Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Bought a 307 hdi 2ltr 2003 car yesterday. Really enjoyed my drive home. Nice to see the petrol gauge not move much, since my last car was a Jaguar 3ltr petrol
Ok, under the engine bonnet there seems to be a bodged fix on a part, with some type of filler. Looks like the fix, as ran it's course as there seems to be a creamy type leak dryed around it. Unsure what this is, and doesn't look great. I have taken a photo, but unable to upload here until I have posted 5 times.
Not sure how I can show you my photo???

Leads me to my next question, once I know what part to get, where is the best place to purchase? And is it easy to replace? I'm not a mechanic, by a long shot, but normally do alright with clear instructions. Failing that, it will be at the garage doctors ;). Repairs for this car, will be a relief after owning a Jag!!

I wasn't given a handbook for my car, and wondered if you had an idea if this info was available on here, or as a pdf?

Another problem I've got is, the volume on the steering wheel stalk doesn't work. Well, I can turn up the volume on it, but won't function when pressing the down button. Guess this will be a complete new part, but wondered if anything else could cause this fault?

Sorry for all questions, I'm sure I have more soon too :eek:

Kind regards, Paul :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
mrpaul said:
Hello all.
Bought a 307 hdi 2ltr 2003 car yesterday. Really enjoyed my drive home. Nice to see the petrol gauge not move much, since my last car was a Jaguar 3ltr petrol
Ok, under the engine bonnet there seems to be a bodged fix on a part, with some type of filler. Looks like the fix, as ran it's course as there seems to be a creamy type leak dryed around it. Unsure what this is, and doesn't look great. I have taken a photo, but unable to upload here until I have posted 5 times.
Not sure how I can show you my photo???

Leads me to my next question, once I know what part to get, where is the best place to purchase? And is it easy to replace? I'm not a mechanic, by a long shot, but normally do alright with clear instructions. Failing that, it will be at the garage doctors ;). Repairs for this car, will be a relief after owning a Jag!!

I wasn't given a handbook for my car, and wondered if you had an idea if this info was available on here, or as a pdf?

Another problem I've got is, the volume on the steering wheel stalk doesn't work. Well, I can turn up the volume on it, but won't function when pressing the down button. Guess this will be a complete new part, but wondered if anything else could cause this fault?

Sorry for all questions, I'm sure I have more soon too :eek:

Kind regards, Paul :)
Famous last words :D Not too sure until picture what it is you are on about.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Pretty sure that's the thermostat housing. Looks like someone has broken the air bleeder off. Check your local scrappy. Any 2.0 hdi pug or citroen should do the job.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I have seen some iffy bodges before ....... but that one is definately right up there with 'em..... what a lash up. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. It is a real bad job. Not even sure what that is, they fixed it with. Helped me bring the price down on the car. Is it an expensive part if bought new? Is there a good on-line store you guys/gals recommend to purchase this part?

Here are some more photos:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l364/0-game-on-0/Peugeot 307 Hdi/IMG_0488.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Others showing this creamy colour leak. Any ideas what that is?:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l364/0-game-on-0/Peugeot 307 Hdi/IMG_0493.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l364/0-game-on-0/Peugeot 307 Hdi/IMG_0490.jpg

---------------------------------------

Weird stuff over the battery terminal too:
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l364/0-game-on-0/Peugeot 307 Hdi/IMG_0498.jpg

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
It'll just be coolant leaking I would think mate. It tends to stain when it does.

As said earlier, that looks like the thermostat housing.

It could be the guy put some sort of sealant in there as well to try and plug the leak, have a look in the header tank and see what state that is in.

That's just white grease on the battery terminal - it's meant to help stop corrosion.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Charlie. The header tank is clear. If it is the housing that's bodged, and I can get new one. Guess it'll be a case of draining the water. Installing housing, and refilling with coolant/water and bleeding. If it is this simple I could do that myself. Just don't know where to buy one, and what the correct part number is.

Good to hear staining is nothing too serious. Thanks too for telling me about the battery terminal ;) ;)

Thanks Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Fitting is no bother. I used to run a few banger racers and the first thing i did was throw the stat over the hedge to stop them overheating as quick!! Don't be afraid to try the local dealer. I've found them as cheap a lot of the time but where ever you get it make sure you get the gasket if it's new. If you get one without you can get gasket paper at your local motor factor. Don't worry too much about draining the system. Just make sure shes cold!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers stevoxsi.
Looks like I will have to go to main dealer, due to unabe to find anything that looks like that over the net. Think I may have to invest in a Haynes manual! For my Jag, I had some pc software, that showed all part numbers, and instruction on fitting. Can't find anything like this for my 307 so far.
I would guess, there's a drain plug at the bottom of Rad. Just need to find the bleed screw, and all should be good.

Will get a new gasket too.....if a jobs worth doing.... :)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
there is a website, go to google, type in peugeot servicebox...registration is free...on top right there is a language selection, change from french to english. when all logged in, put in you vin, it will show your car. look in the general area, and it will show what the part no is etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks cck2k9.
Did what you said, tried to bypass the address procedure, but it wouldn't allow me.
Finally got in. Yes that is like what I had for my Jag. Tried to find this part. Not sure, but the nearest looking thing is called an outlet tank (1336 S4)...could that be it??

Looks like I'll still need to ring main dealer.

Thank you for all the help in here. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to main dealer today. Ordered the water outlet part. Only £10!! Gasket ordered too just for good measure.

My next question is, where is the drain plug please, so I can drain the coolant. Fit new part and replace coolant?

Regards, Paul

PS, they thought it was a real bad bodge job too :nod: , for such a cheap part too!:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again all.
Went out and bought an Haynes manual today, in the hope it can help me fix my water outlet part, that I'm picking up from main dealer tomorrow.

Manual reads about draining the coolant, disconnect the battery and battery tray and remove both. Is this really necessary?? I'm concerned about the radio code. I don't have it.

Manual also mentions, drain plug at the cylinder block after removing the hose at the rad. I have read somewhere on the net, that removing the hose is enough to drain, and the plug doesn't need removing.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please.

Regards, Paul

S

·
0 Posts
Dont worry about radio codes, they are programmed to the vin of your car so it should be ok

As for the drainage questions i'm not too sure, hopefully someone will pop by whos done this before :thumb:

To be honest i would have thought hose removal should cover it though!

just remember if you are removing your battery to follow the correct procedure for "waking up" the car when you reconnect, search for BSI reset on here for info :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stubbo said:
Dont worry about radio codes, they are programmed to the vin of your car so it should be ok

As for the drainage questions i'm not too sure, hopefully someone will pop by whos done this before :thumb:

To be honest i would have thought hose removal should cover it though!

just remember if you are removing your battery to follow the correct procedure for "waking up" the car when you reconnect, search for BSI reset on here for info :thumb:
Thank you Stubbo for confirming radio codes.
Thanks too for bsi procedure...had no idea about that. Have since found bettys post on the correct removal.

I have just spent about an hr trying to locate the second bleed screw on the heater hose outlet! Jeeze this looks a nightmare to right as it is right at the back....think this maybe why Haynes tells to remove the battery. Was going to try and do it, without touching the battery after reading about the BSI. I've searched this forum for info on bleeding and can not find much info. I wondered if I would get away with just using the bleed screw on the water outlet?? I'll keep searching and report back later how it goes.

By the way, peugeot dealer said, I didn't have drain al the coolant to replace my bodged water outlet part. Just said I could replace and make sure to bleed. I just thought it best, being a new owner to renew the coolant at the same time.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, all done new part fitted. Took longer than planned, but went ok. Did have to remove the battery, to get to the heater bleed valve.
Whist I had the engine running to get the car hot, and bleed the system. I moved a red plug that has two wires running into it. When I moved the wires, the engine spluttered badly. I have taken a photo of this part, with hope someone can identify the part, and help me understand why the spluttering should occur.

Many thanks Paul

Photo link:
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l364/0-game-on-0/Peugeot 307 Hdi/IMG_0510-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts