Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so after the ongoing idle issue with my 406 I have managed to scrape together the cash to buy a Lexia3

it comes with a cd that is supposed to contain software but I don't hold much hope that it will be in any way up to date.

So what is the current software that I want to use with a Lexia3 on a 1998 406 1.8 16v (I would like to be able to program new keys as well if possible)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Since OBD was only mandatory on petrol cars since 2001 & diesel cars since 2003 then your car is probably not fully compliant so some options may not be available. I assume you already have a laptop which is running the version of windows as recommended by the seller.

Your car may also have a different diagnostics connector to the standard OBD and some kits come with an adapter lead, did you check that the lexia kit will actually fit your car.

Not all the options in the software are available as you need a valid dealership login to access parts of the system.

As for programming keys, not sure that is available outside of dealerships. It may well be in the software but could be available only with a dealership login.

The software and lexia can give you information and insight as to any issues with the car but some of the information is not immediately understandable or could mislead without a thorough understanding of what it is telling you.

When you read the errors, post the codes and some of the more knowledgeable on here are able to interpret these error reports and assist you in diagnosing the issues

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.

That is all information I already knew and yes I have a laptop with XP and the car has an OBD connector.

However that said you did not actually answer the question I asked.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
In your case the older the software the better , if it comes with Diagbox don`t load it until you know what version it is ,
Version 5.02 better for you , V6 or V7 not so good :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seller did not actually state which software came with it beyond it having PP2000 in the listing title on amazon.

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
I agree and coding keys is possible on your car along with every other peugeot

Latest is not always the best just install what it comes with and you will be fine

Be ready for a fight though its not always straightforward :)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

That is all information I already knew and yes I have a laptop with XP and the car has an OBD connector.

However that said you did not actually answer the question I asked.
The car is 15 years old and considering that OBD has only been a requirement for 12 years is is a reasonably safe bet that even the oldest software would cater for a car of that age so yes I did answer part of the question and the other part regarding keys - I stated I didn't know

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
Planet can talk to nearly all peugeots with an ecu even pre 2001 models if you use the correct lead if the car has a socket :)

Not just 16 pin some had different plugs but it can talk to them

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok recieved my lexia 3 today.

Lots of different cables that I don't recognize.

obviously for plugging into different interfaces depending on the car involved.

I also received 2 CD's with it

one labeled simply PP2000 and one labeled PP2000 V47 DiagBox 6.01

if I am making sense of the files right it looks as though one the first disk are older versions of the software like DiagBox V5.02 and older PP2000

There are also files like Lexia45, and Lexia46 which I am assuming are updates to the unit itself?

the second disk then seems to contain Diagbox v6.01 and updates to bring Diagbox up to v6.19

It also contains what appear to be updates to pp2000 and the lexia itself.
pp2000_update_V24.21.exe and Lexia_update_V347.19.exe

do i have the right idea on what these files are?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok figured out that the lexia stuff is for citreons

Also that the version of PP2000 supplied with this unit is v23.25

one of the cables that came with it is the 30 pin citreon connector so got that figured

There is one though that has 2 battery clips and what looks like a 2 pin probe on it but I have no clue what that is for.

it also came with diagbox v5.02 and v6.01 with the updates to take it up to v6.19

But as yet I have been unable to get any version of Diagbox to activate, I'm not sure if this is because I am running it in a virtual machine or not.

I am starting to wonder if I have wasted my money on this because all I could get pp2000 to do was a global scan which returned no errors.

The diagtool (f4) just says ECU did not answer and PP Measure just says absence of the measuring unit.

so it does not seem to want to diagnose anything which puts me no better off than when I started. I now have an expensive gadget and still have a car that won't idle right.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The lead is for cars that don't have power to the OBD socket I believe.

In an earlier post in this thread, you said that you had a laptop running XP so I don't understand why you are running a virtual machine. The VM may be causing issues that cause the tool to report no errors. I couldn't get the tool to recongnise the car at all when running it inside a VM.

Does the tool automatically retrieve the cars VIN or do you have to input it yourself ?

Personally, I'd forget the VM and install the software directly under Windows XP and try again. There is a thread on the forum which has links to a PP2000 install guide. Find that and try installing the software again following these instructions and hopefully your 'expensive gadget' will transform into a usefull tool that was well worth the investment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yes it was an error in terms on my part I have a win7 laptop running xp in a virtual machine.

I can't install xp directly as there are no xp drivers available for this laptop so nothing would work.

I have seen plenty of videos of people running it under a virtual machine so I thought it would work.

At no point does PP2000 ask me for or display any vin number the only thing it asks me is model of car and 4 digit build code from the suspension top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i went out yesterday and bought a second hand laptop running XP to use as a diag machine.

Installed PP2000 last night and plugged it into the car this morning.

I get no more information from it than i did before.

diagtool still returns no answer from ecu.

if I go into the replacement parts section which is where coding of keys would be done I get a choice of what i assume are 4 either ecu's or bsi units. all boch.

Selecting any of them returns a no answer from ecu error.

I should note that my car has a sagem ecu

After the global test which returns no errors I can select the ecu and get a few more options like display parameters and such but it still seems very limited compared to what i was led to believe I could do with this thing.

I really feel like i am just throwing away money of fancy gadgets and tools and getting nowhere, my wife is ready to take a sledge hammer to the car and possibly me

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
diagtool wont work on a 406 only planet

What version did you install I have 5.02 it works fine and you might find you need to run this to get the results you require don't update anything unless you HAVE to newer is not always better :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
since the version number you gave is a diagbox one and not a pp2000 one i'll assume that's what you mean.

The unit came with:

Diagbox v5.02
Diagbox v6.01
pp2000 v22 with an update to v23

Diagbox 5.02 I could not get to validate without error.

PP2000 v23 is what I used to read the car

I have not tried Diagbox v6.01 yet

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
I thought you needed diagbox installed for planet to work properly planet v22. whatever is what im using some interfaces cannot work properly with updates over a certain point this may be your issue someone with more knowledge will confirm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts