Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just purchased a used Peugeot 206 HDI diesel 1.4 litre engine. I know nothing about cars and eager to learn so that i have some general knowledge on my vehicle. It is my first car and currently learning to drive.

I was told that the car smokes slightly once started up and that this is normal for Diesel engines. I have had few people to confirm that this is normal for Diesels.

Is this normal?!

Briefly: Its a pale white smoke with a slight smell of Diesel on start up with a chug sound to the engine. It lasts as long as the car is cold and once the car has been running and had chance to warm up its fine...no smoke and no chugging.

Any solutions?! If there is something wrong, would you cost much to fix?! Is it just in need of a good service? Could anyone adivce anything?!

Thanks
Zoe xxx:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Penny206 said:
Hi,

I have just purchased a used Peugeot 206 HDI diesel 1.4 litre engine. I know nothing about cars and eager to learn so that i have some general knowledge on my vehicle. It is my first car and currently learning to drive.

I was told that the car smokes slightly once started up and that this is normal for Diesel engines. I have had few people to confirm that this is normal for Diesels.

Is this normal?!

Briefly: Its a pale white smoke with a slight smell of Diesel on start up with a chug sound to the engine. It lasts as long as the car is cold and once the car has been running and had chance to warm up its fine...no smoke and no chugging.

Any solutions?! If there is something wrong, would you cost much to fix?! Is it just in need of a good service? Could anyone adivce anything?!

Thanks
Its normal for it to blow out smoke on starting. You would see slight smoke on gear changes if u where behind the car. Don,t worry about it, just check the oil level weekly. I had it on a company 307 HDI and it does it on the 206HDI i have just bought and it has only 26k on the clock.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Penny206 said:
Hi,

Is this normal?!

Thanks
dont worry about it, i get this all the time, but mine is a petrol. being at a top of a hill in the middle of the yorkshire moors for a few days is bound to get condensation in the exhaust system.:thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also have purchased this same model, wondered if I could ask you a question alittle off topic, im pretty happy with the 206 apart from one thing, the gear change, i dont find the long change a problem however changing between 1-2 can feel very clunky esspecially first thing when its cold. I found that if I change into Nuetral or apply pressure to the left and then pull it slowly into 2nd it goes in without noise and smoothly, this means the gear change takes alittle longer.

Ive heard alot of people commenting on the gear shift, and Ive googled gear linkages, ive seen some Group N ones which look more solid. Would replacing the linkages fix this? If so, can I use these on the hdi? and is it a big job?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts