Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to DIY car maintenance, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

A couple of years ago one of my work colleagues was helping me to do an oil change on my car, and he used his trolley jack to lift the car from the sill jacking point, without any additional padding between the jack and the sill. The sill began to crumple slowly, so I immediately told him to put it back down, and then we continued using the jack supplied with the car instead.

Ever since then I've always been a bit concerned about jacking the car from that spot again. It's never come up in an MOT, but when I arranged for tyres-on-the-drive to come and change my tyres, the guy pointed it out and said he would avoid it and he jacked it somewhere under the car I didn't see where.

So my question is, where can I jack the car if I want to avoid using that sill, and if I want to use axle stands where would I position them?

Any advice is appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

I will try to add a picture soon.

·
5,987 Posts
Use a trolley Jack under the rear subframe mount/bolt and axle stands under the main subframe rails

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If the "jacking point" crumpled using a trolley jack but was ok with the cars emergency jack then I would say he was not on the hard point but just the sill. There are cross beams at the front of the car where you can jack the car safely.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was told that those jacking points are supposed to be the most strongest part of any car. hence why they are jacking points

My mechanic fitter friend uses his two post ramp and always jacks cars up on those knife edge sills ... makes me cringe

He did it to mine and it crumbled ... hence further investigation the steel was weak and rotten so now replaced and strengthened

I personally use suspension arms or arm bushes and support on the centre ski frame rails on timbers
I never would put a trolley jack cup on those sill edges

1 - 4 of 4 Posts