Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jacked my car up today for first time. First time learner I know :) and wondering if I'm doing it right. I placed the jack on the chassis rail first but I didn't feel safe with it on the bar? So I then placed the jack round the nut and seem to be able to lift the car better. I then put the aixsle stands on the chassis rail hence where all the Marks are. Can I put the aixle stand where I've put the arrow on the picture? Cos then it will Sit better with it been abit more of a surface? Using these tools.

Attachments

·
3,287 Posts
Yep...all looks good to me...well done for NOT relying on a trolley jack and using axle stands...top marks

·
3,287 Posts
You could put them on the jacking points but it might damage the sill.the area you circled looks good to me...perhaps there is a front lower suspention area is a viable option..but not where it moves..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this is hard to make out but this is taken out of My haynes book. Where I've been placing my jack round the nut on the first few pics. I've circled it on this pic. It's just on the edge of the pic. Is they anywhere on this pic I can place aixsle stands?

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
imo the only safe places to put a jack or axle stands is the jacking points on the sill or the subframes (not the rear beam though, that'll deform).

I've seen loads of Peugeots fail mots because someone has jacked under the 'chassis' rails or spreaders, dented and scratched them to buggery and then they've rusted out.

The rails aren't designed to take point loads like a jack or axle stand.

If you have no option other than the rails, spread the load with a decent sized chunk of wood.

I only watched enough of that video to see that the bit of wood he planned to use was woefully insufficient and that he pointed at where the jacking point is on a pug and said "avoid this bit"...

(Oh, and I don't know where "aixsle" came from, it's "axle", it's even written on the box...)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thought I'd better watch the rest of the video.

If you want to effectively write off a pug x04, x06 or x07 series car, follow his instructions precisely.

It'll put a lovely dent in your frame rails, deform the spreaders and probably give you a nice raised portion in the floor inside - handy if your legs are a bit short...

·
Registered
357 Posts
So jack here? Where to put the aixle stands? Can you check the haynes pic I put please and explain? Don't put nothing on the chassis beams?
That is fine to jack on, axle stands can go under the sill jacking points - use some wood to reduce slipping.

Or the other way round - jack on the jacking points and put the stands under that bolt.

There really aren't that many 'safe' places to support cars these days...

On the pic from the haynes you should be able to make out the subframe - the thicker metal part that the suspension and stuff bolts to - almost anywhere on that is jackable usually.

Take it slow, watch carefully, if anything looks like it's starting to bend even slightly then remove the load and reposition.

If you use real wood under sill jacking points, orient the grain so it's going across, not along, the sill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Could You use numbers on the haynes manual pic to point me in the direction of the suspension bolts and things? So try to stay away from the chassis rail?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts