Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I just bought a 307 1.4 HDI. I live in Ireland so the small engine is better for road tax reasons. The car has a few problems. There's sometimes no power other times it's ok. The ABS light was on, I got the car scanned and the rear sensor was replaced but the light is still on. There's some oil leaking from the gearbox, I will clean it up and see exactly where it's leaking. The previous owner said it started leaking after a clutch change earlier this year. Lastly diagnostics. It's very expensive to get a scan in Ireland 50-80.00 plus vat. I been told by some people Lexia others say Autocom. It's only for occasional use. I have a VAG scanner that does OBD. Any suggestions welcome and thanks for reading this!

·
5,838 Posts
Depends on Year Lexia works on all Diesels. Most standard OBDC/Generic Readers will only work with diesels cars from (allegedly mid 2004) but 2005/6 more often

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

The 1.4 HDi are cracking cars, i have one :D

What year is your car?
Mileage?

From what you have described it seems like the your Rear main seal has failed. I am afraid if that is the case the only way to replace it, is by removing the gearbox.

Is the oil clear around the gearbox?

Are you losing any engine oil? how often do you have to top up?

Adam :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
If its gear oil (gear oil stinks) then it will most likely be a driveshaft seal.

which could have been damaged when the clutch has been changed. Driveshaft seals are cheap and i dont think it takes too long to have it changed.

ODB adapters and cheap scanners have been reported tobe unreliable. I have a bluetooth adapter, its pretty basic and doesnt give access to many advanced options and sensors that PP2000 with a lexia interface does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2004 with 170K on the clock. It's been well driven and well minded. The oil smells like gear oil. I only drove the car home, 18 miles, it drove well and badly I was thinking the turbos dying?
If the turbo has gone plus gearbox out for a crank seal buying a diagnostic interface might be a bit pointless as the car probably wouldn't be worth fixing??. There's also ABS problem.
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's a 2004 with 170K on the clock. It's been well driven and well minded. The oil smells like gear oil. I only drove the car home, 18 miles, it drove well and badly I was thinking the turbos dying?
If the turbo has gone plus gearbox out for a crank seal buying a diagnostic interface might be a bit pointless as the car probably wouldn't be worth fixing??. There's also ABS problem.
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming
170K is not a lot for these engines. Provided that these engines are well maintained and serviced regularly you should easily be able to achieve 300k.

If the oil is definitely clear, its more than likely going to be gearbox oil. If that is the case it will not be an expensive job.

Try giving the underside of the engine a thorough clean and inspect where the oil is leaking from. It may just be that the gearbox oil is leaking from the drain plug.

If its definitely gearbox oil that is leaking it cannot be the rear main seal that is worn.

An example of Rear main seal that is worn:

1. Oil around gearbox

2. Depending on how bad the seal is worn you will experience the following:

2a. Engine oil level going down
2b. Clutch may start to slip

The 1.4 HDI engine are really bullet proof engines unlike the 1.6 HDi.

To examine turbo on the 1.4 HDI DV4 Engine you should:

1. Switch engine off
2. pop the bonnet up
3. There should be a rubber intake pipe that connects to the turbo, remove that. (generally held on with a jubilee clip).

4. put your fingers into the turbo and feel for any play in the turbo shaft.
If no play then turbo is fine.

As for lack of power i had the same on my 307 1.4 HDi, it turned out to be the EGR valve that was gummed up/sticking and was affecting the cars performance.

I did not remove & clean my EGR valve as it required some spare time to do so. What i did and was advised by great members on here to remove the EGR rubber pipe of the solenoid and stick a golf tee on the end of the pipe :cool:

After a couple of days of driving i had noticed a huge improvement in performance and it made me comfortable in setting off at roundabouts and overtaking on motorways.

I would advise you to carry out the above and also give the car a full service.

When was the last time the air filter was changed?

Hope you have found my advice useful :thumb:

If you have any problems give us a shout and let us know how you get on :)

Adam :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
170K is not a lot for these engines. Provided that these engines are well maintained and serviced regularly you should easily be able to achieve 300k.

If the oil is definitely clear, its more than likely going to be gearbox oil. If that is the case it will not be an expensive job.

Try giving the underside of the engine a thorough clean and inspect where the oil is leaking from. It may just be that the gearbox oil is leaking from the drain plug.

If its definitely gearbox oil that is leaking it cannot be the rear main seal that is worn.

An example of Rear main seal that is worn:

1. Oil around gearbox

2. Depending on how bad the seal is worn you will experience the following:

2a. Engine oil level going down
2b. Clutch may start to slip

The 1.4 HDI engine are really bullet proof engines unlike the 1.6 HDi.

To examine turbo on the 1.4 HDI DV4 Engine you should:

1. Switch engine off
2. pop the bonnet up
3. There should be a rubber intake pipe that connects to the turbo, remove that. (generally held on with a jubilee clip).

4. put your fingers into the turbo and feel for any play in the turbo shaft.
If no play then turbo is fine.

As for lack of power i had the same on my 307 1.4 HDi, it turned out to be the EGR valve that was gummed up/sticking and was affecting the cars performance.

I did not remove & clean my EGR valve as it required some spare time to do so. What i did and was advised by great members on here to remove the EGR rubber pipe of the solenoid and stick a golf tee on the end of the pipe :cool:

After a couple of days of driving i had noticed a huge improvement in performance and it made me comfortable in setting off at roundabouts and overtaking on motorways.

I would advise you to carry out the above and also give the car a full service.

When was the last time the air filter was changed?

Hope you have found my advice useful :thumb:

If you have any problems give us a shout and let us know how you get on :)

Adam :thumb:
Hi Adam

Thanks for the detailed info. I feel better about the car now. I don't think I'll get to do anything to her today as it's a typical Irish summer day (rain). I will get the underside cleaned when weather improves and make sure where the oil is coming from. Is the gearbox hard to remove if necessary? I usually drive VAG cars and stopping/deleting the EGR usually puts on the check engine light. Is it the same with Peugeots?
I will do what I can today (the wife has a long list of chores she wants done for the weekend) and report back

Thanks again

·
Registered
286 Posts
Glad to help :)

Blanking off the EGR valve with a golf tee or blanking plate on the peugeot 307 1.4 HDi will not throw up any faultcodes or bring up an engine management light. This is because the EGR valve on this model is vacuum operated and does not have an Electronic solenoid mounted onto the EGR valve unlike the 1.6 Hdi.

As for removing the gearbox, i am not really to sure but can't think it would be that difficult for anyone that is reasonably competent and mechanical minded. Last summer i did have my gearbox removed for a clutch replacement on my 307 1.4 Hdi but had the work done by a garage.

Adam :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to help :)

Blanking off the EGR valve with a golf tee or blanking plate on the peugeot 307 1.4 HDi will not throw up any faultcodes or bring up an engine management light. This is because the EGR valve on this model is vacuum operated and does not have an Electronic solenoid mounted onto the EGR valve unlike the 1.6 Hdi.

As for removing the gearbox, i am not really to sure but can't think it would be that difficult for anyone that is reasonably competent and mechanical minded. Last summer i did have my gearbox removed for a clutch replacement on my 307 1.4 Hdi but had the work done by a garage.

Adam :cool:
Hi Adam, more thanks for replying. I changed the clutch in a 406 a few years ago major pain getting the release lever pin out. I am going to check it all out tomorrow. Someone told me the cat could be blocked hence no power. I was advised to gut it (how)? as it won't make a difference to the NCT (MOT) in Ireland. I saw a write up on this forum about how to fit the ABS sensor properly so I'll check if mine was done properly. I know the oil leak could be any number of things so a good steam tomorrow afternoon.
I assume it doesn't have a DMF? If I have to pull the gearbox to do the back seal does the flywheel need new bolts? Is there any website I can get torque settings etc?
Thanks again for all the info
:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just curious what turbo is fitted to the 1.4 HDi because I've never come accross a turbo without play in the shaft. Turbos normally suffer as a result of carbon build up which causes the waste gate to stick or the vanes to stick on a VNT. Otherwise they're usually pretty reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts