Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just bought a 407 sw, it's got 165k miles on clock, no service history, no record of timing belt being done, ( I know it doesn't sound the best but I got the car for the right money) , it drives great, bit of smoke on first start up but then fine, Obviously it needs a service , and timing belt, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
With no service history you would probably be best off replacing the water pump along with the timing belt and as you're already taking things apart in that area, the aux belt as well. I'd also flush the brake system with new fluid not forgetting the clutch. Check all rubbers and bushes and of course brakes.

Just because there is no service history doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been cared for. A lot of members prefer to do their own servicing and more regularly than the recommended interval so apart from any receipts for parts (if they've kept them) when one of these members comes to sell on their car it also will have little service history. After saying all that, it is still wise to get a service history if at all possible :)

·
4,025 Posts
hi...I like high mileage cars...they wouldnt have high mileage if they wernt look after...my own 407 done 100k in 4 years..ex company,,now its mine for a rest... good luck with yours

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I've never done much on cars in the past but I've been watching a lot of stuff on YouTube and I really fancy having a go myself, some of the advice there may be to much for me to do but great advice, I have been looking on this forum for quite a while before I joined( there's loads of useful information , the sites great!!), my 407 is a 2.0 hdi , I've also got the dreaded depolution system fault too!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I've had the car just under a week, I think the previous owner has left it like this for a while, should I be worried? The car seems to drive fine, not in limp mode or anything, I've looked on some of the other threads regarding this and will look into getting this resolved, thanks again

·
4,025 Posts
Hi...dont think about the 'dreaded depolution fault' as a pain...I think its realy good as it gives you a warning that it needs looking at..Its also could relate to anything to do with any sensor on the engine/fuel/emissions/air intake to name a few ..so as above have the faults read by planet/diagbox then rectify and enjoy the ride...there are members on here who will help read your faults if you not too far away....good luck and have fun

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I did pop into the main dealer to ask and they wanted about £60 for putting it on the diagnostics,but what you've suggested sounds great

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi & welcome.

"anti-polution" is a generic message that could mean anything, so you need to get it plugged in to find out what it thinks is up. Link to map in my signature.

I think the cam belt interval is 10 years or 150k.
If you're lucky you might see someone's written the mileage on the cover when they did it, or see evidence that the cover has been removed in the past.

I just paid £90 for a Gates kit (including tensioners and water pump) and £150 for a mobile mechinic (who is awesome!) to do it.

Main other expense is the dual mass flywheel. When it's failing you'll hear an aperiodic rattle/tick at idle.

If you're looking for some 'easy' jobs to get you started then it won't be long before you need:
* ABS sensors
* drop links
* front bottom swivel joints

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do NOT leave diagnosing the depollution message, get it done asap! One of the more serious problems that cause the depollution message is a blocked DPF filter. That can cause the turbo to blow if left.

You need to get the faults read with Diagbox/PP2000 and preferably live data also to check what is actually going on when running.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all the sound advice, what a great site, and everyone is so helpful, yes I'm going to get this done, one other thing would anyone recommend doing a service before I get the car put on a diagnostic or after? Thanks again ( if any of you need any electrical advice just let me know ???? I'm a spark)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts