Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth fitting a K&N filter to my 208 1.4 diesel. Will there be much improvement, or shall I save my money?

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi matey I new to the forum myself, unfortunately I'm not to hot on cars as I own bikes mainly, usually just changing the air filter to a high flow will give a bit of a bark but as far as I'm aware that's it, however with a bike, if you combine that with a new exhaust and re-jetting then that does release a few horses, however that can be expensive for a car lol. But some forum members will know so much more so just hang on before you get one, let other members have their say on this, I may be totally wrong :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not a tuner, so I may well be wrong, but I'd have thought that it wouldn't make much difference. Diesel performance is basically set by the amount of fuel injected. With a turbo engine (or for that matter in a non turbo) I suspect that that air flow is already at an optimum level for that amount of fuel. I'd suspect that any tuning to the point where more airflow would be needed would mean all sorts of remapping, and mods to the turbo etc.
The thing of putting less restrictive air filter(s), certainly on a carburettor type petrol engine along with rejetting, is that if you can get more air in on the induction stroke, then you can get more fuel in at the right mix, hence the bigger jets.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would guess that maybe on hard acceleration when the engine requires the most amount of air it may help a bit, maybe.

No smoke no poke is not really true, black smoke is unburnt fuel which does not equate to "power" what you want is an ideal stoichiometric ratio of 14.5 parts air to 1 part diesel {where did i see those figure before:D}

If you have a bit of smoke on hard acceleration (that isn't an injector turbo other fault) then it might be worth while.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a K+N on my 406, but only as another 406 forum member was offering it up for grabs - freshly oiled for £10

Was it worth it - yes, but only as it was cheap. My car does seem to have a bit more 'spirit' but I could be imagining it

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it worth fitting a K&N filter to my 208 1.4 diesel. Will there be much improvement, or shall I save my money?

Hi i have just fitted a K&N Air Filter to my 508 sw 1.6 e-HDi auto am in the process to see if my fuel consumption improves was getting 62 mpg on a run which is very good being as you only have to clean these filters as opposed to throwing away old filters you must save money overall but will post updates after my next trip.

·
Registered
241 Posts
In my opinion it makes absolutely no difference to power, probably less if it's a cone.
Also, if it's an oiled filter it will kill your MAF over time as the oil burns on to the sensor element. My advice is not to bother, or use a good quality cotton panel filter if you want to upgrade it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
waste of money...only by decreasing filtration will you get any more air into your engine and that means larger particles are allowed into the combustion chamber. The only way it makes financial sense is if you clean and re-use it, but you need the right cleaning oil, so it will take years to get back what you paid for it. They can give you a bit more intake roar though, and that makes it feel more powerful but there's little evidence to suggest they make more power.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Over the years I have bought into the idea of 'performance' filters but since moving away from carb setups I have changed my perspective.

Now I just belive in standard air box with standard paper filter unless the car is highly modified. Most pattern part paper filters are absolutley fine and cheap enough to replace on a regular basis. My car gets a new one with every service at around 6-8k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts