Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JZR recall campaign for the Puretech 110 / 130 finally hits the UK ( already rolling out across Europe ) - measure / check the timing belt & update the software.

Failure of the timing belt can damage the brake vacuum pump which can lead to loss of braking assistance.

UK owners can check there VIN on the link below.

Recall Campaigns - VIN (peugeot.co.uk)

My 308 has been recalled by Peugeot but it's not on the DVSA database yet.

Concerns March 2013 - April 2017 built Puretech 110 / 130 engines.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any idea what the software update does? Is it related to fuel contamination of the oil?

·
Registered
46 Posts
They have implemented an alarm when the pressure in the mastervac (brake amplifier) is too high.
Depending on the size distribution of the belt debris, belt debris may first clog the oil filter. In that case, the oil filter open its bypass valve without alarm. The oil pressure alarm toggle only if the oil pump strainer is clogged first.
When belt debris enter the pressured oil circuit, they will clog the vacuum pump strainer (which is very small) and kill it.
This is only for turbocharger engines which have a vacuum pump, atmospheric engines are not concerned.

Perharps they also implemented an analysis of the oil pressure depending on the engine temperature,rpm,etc.. to toggle an alarm but I'm not aware of it.

They also tighten up maintenance recommendations.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mines booked in for 18th March - it was already booked in for MOT that day but there now also doing the JZR recall.

Its not mission critical as its only done 36k miles so it can wait till then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Booked in for 8th Feb it's done 32k miles,about time Peugeot acknowledged this in the UK.
Seems this campaign is to reprogram the software to alert the driver a bit earlier of impending doom and hopefully get to the workshop in time the next step is to get to the cause of the real problem ,Gen 3/4 belt replacement without question.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mechanic friend - his wife's Puretech 110 powered 208 has been recalled as well.
He has already had to clean debris out from the inlet VVT solenoid.

Both my 308 & his 208 have the generation 2 belts fitted.

There is also talk online of the timing belt interval being reduced down to 6 years / 62k miles as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got mine back this morning. The belt was within tolorences and there was a software update. With only 25500 miles on the clock I wasn't expecting any problems. I wonder if this check will become part of the normal checks during servicing.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed the recall is now showing up on the DVSA / MOT database with a date of 26th January 2021.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just found out the recall is being done in (Western) Australia as well. Dropping mine of next week, we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a worldwide recall so where ever PSA sells vehicles with this engine there gonna get recalled for a safety inspection & software update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my car service done today and included this recall. Belt ok and software updated. 1.2 130 FEB 2017 23k. Low mileage so wasn’t expecting any problems. No change to interval change as far as I am aware (112k/ 10 years) so I would presume if I keep getting it serviced at the main dealer and it needs replacing before then Peugeot would cover the costs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
We experience same unclear situation in France. Some got an interval change, others not without clear reasons apparently not linked to mileage or driving conditions.
In France, theoretically, PSA covers costs of belt failure until 150.000km (~93.000miles)/7years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my car service done today and included this recall. Belt ok and software updated. 1.2 130 FEB 2017 23k. Low mileage so wasn’t expecting any problems. No change to interval change as far as I am aware (112k/ 10 years) so I would presume if I keep getting it serviced at the main dealer and it needs replacing before then Peugeot would cover the costs?
Further to the above, I looked under the bonnet of my car and noticed they seem to have fitted a new part to the engine. It is located near the bottom right corner of the engine cover and can be identified by a bit of yellow plastic. Probably a sensor of some sort. Anyone have any more info?

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested, the gauge which dealers use to check the timing belt width is 16.6mm. If the belt is wider it should be replaced.
Just in case anyone wants to check for themselves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Further to the above, I looked under the bonnet of my car and noticed they seem to have fitted a new part to the engine. It is located near the bottom right corner of the engine cover and can be identified by a bit of yellow plastic. Probably a sensor of some sort. Anyone have any more info?
Does it look like this ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok this is the brake booster pressure sensor.
It is installed by default only on engine having Start & Stop feature (it allows the engine to be restarted when the vacuum pressure becomes too high)
Of coures this sensor is mandatory to get the alarm (ECU update done durng the recall) when the pressure in the brake booster is too high due to vacuum pump failure.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just had a urgent safety recall letter through my letter box.

Peugeot JZR recall.

It also states the timing belt replacement interval is now reduced to 6 YEARS or 62500 MILES whichever comes first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had a urgent safety recall letter through my letter box.

Peugeot JZR recall.

It also states the timing belt replacement interval is now reduced to 6 YEARS or 62500 MILES whichever comes first.
Can you post a copy of the letter obviously minus your personal information. Last time I queried the interval they were still saying 10 years.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts