1 - lock car with remote;
2 - try to open locked boot;
3 - open car with remote;
4 - boot opens with the other doors.

or,

2 - leave boot alone (do not try to open);
4 - only car doors open - boot remains locked.

Is this 'normal' - is this a 'feature' or is the boot buggered?

Ta

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dont know but on mine...if the car is running you cant open the boot without first opening the drivers door....its either fooked or its some kind of anti-empty my boot-device..you know for when your at lights etc....although i suppose you have to be really thick to not notice someone open your boot when ur in the car......:eek:

·
5,040 Posts
Just noticed this :

2 - try to open locked boot;
4 - boot opens with the other doors.

Ta
nope mine doesnt do this, the boot only opens when i press the centre 'boot' unlock button

·
5,040 Posts
Dont know but on mine...if the car is running you cant open the boot without first opening the drivers door....its either fooked or its some kind of anti-empty my boot-device..you know for when your at lights etc....although i suppose you have to be really thick to not notice someone open your boot when ur in the car......:eek:
my boot will open with the engine running for everyone but Mrs T. i think/thought it was just her.

·
Registered
387 Posts
On our 307 the boot will not open if the engine is on, it's an anti theft idea to stop people from opening your boot at traffic lights etc. We have to either switch off the ignition or open the drivers door to allow the boot to be opened.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the two button key fob - I wonder if it is something to do with the GLX feature described as "automatic open/close boot lid".

Prior to yesterday, I never 'checked' the boot when leaving the car - so as far as I know, it's always done it.

I suppose when your returning to the car with the weekly shop that it might be useful to have the boot spring open without having to use the handle. Dunno...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Clanless,

Mine is doing the same. :(
I think the button on the boot is sticking when you press it.
When you unlock the doors, the boot opens because the button is sticking in the unlock position.
I'm going to try some WD40 on it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ta Janner.

As your car does the same - I'm thinking that this is normal.

I suspect its not the handle sticking as I can make the boot open or close according to the sequence in my original post. I stood in the driveway for a good 5 minutes trying each combination of steps and each time the boot opened when expected.

I will give it a squirt of wd40 a like though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well mine wasn't doing it until recently.
I have a habbit of checking the doors and the boot when I lock it up.
I came back to the car the other day, and while walking up to it I pressed the unlock button on the key, and the boot popped open.
If this is a feature I think it's pretty stupid. If I hadn't noticed the boot had opened, I would have driven off with it open.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next time you lock the car, don't try the boot - then unlock with the remote and see if the boot pops open. I've just checked mine and all is back to normal as I didn't check the boot after locking.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today - boot did not open - because I didn't check the boot after it had been locked. I'm convinced that this is either a 'feature' or a foible. one ort other.

Stubbo what happened?

S

·
0 Posts
Im afraid to say on both occasions my boot opened!

I'm going to keep trying it though to see if it ever does what yours does!

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is definately a fault, on my car at least.
Today I opened the boot and looked at the button, it was stuck in slightly.
I shut the boot and it popped open right in front of me. After slamming it a bit harder it stayed shut. I tried Spraying the button and the catch with WD40, but It's difficult to get at the button from outside. I will have to take the plastic pannel off the inside and see if I can get at it from behind.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is bizarre - if the handle is sticking - I can make it stick when I want it to.

Its the same as 'why does my engine have two oil filler caps' connundrum.

I guess we will never know.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i can remember on my 307 the boot would stick/seemed locked. i took the lock to pieces and found the plastic that was surrounding the latch was coming away...i took it all off so it was just the metal hook and it was all good after.

mind you in both my 307 and focus, the boot will lock when your in gear to stop the crooks at the traffic lights... anti-theft feature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts