterintuitive to me.
Yes the garage guys swapped the transponder from the old shell (afraid that is where I ended up) and we have functionality again.

The reason for writing the alert is that on the old keys (mine is 2004) most people will not see
that transponder hidden in the shell.
I gather that on newer keys the transponder has moved onto the circuit board.

I have a running car now, just need to get back to the exhaust gas problem p0410.

All the best,
Andy
correct, old none flip keys have a small transponder not on pcb but on programming pcb and transponder are linked together, on newer flip keys (only exception I have seen is 1007 4 button flip key has separate transponder, or if someone has cloned a chip to repair a flip key) the transponder is on the pcb.

·
Registered
81 Posts
correct, old none flip keys have a small transponder not on pcb but on programming pcb and transponder are linked together, on newer flip keys (only exception I have seen is 1007 4 button flip key has separate transponder, or if someone has cloned a chip to repair a flip key) the transponder is on the pcb.
sorry to jump in on older thread but it is key related on my 308 i have just programmed another key so i have a spare for my car
problem is the remote locking will not work it was a new key fob virgin it programmed straight away and starts the car but can not get locking working from new key works on my old key which was reprogrammed at same time ? i read somewhere on here other day about being 2 signal types for same car but can not find post

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
sorry to jump in on older thread but it is key related on my 308 i have just programmed another key so i have a spare for my car
problem is the remote locking will not work it was a new key fob virgin it programmed straight away and starts the car but can not get locking working from new key works on my old key which was reprogrammed at same time ? i read somewhere on here other day about being 2 signal types for same car but can not find post
there is about 10 types of key, 0536 0523 fsk ask.......

have you tried to sync the key:
turn ignition on
press and hold lock button on remote (10 seconds)
let go of lock button
turn ignition off
test key

i can also supply and cut keys to code or from a working key or from a door lock or ignition lock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts