Peugeot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the shed decided not to come to life this morning with a flat brand new halfords battery. (307 2.0 110 8v dturbo.) There is no codes on planet...Now my question is where do i start to look for the drain....or how....it must be draining somewhere as its a spanker batt and the alternater is fine....Please help....:D:D:D

·
5,017 Posts
the shed decided not to come to life this morning with a flat brand new halfords battery. (307 2.0 110 8v dturbo.) There is no codes on planet...Now my question is where do i start to look for the drain....or how....it must be draining somewhere as its a spanker batt and the alternater is fine....Please help....:D:D:D
even new batteries can be duff, have you checked it ??
what made you put a new battery on recently ??

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even new batteries can be duff, have you checked it ??
what made you put a new battery on recently ??
The car was struggling to start even when warm and this site reccomended that i change the battery, the coolant temp sensor (i knew that needed doing as my temp kept jumping to max even when cold.) and the fuel filter(no filings)....only thing left to change is the starter but i dont think its that....now the battery is flat in the mornings....its getting worse not better although when the battery is charged it is starting a little better although not great...still at least 3 hard trys of the key and then it just about catches........its killing me...:mad:

S

·
0 Posts
In theory economy mode should be kicking in preventing this, shows how rubbish it is!

Have you got any aftermarket things running that might be staying on?

Also check boot light and glovebox light are going off when closed, these used to kill my 306 off (admittedly over a weekend of no use) took me months to realise the boot light wasnt going off!!

J

·
0 Posts
Economy mode can only protect things that are functioning correctly, i.e. if there is genuinely an electrical fault with something draining the battery that shouldn't be, how can it disable it.... which is all economy mode will/can do.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
peugeot have a deal on at the moment £43 for a good battery with 3 yrs warranty !! :thumb:
i got mine free by taking the in-guarantee one out me car and takin it back to halfords....2 yrs 8 month old....how lucky was that....it had a 3 yr guarantee....and i never owned the car then....:thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
That just sounds strange. How are you defo sure that it isn't the alternator? Have you had it off and tested it?
A simple meter test should resolve this.

are the terminals thight, not rusted or crusted?

if you are confident it is not the alternator - maybe do a battery drain test - over 3 hours should show you something.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That just sounds strange. How are you defo sure that it isn't the alternator? Have you had it off and tested it?
No i havn't had it off but testing with a miltimeter its pushing 14.4v i believe it read when i had it battery tested....also it started first time this morning....this is getting head burning...

as for this 'if you are confident it is not the alternator - maybe do a battery drain test - over 3 hours should show you something.' can you elaborate on how to do this...

also 'Is it a diode in the alternator draining it? Not the fan running on?' how would i tell if it was a diode doing it....can you explain this for me...

one other thing the car suffers with is it doesn't get as hot as it used to....it used to sit between 90 and the line below, but since the sensor started playing up it sits on about a quarter (ive changed the sensor) and doesn't really get any hotter....im worried this will affect its regen process...( ive checked in planet and its partially loaded having not done a regen for about 300k...(average of 650k between regen's))..Would it be worth changing the thermostat just to be on the safe side....

Thanks for all the help guys...:thumb:

·
Registered
405 Posts
When the car was running, did you test the battery to see what input it was getting? The alternator could be find but a lose connection somewhere. The battery should read about the same as the reading you got from the alternator.

J

·
0 Posts
When the car was running, did you test the battery to see what input it was getting? The alternator could be find but a lose connection somewhere. The battery should read about the same as the reading you got from the alternator.
Isn't this all one of the same thing?? i.e. if you test the battery with the engine running, you are bound to get the 14V+ with alternator output. I don't see how you can test one independent of the other with the engine running.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A drain test is done over 3,6, 9, 12... hours, you just go back to the car after a certain time to check the power in the batter with your multimeter, if it's low, then it wont start the car especially in when its below 4 degres c.

Personally, I'd change check the power the night before and then in the morning before starting it, and if its dropped change it and hopefully be done with this problem.

you can also unplug the battery overnight if do you think the battery is good and then in the morning it should start, but dont know what impact this will have on your car/keys/ecu etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The alternator could be giving out the output, but somewhere between the wires could be damaged. You can test them separately. I've just done this at college. Just cause the alternator is giving it out doesn't mean anything if its not getting to the battery. If there's nothing running or draining the battery, then it has be something to do with the alternator or the job of it.

J

·
0 Posts
Where would you be testing the output of the alternator then? because I've always seen it done, and would do so myself, across the battery terminals.

J

·
0 Posts
As I thought, but that isn't testing the output of the alternator as mellkat86 said previously as that is looking at voltage across the battery and not checking the actual output in case of problems in the wiring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.