Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently had my MOT where I had both my rear brake discs and pads replaced.
Since I have had the car back I've noticed the braking feels quite different to how it did before.
The brakes feel fine if I gently ease on the brake pedal to stop, however if I attempt to brake sharply/quickly, it feels as though there is a bit of a delay between pressing the pedal all the way down and that pressure being felt in the braking.
For example, if I sharply press the brake pedal all the way down, I don't come to an immediate stop (unless I'm going very slowly), instead it feels more like a gentle controlled stop with a tight finish.
This makes for nice smooth braking and I can always successfully stop, but the rate at which I am slowing down doesn't feel relative to how far down/fast the pedal is pressed.

I know new brakes can feel different after fitting and can take some time to bed in, so I have driven about 250 miles since the MOT but it still feels the same.

The pedal doesn't feel soft/too low, the brake fluid is full, the vacuum hose seems fine (the pedal drops when engine starts after pressing it several times with the engine off) and the booster appears to hold the pressure fine (pedal doesn't push back up when holding it down, turning the engine off and leaving it pressed for 30 secs). Unless I'm braking hard, the braking feels otherwise normal.

Can anyone advise why the new brakes may feel this way?

The front brakes were recently fitted (by another garage) and this issue did not occur with them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It sounds like the replacement braking surfaces are harder, and require more heat before the coefficient of friction rises, hence the delay. They will probably improve after more use has roughened them up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts