Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My beloved was written off last week
I was cruising down one of cornwall's Beautiful country lanes when a renault megane comes flying towards me like a bat out of hell, i stopped in preparation to reverse, he mounts the grass verge flips his car on the side and sandwiches it between me and the verge stoving in my door :'(

So 2 Fire Trucks, 2 Ambulances, A road sectioned off by police, the guy had to be cut out of his car as he was falling in and out of conciousness
This of course meant i had lots of firemen and their equipment on my roof!!! :'G

There has Been no response from the 3rd party, my insurance has offered me £1600 which i have taken.. ive lost £900 of that in my asshole of an excess and ive claimed back my salvage which means ive lost another £310
But the Peugeot is only a Cat C write off.. and im damn determined it will live on!!

Ive attached some pictures of the damage for you guys to have a look but i would also like your opinion, im not particularily worried that there is damage to the door pillar A frame, the angle of the impact would suggest his roof missed it and went straight for the door.. but im worried about the dent in the pillar!!, could this be knocked out would it cause structural damage? if so then why is it only a cat C write off and not B?? would it fail its mot in several weeks time?

Ive already arranged a Black Door and Wing from my local scrappy :D as for the roof, well im just gonna push it out and deal with the scratches later..
Hope you enjoyed something to read.. let me know what you think :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh.. as for injurys i have sustained whiplash to my left
The gent was put into hospital with a suspected fracture complaining of back pain
As far as im aware he was discharged that evening with painkillers.

R

·
0 Posts
bloody heck glad to hear your not to injurd.go to the docs and play on ya whip lash big time ive known people to get as much as 6k for that..;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
sorry to hear that.

I'll bet most of that damage at the bottom of the pillar could be dealt with by a good PDR guy doing a glue pull.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
bloody heck glad to hear your not to injurd.go to the docs and play on ya whip lash big time ive known people to get as much as 6k for that..;)
Glad you`re ok ,

ps i got £9K for whiplash , keep making appointments for pain killers at the Doc`s since your lower back "is sore and you`re having problems sleeping , once the pain wakens you, you have to get up and walk about to relieve it" or so i`ve heard ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I remember when I had my accident I never wanted to claim for whiplash but my solicitor told me he was putting in the claim for it as the other party was. In the end my claim was worth £3k and because the accident was 2/3 my fault 1/3 theirs I got £1k out of it. Go for it mate.

Great to see it's going to live on though. Hateful seeing it happen, just got my 206 back last week after the person I sold it to had an accident and I just happened to come across it (it's Cat D damage and very easily fixed though).

J

·
0 Posts
Where abouts did it happen Pete? Been quite a few accidents on our roads in the last 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you have to be careful as he might of bent the chassis of the car if he hit you hard enough. A lot of body shops will do a laser alignment for you on request and its not impossible to repair a A pillar i have seen it done. Just expensive and a lot of cutting and welding.

As for the claim all that shit i would claim for. If it was a "bump" in the supermarket then i would say it was stupid but considering the damage done to the car i am sure you had a few extra people in the car with you at the time lol.....

Just kidding. However i would DEFINITELY put a claim in dude, you have lost enough already!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Insurance Categories are as follows:

A = When a vehicle is issued a certificate of destruction and NO PARTS are able to be salvaged. Vehicles that contain bodily fluids are Cat A (Blood , snot and guts etc)

B = The vehicles bodyshell is beyond repair and no replacement bodyshell exists to repair it with (some Jap cars have no bodyshell available as a replacement part)

C = The cost of repairs exceed the vehicles pre accident value (PAV)

D = The cost of repairs DO NOT exceed PAV or the vehicle was a repairable proposition but the insurance company decided not to repair , this could be if further damage could reasonably expected to be found should stripping take place. Generally when a vehicle repair reached 75% of PAV it would become a CAT D.

All insurance companies work differently though and have set procedures , the above are pretty much the basics.

£310 retainment fee , the tight bar stewards !! I would have expected maximum 10% of PAV as a retention fee.

The screen pillar damage appears superficial , I would suggest welding small lugs on and pulling out with a slide hammer attachment etc. then body filler. The car would only fail the MOT on 'sharp edges' etc. It's hard to comment on the A Pillar behind the door as its not readily accessible to see. Replacing the whole pillar is a big job , screen , seats , dash , carpets , trims all out so avoid where possible.

As the car is now a recorded previous CAT C any future insurance valuations would be based on Glass' Guide 'Trade' value , adjusted for mileage and condition. That is to say the car would be de valued in the event of any future claims.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
bloody hell another 307 :lol: so that makes me, jazz and you...as far as i can remember :lol:

but glad your ok mate.

i would defo jump on the band wagon of putting a claim in...theres that saying "where's there a blame, there's a claim"

did police charge him for the accident?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as for a claim, yeah i already have.. im not sure if the police did charge him or not?.. solicitors are dealing with it, been to hospital and i have physio some point next week

Im still left feeling its gonna fail :'( and i dont really want to be getting pillars welded in its really just as you say.. superficial.. from the picture i can judge that the angle his roof collided with me he just stuffed the door in.. the arch liner was pulled off when his car was pulled back out as for the pillar damage im putting that down to fire dept's huge equipment

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey dude, got her back..
Well ive had an mot engineer check it over, the pillar wont be an mot failure, as you said the damage is superficial.. i just need to find a door now, the garage i went to was a 5 door :mad:

J

·
0 Posts
did police charge him for the accident?
I'd be 99.99999% sure our Police won't be charging him :nono:

When I had my accident... German tourist pulled out into me whilst I was travelling at 50mph :eek: and he didn't get charged with anything.... apparently, unless someone was injured to the extent that they were taken to hospital by ambulance, they won't prosecute :nono: He would have been arrested for dangerous driving if they had.

Too much paperwork me thinks :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts