Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 59 plate partner,

for years I have jump started vehicles with pos to pos and neg to neg

on my van, I can get to the pos easily, but not the neg, there is a metal stud to the right of the battery on the inside of the wing, when I test battery I use this to give me a reading,

what is the best way to jump start this van and to jump start from the van, as when I try it now, no matter what cables I use (have a few sets) I cant seem to get any power down the cables?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The recommended way is to connect Positive to Positive on both the batteries and the Negative on the good / booster battery to an earth point on the vehicle which has the drained battery.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The recommended way is to connect Positive to Positive on both the batteries and the Negative on the good / booster battery to an earth point on the vehicle which has the drained battery.
Yup, as far away as possible from the battery - reduces the risk of a spark igniting the hydrogen from the battery and covering you with sulphuric acid.

Makes a cnut of a mess.

**Also consider checking your handbook. Just checked your handbook, jumpstarting is ok

A lot of cars these days don't take too kindly to being jump started, the prefered method being to remove the battery and charge it.

Might work 99 times out of 100. That 1 time it doesn't could fry your ECU.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah, positive-positive and negative-earth. I've always done it that way.
As said above, pick an earth point as far away from the battery as possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, as far away as possible from the battery - reduces the risk of a spark igniting the hydrogen from the battery and covering you with sulphuric acid.

Makes a cnut of a mess.

**Also consider checking your handbook. Just checked your handbook, jumpstarting is ok

A lot of cars these days don't take too kindly to being jump started, the prefered method being to remove the battery and charge it.

Might work 99 times out of 100. That 1 time it doesn't could fry your ECU.
Happened to me with an Astra van, tried to bump a Merc sprinter and it fried the ecu that controls engine temp. It was a cheap (£60) ecu from Vauxhall but i was lucky it didn't fry another one.

·
6,077 Posts
I always use a good earth point on the engine bellhousing bolt or similar as current then does not have to go via engine earth strap etc which may have some resistance as every little helps:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts